• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
The end of another rowing season, kudos to the men of the blue and white... However, this traditionally marks the time of pre-season moving into full swing for many schools. Anyone brave enough to throw out some top 3 predictions or dare I say perhaps what some team line-ups might resemble come term 3?

spud

Peter Burge (5)
The end of another rowing season, kudos to the men of the blue and white. However, this traditionally marks the time of pre-season moving into full swing for many schools. Anyone brave enough to throw out some top 3 predictions or dare I say perhaps what some team line-ups might resemble come term 3?
1. Nudgee
2. BBC
3. Ippy

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
1. Nudgee
2. BBC
3. Ippy

Agree that Ippy can do some damage with an upset or two. However, don’t see them in the 3. Don’t think we can leave TSS out of the top 3. The Firsts dominated BBC last year and the 16’s finished in a draw. .

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Wouldn’t read too much into that . TSS didn’t have a single U16 player in their Firsts last year - BBC were missing their 9,10, 12 ,13 , 15, 2 and 5 from the corresponding game in the previous season.

Having said that TSS will have a strong forward pack with Nongorr, Blyth , Douglas and Lyndon returning , and I hear , 1 or 2 new additions into the pack upfront . They’ll be Top 3

IGS don’t have a tight 5 . Hard to be Top 3 if you don’t have a tight 5 .

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'd say arguably having no u16's players in the firsts is a good thing. It allows the age group to stay together, win games and learn/develop their combinations even further.

TSS to be right up their at the business end as per usual.

Reactions: vac

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon TSS roll NC at Southport in R1

More punch and power in the forwards - this and being at home give them the advantage

Better U16 talent coming through v NC’s U17 and U16 ( in the backs ) boys to round them out and give them further advantage

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
I reckon TSS roll NC at Southport in R1

More punch and power in the forwards - this and being at home give them the advantage

Better U16 talent coming through v NC’s U17 and U16 ( in the backs ) boys to round them out and give them further advantage

Well home advantage hasn't really worked very well for TSS over the last 5-6 years, I think with 1 win from 3 and only 2 win from the last 6 years (??? from my bad memory).

And NC wasn't too far behind them last year in 16 a's (1 point), NC actually they beat TSS 16 a's fairly convincingly last year and whats-more NC flogged them in the 16 b's. So i don't get your comments. What basis do you make them from? Or just a NC dislike or hopeful wish comment?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
NC
IGS
BBC
TSS

Ipswich is the dark horse. BBC look good on paper but never put it together when it counts. TSS have some key players but there is a big gap in the skill coming through from what I can see. TSS recruitment maybe the changer. The Nudge looking good for a consecutive premiership.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
My Dear Sage,

Reading is fundamental

But once more .....

1. I think TSS have more horsepower in their pack than what Nudgee do ( Nongorr/Blyth/Douglas/Lyndon/Vandy Junior + a new body upfront is > than Vella, Nofoagotoa , Thompson and a support cast who will be earnest and do the job ) I think they are better than yours in the forwards and will have their way with possession starting with the set piece

2. I don't reckon any of TSS's U17 Senior's have game winning or game influencing impact with the possible exception of Vandy Jr ( although he has to grow into it ) - and insofar as Nudgee are concerned - I don't see much impact coming through with the possible exception of Lastus ( bench spark ? ) and an earnest type or two like AMac. So what happened last year between these two teams is a bit ho hum.

TSS's 16's coming through in their backline are better than what U17 and U16's you guys have got that will be joining Pasitoa and Banjo - who will easily be the two best players on the field - but is it enough ? I don't reckon.

I think TSS beat you

The End

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Bob Rug

Perhaps you can share where and how IGS will dark horse their way in winning the battle upfront through the Tight 5 ?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think the top 3 will be NC, BBC & TSS .

The order could well come down to game management.

On paper at least , TSS have it over NC in the forwards , BBC have a lot of talent returning and have dominated this age group since U15s.

Biggest question mark over TSS and BBC is who is going to lead them around the park?

NC has Pasitoa at 10 and Vella as returning undefeated captian, both in their third year of First XV and with two premierships already locked away in the trophy cabinet.

Again on paper, NC probably shouldn't have shared the premiership with TSS in 2017 , but they did. They found a way to win games other teams probably would have lost. Last year similar story, everyone had TSS down to win in a canter. There will be no shortage of belief from the Blue and White.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
NC
TSS
Churchie/state high,

BBC and IGS always have a lot of hype and rarely deliver,I think every kid from browns plains to Ipswich is on a scholarship @ IGS,I think that is there problem.

Reactions: vac

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
My Dear Sage,

Reading is fundamental

But once more ...

1. I think TSS have more horsepower in their pack than what Nudgee do ( Nongorr/Blyth/Douglas/Lyndon/Vandy Junior + a new body upfront is > than Vella, Nofoagotoa , Thompson and a support cast who will be earnest and do the job ) I think they are better than yours in the forwards and will have their way with possession starting with the set piece

2. I don't reckon any of TSS's U17 Senior's have game winning or game influencing impact with the possible exception of Vandy Jr ( although he has to grow into it ) - and insofar as Nudgee are concerned - I don't see much impact coming through with the possible exception of Lastus ( bench spark ? ) and an earnest type or two like AMac. So what happened last year between these two teams is a bit ho hum.

TSS's 16's coming through in their backline are better than what U17 and U16's you guys have got that will be joining Pasitoa and Banjo - who will easily be the two best players on the field - but is it enough ? I don't reckon.

I think TSS beat you

The End

That's all fine, I want you to have your opinion, just your first post didn't have a reasonable basis of judgement. Your second post however does (in your opinion) :). And in the reading, I probably didn't have a fine education like yourself GO.

Just on your new post: I think what happened last year is fairly relevant, as you have a couple of Australian Schoolboy players returning who will add to the experience and playing style. Just need a reasonably good 9 for NC and I can see Pasitoa will control things like the little general he is. Additional to this, all the higher grades (1st, 16a's & b's 2018) had reasonably good wins against TSS. So I'm sure both teams will remember, their young there memories are still good!

But every team has their nemesis. For NC (in order) that's Churchie, BSHS/GT. Recently for TSS it seems to be NC and to a lesser degree Ippy/Churchie. This year Churchie does seem to be as good as they were say in 2014-15, so that is good for NC. Seems that when you tend to win against someone, that seems to carry through for a while. I think a big part of what TSS may be lacking, (an impact player if you like) is someone like Reno Gerrard; TSS need someone like him to be the difference in the forwards.
Every year we hear about how big TSS is and how they will "smash" the opposition, how skilled they are etc....been hearing that for years. And YES they are however, they also "fall sleep at the wheel" more often then NC, and like all young men from all teams they seem to get stage fright from time to time; that's the nature of the beast...schoolboy rugby. That's why we are fascinated by it. the drama. the spectacle. etc.
NC playing style is based initially on defence and fairly conservative; can't run too far if your tackled! And whilst having big men is handy, having faster men (to the break-down) is even better at this level. Then after they have tackled you into submission, hopefully without expending too much energy, the game opens up and they attack to the "tired". Or they pressure you into mistakes, by their defence, and score against the run of play. So I agree with The Nomad, it will come down to game management and how each player exploits their individual talent and the courage they show in doing so.​

Rugby to win!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I really enjoyed watching NC's team last year Sage - especially Smith and Flook in the midfield - exactly what you correctly refer to above in the Nudgee way of things

Warrenball

Bob McCowan (2)
Hearing out of GT that Steve Kefu and Mark Chisholm are new 1st xv Coaches, with Tony McGahan new head of sport, must mean he's leaving his Reds Academy role? Big names - Stevie Kefu has done quite a bit of coaching professionally and at souths, Chisholm not so much - being a wallaby will probably appease many of the parents there I would think...interesting times if true.