• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Credit to BSHS last night though that kept coming with plenty of will. Not really a “ pretty game” and heaps of bodies in and around the ball made it hard for the most part to get pace and consistent opportunity in the outside channel - more of a bruising belt fest. Be some sore lads today.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Not a bad read and appreciate the effort in the stats, in saying that I agree numbers are not always a true reflection of the issues at hand as identified in the article - but very interesting food for thought.

In regards to school rugby recruitment you do have to question whether recruiting junior RL stars on Rugby scholarships is actually helping the sport or hurting it? - I get schools want to have the best side they can to win the comp, but a high % of players go back to RL not just for the $ or opportunities but for the enjoyment of RL.
I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't benefit the game outside of school footy, Ponga etc were always heading back to the game they were playing previously - in regards to Super Rugby Teams not identifying talent so many examples:

Samu Kerevi was not picked up by anyone after finishing school at BSHS, after he left school he went and played U20 for Fiji and was picked up from his performance there.

Nemani Nandolo - had no offers after a dominating year at Nudgee and ended up at the Crusaders.

Matt To'omua - after the GPS season at BSHS no offers from anywhere excluding the one that sent him to the Brumbies

Tevita Kuridrani, David Poccock, Sean McMahon the list goes on - has it improved? with the inclusion of the URC U19 comp I would say yes. GPS exclusion (self inflected or not) from the National Secondary School Boy Comp I would say no

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
It’s RA and QRU ‘s job, not Schools to better the game.If Schools want to pick RL players for school or Rep teams so what!!.Complain if it’s an QRU team ,fair enough but Schools are not thinking about the big picture and why should they??.

S

Sgt Slaughter

It’s RA and QRU ‘s job, not Schools to better the game.If Schools want to pick RL players for school or Rep teams so what!!.Complain if it’s an QRU team ,fair enough but Schools are not thinking about the big picture and why should they??.

I don’t have an issue with it personally - in saying that I’m fairly sure school rugby is sanctioned through the QRU and/or RA so the bigger picture does affect everyone.

In terms of the current QSS changes I believe this illustrates schools trying to make changes to help improve the bigger picture as you put it.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
In the 15s Nudgee had big wins over Churchie in both A and Bs. Was told Churchie was missing several players from both teams so maybe to early to judge but alarm bells should be ringing. Any other results known for this age group?

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
I don’t have an issue with it personally - in saying that I’m fairly sure school rugby is sanctioned through the QRU and/or RA so the bigger picture does affect everyone.

In terms of the current QSS changes I believe this illustrates schools trying to make changes to help improve the bigger picture as you put it.
Like how? , one school, Terrace letting their students play Met Nth?,the way I see it the Schools rightly so are looking after themselves, not for one minute when they give a scholarship out do they think about where a student will go post School and your kidding yourself If you do.

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
In the 15s Nudgee had big wins over Churchie in both A and Bs. Was told Churchie was missing several players from both teams so maybe to early to judge but alarm bells should be ringing. Any other results known for this age group?

BBC made a comeback against a big yet unfit BSHS but gave up too many points early. GT beat IGS, but like BSHS, the Swich were also under strength due to RL commitments. BGS were stretched by Downlands but still got the chocolates. Hard to get a read on this age group after these matches, but it looks like BSHS will be too big and too strong for most again.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
quote="KFC, post: 1073854, member: 68289"]BBC made a comeback against a big yet unfit BSHS but gave up too many points early. GT beat IGS, but like BSHS, the Swich were also under strength due to RL commitments. BGS were stretched by Downlands but still got the chocolates. Hard to get a read on this age group after these matches, but it looks like BSHS will be too big and too strong for most again.[/quote]

Looks like GT are big improvers in under 15 age group and BBC having lost one match by(by 3 points)over last 3 years - slipping back.Expect a new look TSS as well.
In 14 As -Nudgee with 4 new Met North payers will be big improvers.

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
quote="KFC, post: 1073854, member: 68289"]BBC made a comeback against a big yet unfit BSHS but gave up too many points early. GT beat IGS, but like BSHS, the Swich were also under strength due to RL commitments. BGS were stretched by Downlands but still got the chocolates. Hard to get a read on this age group after these matches, but it looks like BSHS will be too big and too strong for most again.

Looks like GT are big improvers in under 15 age group and BBC having lost one match by(by 3 points)over last 3 years - slipping back.Expect a new look TSS as well.
In 14 As -Nudgee with 4 new Met North payers will be big improvers.[/quote]

Agree, this BBC team appears to be on the slide. They're a great team when in front but when pressure is applied can't seem to finish the job. GT are too small to make any impact in this group, they're a team of 5'11''/ 75kg's with no real impact players. Nudge 15's also new rep faces in the team as do Churchie. TSS well under the radar at this stage - anyone know anything?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah there are too many rep pathways for players. Need to make one path for players to go through.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah there are too many rep pathways for players. Need to make one path for players to go through.

That’s fine

So long as there isn’t an Academy consolidation

Everyone needs an Academy

Without multiple Academies there isn’t anywhere for multiple prodigies to attend

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Wednesday 19 June. FirstXV Trial game IGS v TSS.
Queens Rd, Ipswich.
6.30pm

Actually this will be very telling ( depending on who is available )

TSS are the owners of one of the best two forward packs in the competition v IGS that are the owners of one of the best two backlines in the competition

This is probably THE most intriguing match up of the preseason

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Actually this will be very telling ( depending on who is available )

TSS are the owners of one of the best two forward packs in the competition v IGS that are the owners of one of the best two backlines in the competition

This is probably THE most intriguing match up of the preseason

The suspense is killing me.The other forward pack(top 2)and the other backline are both Nudgee?
IGS have a great 9 and 10 but centres & wings ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Ethan King , Seamus King Smith , Christian Krause and (likely) Kedan Chung Tan complete the staple of one of the two best backlines in GPS Rugby this year ( if all healthy )

Ethan King especially I already have as the most underrated back in the competition. He’s absolutely for real