• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
Same old -same old-NC & TSS dramatically improve in under 15 when the Amarda arrive.
2017- BBC undefeated-beat BSHS by 1 try
2018 -BSHS undefeated-beat BBC by penalty.
this year in trials BSHS beat BBC and NC pump BSHS.
Didn’t see too many new faces in the Nudgee team during the trials and haven’t seen TSS this year so can’t offer any sort of opinion on them, but they were pretty ordinary last year. BBC’s “Amarda” arrived early on and for mine are the team with the most pressure on them to perform. Looking at the stats you’ve provided perhaps their race is run

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
BBC beat Churchie by two tries and BGS got up over TGS. My predictions for this group

1.BSHS
2. NC
3. BBC
4. GT
5. IGS
6. ACGS
7. BGS
8. TGS
9. TSS

First XV in 2021 is shaping up to be a very close year.

That year , and even next year is going to come down to understanding what / who of the current U16’s who are in Grade 10 ( for 2021 ) and what Grade 11 boys who are playing First XV this year are back next year as 18 year olds

I just don't think you can look at this age group ( or any age group ) in isolation when they get to the end and what they might look like in order without understanding who's back and the undeniable impact they will have on the competition

Much in the way that Vella and Pasitoa as 3rd year veterans for NC ( as 18 year olds ) and Nongorr and Samuela will have for TSS this year , so too , will guys like Jack Howarth, and the Front Row at BBC next year - and then it's kind of downright scary to think what BBC's Taj Annan could do to the competition in 2021

P

Patriot

Some new faces from the Met East team.

These players from the Met East team, no doubt on scholarship.

These GPS schools demand absolute loyalty from their players and students,but don’t show any to the players who have perhaps,been at the school since grade 5, when they replace them with these ‘new faces from the Met East team’

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^^ there are often a few gems hiding away in 2nd XV's that aren't noticed until they are playing First XV as 18 year olds the following year.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)

These GPS schools demand absolute loyalty from their players and students,but don’t show any to the players who have perhaps,been at the school since grade 5, when they replace them with these ‘new faces from the Met East team’

Welcome to my world

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Welcome to my world
Coaches must watch different game and videos come selection day for some positions, favourites and scholarships certainly clouds coaches view? Proud of the boys that just keep trying even though they have no idea what more they can do.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)

Perhaps it’s a timely wake up call before they leave school,falsely put on a pedestal, thinking they are the best when they are not!,(just saying).

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Perhaps it’s a timely wake up call before they leave school,falsely put on a pedestal, thinking they are the best when they are not!,(just saying).

Also you don't win on average 1 premiership every 3 years by running with all the little Jonny's that turn up in grade 5.

I am hearing a couple of schools are asking/planning not to field teams in some of underage A competitions.

In one school's (at least) case I guess it's not as much fun being beaten by 60 as it was beating teams by 60.

People complain that 'Little Jonny' isn't getting a run in the top team and other people complain that Little Jonny is getting beaten up in the top grade.

I'd hate to be a Head of Rugby at a GPS school.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Also you don't win on average 1 premiership every 3 years by running with all the little Jonny's that turn up in grade 5.

I am hearing a couple of schools are asking/planning not to field teams in some of underage A competitions.

In one school's (at least) case I guess it's not as much fun being beaten by 60 as it was beating teams by 60.

People complain that 'Little Jonny' isn't getting a run in the top team and other people complain that Little Jonny is getting beaten up in the top grade.

Tough job and selections are always going to be questionable. So long as all kids get positive feedback on areas of thier game and goals to work on from coaches for improvement and then monitoring that improvement and being considered is all you can ask and is fair.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)

And a lot were probably coached by DAD at club

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)

I’m told that BGS and BBC won’t be fielding 13A teams this year?

If so, that’s a slippery slope......

Reactions: vac
P

Patriot

All comments a fair enough regarding selections. It’s just the demanding absolute loyalty part, if schools aren’t prepared to show it, don’t expect it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Understand BBC have front row issues in U14's. If they don't have props it makes it hard.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
BBC definate no 13A team this year. Was told they dont have the quality to compete. Happy to be corrected but they will field 13B.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Understand BBC have front row issues in U14's. If they don't have props it makes it hard.

\
Incorrect 14 A to D all good.Had a good tough trial against ACGS-who were near top last year.
no 13 A rugby. But 13 A robotics won world title(true story) and new HM from Sydney very chuffed

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I am hearing there are a lot of injuries out at BBC (again).
no Bowyer /no Howath/no RuRu /no Savage/no experienced 10--means no win against ACGS.
Must have been one hell of a camp.

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
\
Incorrect 14 A to D all good.Had a good tough trial against ACGS-who were near top last year.
no 13 A rugby. But 13 A robotics won world title(true story) and new HM from Sydney very chuffed

So does no 13A this year equate to no first XV in 2023? I'm sure Marist Ashgrove would be happy to take their place in the GPS field.

Reactions: vac