• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
You believe ?

Friends in high places Bob ?

The difference in value between $300k and a junior development contract sure is a whole lotta love

I’m calling bullshit though on the basis that there is no romance without finance

Hearsay not facts. But reliable hearsay.

More hearsay would suggest the Pasitoa and Gordon are not too far off the mark. I see both at the higher end of the echelon in the next 5 years so that may be the romance their looking for. It’s always been a numbers game, and when we have 2 very talented players who are in the 1%ers their future looks bright with dollars and a ‘lotta love’.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
It’s not rugby I’m knocking, it’s the chest puffing about how great the QRU and Ra are and putting Rugby on a high pedestal,what fun would have a certain teacher/coach have had if he had gone to Palm Beach instead of Kings
Agree. I opt to be optimistic. Negative shit gets us nowhere if we are not willing to help fix the problem. Money and volunteering will help.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Back to GPS rugby.Over at my B in laws house last night(his eldest finished at BBC last year).
He reminded me how under 13 does nor reflect on 1st xv results to a major degree.
Last years undefeated NC 1st xv where beaten 51 nil by an undefeated BBC team when they were in 13A s.
TSS that were 2nd in 1st xv last year had a mercy rule in place when they were 13A s that game would stop 10 mins early if they were down by 50 points-and it happened a number of times.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Good thing then that they both started trucking them in from Grade 9 and onwards , otherwise , they may have beaten a couple of other GPS Schools who are now racing each other to an Opens 3rd entrant team within 3 to 4 years ( ala AAGPS Schools , High and Grammar) given the state of their junior programs and a forward policy that seems to refuse to do anything about it.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Sadly, the "arms race" (and doing Grades 11-12 over 3 years BS) that has become GPS rugby will be it's undoing.....perhaps sooner than 3-4 years. The insurance companies and lawyers are well involved.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Schoolboy rugby is an U18 comp.

Doing senior over 3 years only works if you are 16 in year 11, plenty of lads now 17 in year 11 would not be permitted to play schoolboy rugby in their final year if senior was over three years.

Of course this just means more 16 year olds targeted in year 10 , or 16 year olds starting at "new" schools and having a second crack at year 10. Same end result , a whole bunch of 18 year olds in year 12.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Websters Dictionary states:
Metamorphosis is a process involving a conspicuous and relatively abrupt change in the structure such as the change in a Nudgee or TSS under 14A side in one year- and their 15 A side the very next year .

S

Sgt Slaughter

GO haven’t you heard that you can’t believe everything you read. Some good views in this article but not consistent with what is happening in QLD and maybe other states.

Not a bad read and appreciate the effort in the stats, in saying that I agree numbers are not always a true reflection of the issues at hand as identified in the article - but very interesting food for thought.

In regards to school rugby recruitment you do have to question whether recruiting junior RL stars on Rugby scholarships is actually helping the sport or hurting it? - I get schools want to have the best side they can to win the comp, but a high % of players go back to RL not just for the $ or opportunities but for the enjoyment of RL.

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't benefit the game outside of school footy, Ponga etc were always heading back to the game they were playing previously - in regards to Super Rugby Teams not identifying talent so many examples:

Samu Kerevi was not picked up by anyone after finishing school at BSHS, after he left school he went and played U20 for Fiji and was picked up from his performance there.

Nemani Nandolo - had no offers after a dominating year at Nudgee and ended up at the Crusaders.

Matt To'omua - after the GPS season at BSHS no offers from anywhere excluding the one that sent him to the Brumbies

Tevita Kuridrani, David Poccock, Sean McMahon the list goes on - has it improved? with the inclusion of the URC U19 comp I would say yes. GPS exclusion (self inflected or not) from the National Secondary School Boy Comp I would say no

S

Sgt Slaughter

On other news 2 of the BSHS 1st XV players that have been out injured since last year may play half game for the 2nd XV today at West - it will be interesting to see how that plays out

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree SS , the U19 NRC has been good to identify talent missed during the school pathways.

But am not totally sure that GPS lads missing from Qld Schoolboys is a missed opportunity, could look at it as a chance for a bunch of kids that would have been otherwise overlooked to be noticed and not getting pushed aside for those with a big reputation from playing GPS rugby.

Assuming the Academy system still manages to pick up the best of what the GPS + MCA and U18’s running around in Colts has to offer , you potentially have double the exposure of lads to have a decent look at .

That’s got to be better than predominantly looking at what 9 schools have managed to produce.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree SS , the U19 NRC has been good to identify talent missed during the school pathways.

But am not totally sure that GPS lads missing from Qld Schoolboys is a missed opportunity, could look at it as a chance for a bunch of kids that would have been otherwise overlooked to be noticed and not getting pushed aside for those with a big reputation from playing GPS rugby.

Assuming the Academy system still manages to pick up the best of what the GPS + MCA and U18’s running around in Colts has to offer , you potentially have double the exposure of lads to have a decent look at .

That’s got to be better than predominantly looking at what 9 schools have managed to produce.

"produce" in the loosest sense of the word

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
"produce" in the loosest sense of the word
Maybe change it to “present” then , as in on a platter.

It could just be due to resources , but you can’t say the rep pathways here in Qld have ventured far and wide to find the best talent in the state outside what is right in front of them here in Brisbane. Maybe they think the GPS rugby programs will recruit the best talent , so let’s save a bit of time and money and predominantly look there.

That’s all I’m saying , I think it’s good for a bunch of non GPS kids to get some exposure.

S

Sgt Slaughter

The one thing Ive enjoyed over the years about the GPS trials and the QSS trials is you got to see the proof in the pudding, a superstar in 2018 had to measure up against a hungry youngster or someone who worked super hard over the summer in 2019 - I believe it keeps everyone honest and gives everyone an equal opportunity every year.

I also believe every player outside/inside of GPS footy have the same Colts/U18s opportunities as anyone else so I don't believe that is a valid argument - fundamentally speaking its robbing Peter to pay Paul, the middle tier and unselected players regardless of how good they are playing will be the ones sacrificed in the process and will have to rely on club platforms to play higher level footy.

I do however think the current structures does create better opportunities for other students outside of the GPS catchment - the simple question is why cant we have both, you widen your player catchment you get more people involved with footy. Restrictions create boundaries, boundaries that stops participation is not good for the game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe change it to “present” then , as in on a platter.

It could just be due to resources , but you can’t say the rep pathways here in Qld have ventured far and wide to find the best talent in the state outside what is right in front of them here in Brisbane. Maybe they think the GPS rugby programs will recruit the best talent , so let’s save a bit of time and money and predominantly look there.

That’s all I’m saying , I think it’s good for a bunch of non GPS kids to get some exposure.

said the exact same thing here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/schoolboy-side-controversy-may-have-silver-lining/

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
This may affect future scholarship applications. Many kids pinning their financial and future rugby success consider state representation an important CV item.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Went out to Wests last night to Watch BBC beat BSHS 6 or 7 tries to 1.
BBC defence was very very good except for 1st try when the RL star 13 fell off a simple tackle.
Bowyer was electrifying=2 tries
Foward pack were solid-with a very good rolling maul
BBC are very fit
BSHS will suprise teams-they did not put up white flag and 8 was a standout-but they need to be fitter..
Without Savage ( a huge loss to rugby) BBC wings did not look very quick-but I was told 1 was out injured.
I understand BBC had 4 out .
The match confirmed what I said a couple of weeks ago-BBC cannot beat TSS /NC without a top class 10 and Savage.
NC will struggle against TSS round 1 unless RP and Vella are 100% fit.
TSS firm favourites

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Accurate summation , however , TSS don’t have any great shakes at 10 , or at 9 , and would appear to be relying on U16 players as main strikes in their backline (with the exception of Samuela ) Additionally , the forward pack won’t provide much or any more power in the Collision than what High’s forward ball carriers will . TSS to be respected but I think you are putting them up because :

1. You know NC are very vulnerable to them in R1
2. Takes the pressure off NC favourites status

BBC backs haven’t played together much yet for various reasons and don’t yet have proper rhythm - but the draw favours BBC probably more than anyone and there will be plenty of time to finalise combinations and build rhythm