• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
Meh

They’ll be done by U15/U16 and be mid table by Opens

Rinse and Repeat

Nothing new to see here . Move along

I'd be interested to read your take on BSHS 15A's. Are they in the rinse and repeat basket as well, or are they genuine contenders against NC and TSS come opens?

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Even more 'impressive' when you consider they don't have a B team at all.

Don't have a B team ? GPS rugby, come back to term 2 where you belong, despite sharing the term with soccer, most AIC ( esp Ash Lauries ) lower teams always looking to play someone else instead of the same team 3 times a year. Rugbys mission should be numbers ( as well as ) quality.

A

Aussie Luke

Nudgee lost a game v TGS on the weekend ie the 14 Bs. A clean sheet otherwise. The 13Es managed to put on 53 points on the BBC Ds. It must be because of all the scholarship students who are 18 that I keep reading rather than the rugby culture..

It’s really disappointing to see that schools such as IGS, State High, Grammar etc place such a low value on rugby by fielding so few teams. Such a regressive situation.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nudgee lost a game v TGS on the weekend ie the 14 Bs. A clean sheet otherwise. The 13Es managed to put on 53 points on the BBC Ds. It must be because of all the scholarship students who are 18 that I keep reading rather than the rugby culture..

It’s really disappointing to see that schools such as IGS, State High, Grammar etc place such a low value on rugby by fielding so few teams. Such a regressive situation.

So terribly sorry for all our shortcomings -we will try and improve and continue to make you look good.
In the interim can you help us:
1) NC has no /nil/zip under 15 tennis teams-every else has 4. Can you assist with culture:?
2) in 2016 Nudgee came stone motherless LAST in swimming-yet this year they won with a record score. That would be the improvement in coaching no doubt-please pass on your expertise.
How do we get on your level and still maintain your fantastic academic results?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Yep plenty would put their hand for some of NC's sporting wins , couldn't see anyone wanting to swap them academic achievements.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I'd be interested to read your take on BSHS 15A's. Are they in the rinse and repeat basket as well, or are they genuine contenders against NC and TSS come opens?
They were good against Nudgee 15a and definitely will continue to develop and threaten, pretty sure not many from BSHS catchment. Depth might be an issue in opens. But good team, quality players well coached I thought.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well KFC its interesting. There are new Sherrifs in town on Merivale St who are great gets for the long term health of the State High program.​
And from what I hear changes are intended. Targets , Style and Structure need to change and if these guys go the distance it probably will. For the better.​
So yeah , over time , it will be interesting to check back on State High in 3 to 4 years​

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
They were good against Nudgee 15a and definitely will continue to develop and threaten, pretty sure not many from BSHS catchment. Depth might be an issue in opens. But good team, quality players well coached I thought.

And a well known Wallaby said to me "the kid playing 12 in BSHS 15 As is something special"

A

Aussie Luke

So terribly sorry for all our shortcomings -we will try and improve and continue to make you look good.
In the interim can you help us:
1) NC has no /nil/zip under 15 tennis teams-every else has 4. Can you assist with culture:?
2) in 2016 Nudgee came stone motherless LAST in swimming-yet this year they won with a record score. That would be the improvement in coaching no doubt-please pass on your expertise.
How do we get on your level and still maintain your fantastic academic results?

Very easy to respond to this:

a) the school is always in the top three or four in tennis for the last 30 years.

B) Nudgee has won 18 Swimming titles since 1992. That’s a strike rate just under 70 percent. From 1992 to 2003 ie 12 years, the winning strike rate was 100 percent they had one bad year and no, they didn’t buy a swimming squad from grade 5 to 12 (with 18 years olds...) to win both of the junior and senior schools titles this year. The rowing has been 80 percent winning title rate for the last decade.

C) the academic results? As an example, two years ago out of 320 Queensland schools Nudgee were ranked 13th highest for OP 1 - 5 for actual students receiving these scores (rather than the algorithm or manufactured percentages that schools concoct for marketing purposes), and top 20 on the list last year for producing actual students who fell into this range again, placing them just above TSS, IGS, TGS. Balance is everything and sport is crucial to this, particularly in sports that build character. So, 13/320...top 0.04 which is superb. When you break down the actual real numbers of students that achieve these results, it’s close to the top of the list. Did you fall ito this range yourself?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Luke old mate I think Nudgee is a great school . I'm envious . I really am. But I'm calling you on the Tennis. 30 years ? Give me a very large break . Anyone that knows ....knows that Nudgee Tennis has been arse ever since BBC current Director of Tennis left Nudgee and came to BBC . Nudgee, I don't believe have sniffed the Top 3 this decade ( maybe an outlier year here or there )

No one will quibble with your consistently impressive Rugby , Rowing and Swimming results however , and yes , there are many things done well

A

Aussie Luke

Luke old mate I think Nudgee is a great school . I'm envious . I really am. But I'm calling you on the Tennis. 30 years ? Give me a very large break . Anyone that knows ..knows that Nudgee Tennis has been arse ever since BBC current Director of Tennis left Nudgee and came to BBC . Nudgee, I don't believe have sniffed the Top 3 this decade ( maybe an outlier year here or there )

No one will quibble with your consistently impressive Rugby , Rowing and Swimming results however , and yes , there are many things done well

There’s no doubt BBC is one of the premier tennis schools, along with Grammar and Churchie, but Nudgee have won the title 8 times during that period and BBC 9 times, 8 times being quite credible (since 88). I understand from mates close to Nudgee that they have been consistently within reach of the top tennis schools such as BBC, Grammar, Terrace and I think IGS one year, and in the top half of the comp most of that period. I can’t back that statement up re top 4 finishes, apart from the actual titles where the info is publically easily available and you might have a point, so I’ll give myself a foot fault and concede the point.

Back to the rugby. I can’t wait for the TSS v BBC matchup this weekend and I’m tipping a boil over, particularly after TSS are coming in off an easy run and BBC back on Miskin after a good hit out with Ippy. BBC for the premiership!

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Back to the rugby. I can’t wait for the TSS v BBC matchup this weekend and I’m tipping a boil over, particularly after TSS are coming in off an easy run and BBC back on Miskin after a good hit out with Ippy. BBC for the premiership![/quote]

All of Nudgee will be cheering for BBC this weekend. Nudgee have a rest then a warm up v BGS and then battle BBC on Ross oval. Could well be a 3 team premiership.

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
There’s no doubt BBC is one of the premier tennis schools, along with Grammar and Churchie, but Nudgee have won the title 8 times during that period and BBC 9 times, 8 times being quite credible (since 88). I understand from mates close to Nudgee that they have been consistently within reach of the top tennis schools such as BBC, Grammar, Terrace and I think IGS one year, and in the top half of the comp most of that period. I can’t back that statement up re top 4 finishes, apart from the actual titles where the info is publically easily available and you might have a point, so I’ll give myself a foot fault and concede the point.

Back to the rugby. I can’t wait for the TSS v BBC matchup this weekend and I’m tipping a boil over, particularly after TSS are coming in off an easy run and BBC back on Miskin after a good hit out with Ippy. BBC for the premiership!

NC have won the tennis 1st IV 7 times - 5 between 1988 - 1994 and 2 in the 1930's.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who cares about the tennis - It’s a one way street. Pretty boring. On the opposite end of the spectrum, what a race to the finish line the 2019 Rugby season has set up to be.

The battle for the wooden spoon is intensifying, I’m tipping Terrace to claim honours. TSS and Ippy await them - yikes!
And yes, what a spectacle this weekend will be at Miskin Street. IS THIS THE YEAR?!

Old Boys’ Day and the word is spreading that a win this weekend will put one hand on the trophy. Numbers will be large, good luck finding a park.

Final team listings will be interesting with some great match-ups potentially.

It would be amazing if it is, none least because I believe their Firsts are the focus of Onion TV's "The Season" at the moment.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Who cares about the tennis - It’s a one way street. Pretty boring. On the opposite end of the spectrum, what a race to the finish line the 2019 Rugby season has set up to be.

The battle for the wooden spoon is intensifying, I’m tipping Terrace to claim honours. TSS and Ippy await them - yikes!
And yes, what a spectacle this weekend will be at Miskin Street. IS THIS THE YEAR?!

Old Boys’ Day and the word is spreading that a win this weekend will put one hand on the trophy. Numbers will be large, good luck finding a park.

Final team listings will be interesting with some great match-ups potentially.
Just watched the BBC and IGS game replay. Seriously there were plenty of BBC mistakes that Nudgee and TSS will capitalise on before your players will know what hit them. In true BBC coaching style, player positions were not at strength IMO.Remember your coach was previously at Nudgee. We know how it works. Any reason why Jack Kelly and Mason Gordon didn’t start? Is Bowyer still injured? Was very quiet in the game. George Gibson is a machine, but him alone will not break TSS this weekend. Good luck this weekend.