• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Will Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone got any input on the Under 14's this year and how they are tracking..

Also, I know that Churchie and Nudgee face off this weekend.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Are you basing that on last year teams in the age groups below or has BBC already got their E's out on the training paddock?

BBC certainly fell short of 30 players in the 14's on the weekend with a number of boys playing in both the A and B teams to make up the numbers - injuries which are par for the course at BBC did bite as I understand it - presumably they have more boys not part of the AB programs that will make up numbers in a B probably c team - but no doubt the numbers and standards of BBC 12-14s in considerably down on past years.

A fair deal of concern for Rugby moving forward (including numbers and coaching) with BBC parents I encountered.

Mr B&G
What you are describing is replicated across a number of schools.IGS expect to only have 1 under 16 team.
All schools have record number of soccer players-GT has the most in fact.
I am a TSS supporter and our under 10 to 13 numbers are way down.Do not forget that round 1 last year BBC beat your red/black in every A team from under 13 to 1st xv and 2nds-and if I recall the under 14s ,16s and 2nds were big margins.

johnnymac

Bob McCowan (2)
Try telling that to the 16 BBC boys (4 teams)in under 15 tennis -who could not play in round 2 because GT did not have a single /zip under 15 team.

Huge numbers in GT soccer i see.
Think u will find gt football #'s have dropped considerably since 2018. Program sold out to Brisbane cityfc. Huge # of scholarships and no results. 1 win this season. Just goes to show. You cannot buy a premiership.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Hi Nomad

Are you aware whether the 12 for NC last year has indeed gone to SYD?

If so, that is a bit of a gap they will need to fill (which undoubtedly they will).

Cheers
He played in both trials State high and TSS. So not off to SYDNEY. Nudgee 15a has a few new faces in the back line and new 8 been trialing. A few injuries and unavailability so team changing and position shuffles for a few. Few lads from Bs have come up to As and doing well. Will be very competitive. Excellent defence and more than one option in attack this year.

johnnymac

Bob McCowan (2)
Try telling that to the 16 BBC boys (4 teams)in under 15 tennis -who could not play in round 2 because GT did not have a single /zip under 15 team.

Huge numbers in GT soccer i see.
there is nothing to fear about the big #'s in football. If u have been to a 1st 11 game u will realize zero entertainment and zero supporters. Its a participation sport. And that is where it ends. Rugby is the #1 gps sport. We need to ensure it retains its integrity and status.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
there is nothing to fear about the big #'s in football. If u have been to a 1st 11 game u will realize zero entertainment and zero supporters. Its a participation sport. And that is where it ends. Rugby is the #1 gps sport. We need to ensure it retains its integrity and status.

I could not agree more with your comments johnny mac. Down here in Sydney, when a 1st XI play the sidelines are barren, devoid and empty of supporters. Yet Rugby, pulls the spectators in terms of numbers and creates a real feeling of excitement.

As stated previously this atmosphere will disappear at BBC, with the current intentions to destroy the game. If I was planning to move to Brisbane, I would now take off BBC as a potential school for enrolment of a son.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sad sign of the times.NC have 1 (one)open tennis team of 4 boys.
Frankly -if that is all you can put out -then do not play tennis.
But 6 open football(soccer) teams.No extra grandstands needed for supporters of 1sts football BUT that is big participation numbers.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
The BBC V GT 15A trial on Saturday ended in a 14 all draw. Great display from both teams with the defence from both packs the standout and the cleanout of rucks at times frightening. GT gave away a lot in size but made it up with pure grit. BBC 10 is a class act and their wingers have a fast set of wheels.

Well said. Great match.BBC 10 is one for the future but I was so impressed with GT 6 and 7.
BBC were undefeated as 13As .Lost 1 match last year as 14 As by penalty to BSHS -so GT look right in the mix in that age group.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm sort of surprised that no one is talking about Australia's highest paid 17 year old rugby athlete that has just inked a deal with the Chooks equivalent to the GDP of Tasmania

Right here in our little ol' GPS Competition

Meanwhile , RA has passed the hat around and inked up its "priority" next generation stars with a couple of bob and some Sizzler Salad Bar Vouchers.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm sort of surprised that no one is talking about Australia's highest paid 17 year old rugby athlete that has just inked a deal with the Chooks equivalent to the GDP of Tasmania

Right here in our little ol' GPS Competition

Meanwhile , RA has passed the hat around and inked up its "priority" next generation stars with a couple of bob and some Sizzler Salad Bar Vouchers.

Probably like me -in shock-as we know what it will mean to many talented boys trying to decide on the RL or Rugby pathway.Reds are 3 steps behind and with no $ to compete.

Outsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
It might help if they wanted to actually , y'know , look at Rugby players and do some of their own homework

I think the Rreds have done their homework - plenty of youth (read ex-GPS boys in extended squad unfortunately Aussie 20's duties pulled a few away from Super Rugby.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Great kid. Great player. But way too young to be signing $300k contracts if that’s what it is. Titans paying their half $1m a season and not getting value whilst Latrell at 21 is already distracted. Obscene now what these guys can demand if their agent is cunning enough. As soon as it gets a bit tough, they can pull the pin and go to another club.

I would be thinking very carefully before letting my kid go down to sin city to hang out with the types that play RL.

Was on a plane coming back from Sydney recently with a QLD NRL team and all they did when they got on, was look at short movies on their phones their mates had sent them from the night before. Right in front of other passengers! I was shocked and not...

Maybe it takes their mind off the hiding they received the night before (in the game I mean).

Seriously, without the Telegraph making up daily drama

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
This is sort of a game changer.

Focus now , I would expect , would be to demand affirmation / commitment to Rugby and earlier commits as what you have seen fairly recently with a couple of boys

However , how sincere will it be , when in the competition you may be picking up what League doesn't want anyway ....or at least isn't desperate to have

And then what about that profile of prospect who gets anxious or jilted that they don't have the same type of love - and use Rugby as a Fuck You to League because they are looking at another season of Mal and then probably trying to trudge away in Intrust ?

And League can afford to do it ....and if they go and sign with Rugby with a bird in the air then who cares ? They don't. Got a 1000 more just like ya.

How good is Rugby going to be in calling bullshit in smoking out the insincere commitment that lacks in the right type of engagement that considers Rugby a povo 2nd prize ?

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Great kid. Great player. But way too young to be signing $300k contracts if that’s what it is. Titans paying their half $1m a season and not getting value whilst Latrell at 21 is already distracted. Obscene now what these guys can demand if their agent is cunning enough. As soon as it gets a bit tough, they can pull the pin and go to another club.

I would be thinking very carefully before letting my kid go down to sin city to hang out with the types that play RL.

Was on a plane coming back from Sydney recently with a QLD NRL team and all they did when they got on, was look at short movies on their phones their mates had sent them from the night before. Right in front of other passengers! I was shocked and not.

Maybe it takes their mind off the hiding they received the night before (in the game I mean).

Seriously, without the Telegraph making up daily drama
Family upbringing might mean some will have their feet firmly on the ground and will adjust to the limelight with a level head