• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
And on game, as someone who just goes and watches games without being and avid supporter of any team, my take was BBC were very good in 1st 40, by geez their midfield were terrific, as were forwards. @nd 40 TSS forwards got on top and more importantly they held the ball and so got the win.
It was a great game, I loved it. Didn't really think I saw any player that didn't deserve to be on field, and hope noone tries to blame BBC kickers for loss! My perhaps only moan was BBC taking so long to take to field, if kickoff is at 3.15pm the team should not be getting cheered on at 3.19. I know it only a small thing , it irritated me whenever I at club rugby or wherever when a team can't be ready for kick off at correct time . I just think it show perhaps a team that is not organised, although some stupidly do it to piss other team off, I just think you get ref offside myself!

Well said on all fronts - certainly not the kickers fault, coach was 100% aware of what he was doing and for the second time in 2 years not having a kicker in the side in a crucial game has cost them dearly. Both sides had a decent injury toll on the day I hope al players recoup well - BBC will struggle to recover from that to win next week, all that said well done to BBC players and a huge congratulations to TSS - deserved champions and well coached!!!!

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
From my imperfect memory, 2 years ago when BBC received a penalty at the end of the game against Nudgee on Ross. It was a sitter. I remember the fly half waiting for instructions from the side line, and he kicked into touch instead of taking the kick. I couldn’t believe our luck at the time! They would have won. Correct me anyone if my recollection is wrong here.
I can’t understand how two years later, the coaches still haven’t worked out how important place kicking is.
I feel very sorry for all the BBC team, students and their supporters for losing this game yesterday, but I think they could still beat my old school next week on Ross and possibly TSS drop a game if they don’t perform v Terrace or Ippy. They will not win however without a place kicker. That’s a given.

My recollection was that Gordon who was playing flyhalf refused to take the kick for goal. The halfback almost knocked over referee to try and stop Gordon knowing that the kick for goal should be taken and pointing to the coaching staff who were pointing at the goalposts. But Gordon just refused. He kicked for the corner but team was so rattled by Gordon ignoring the coaches the line out was a cluster and Nudgee regained possession and held on for 30 secs to win the match.

To be as fair as I can, the kick was not quite a gimme as there strong winds that the penalty would have been kicked in to.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
My recollection was that Gordon who was playing flyhalf refused to take the kick for goal. The halfback almost knocked over referee to try and stop Gordon knowing that the kick for goal should be taken and pointing to the coaching staff who were pointing at the goalposts. But Gordon just refused. He kicked for the corner but team was so rattled by Gordon ignoring the coaches the line out was a cluster and Nudgee regained possession and held on for 30 secs to win the match.

To be as fair as I can, the kick was not quite a gimme as there strong winds that the penalty would have been kicked in to.

100% accurate from my view from the sideline

Ronald Reagan

Stan Wickham (3)
Personally, I'd blame the BBC coach for the loss yesterday. I would have gone

10. Claridge
11. Mason Gordon
12. Ripley
13. Howarth

and dropped Annan

Always hear everyone banging on about BBC’s depth but only would’ve been one sub come on (Ruru) until he was injured and came off. BBC’s Forward pack was tiring and no one was put on? Kelly? Hayes? Altman should’ve been put onto the field aswell in the late stages of the game.

Ronald Reagan

Stan Wickham (3)
No one to blame.
TSS were better on the day and took their chances.
Well done Southport, one hand on the cup.

Don’t know what game you were watching if you think TSS were the better team. BBC dominated for the first 50mins, 10,12,13 were unreal, and BBC forwards surprisingly held their own against the TSS pack.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Don’t know what game you were watching if you think TSS were the better team. BBC dominated for the first 50mins, 10,12,13 were unreal, and BBC forwards surprisingly held their own against the TSS pack.
Rugby is not a 50 minute game. Depth and endurance are key. A team that is mentally focused for the full 80 minutes will come away with the chocolates. A coach that puts a team on the field to attack the try line to convert and knows when to use its depth with subs will prevail. TSS come away with the chocolates because of coaching. This is where Nudgee will get up next week too.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
The back 3 were tiring and showing signs of cramping as well. No substitutes made only for Ruru and at the expense of Tierney (dumb). Lineout was a BIG issue. Tierney, THE QLD 18’s HOOKER you’d think would’ve moved to 2. Gordon and Kelly both injured - fair enough. (Gordon injured in 16A’s.

I don’t care where you play Gordon but it’s not hard to come to the conclusion you are playing in the most important game of the season, therefore, you’re best kicker should be on the field.

The lack of impact subs which they have used in years past just stumps me.

BBC coach what are you doing?!
Hmmm, Tierney was hooked for a reason, moving him to 2 wouldn’t have changed anything, Bryon and Lucas can kick also, u would have thought there would have been a kick off done at last training along with Claridge also?

A

Aussie Luke

I wouldn’t be giving up all hope at BBC. In two weeks time if BBC beats Nudgee (possible only with a kicker) and Ipswich beat TSS after their bye then it’s still possible for a tied premiership. Ipswich have been a bit off the last couple of games but I think they have one big game in them. Stranger things have happened but what was clear to me on Saturday was that BBC’s backs dominated TSS’s backs, as did their forwards (but not in the set piece). TSS have been very lucky with the refs calls in these tight matches and their backs have not looked good at all v the big sides.

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
After re-watching the game it was great to see Xavier Savage in the left end corner of the school end celebrating BBC’s first two tries. The chat of Gordon and Claridge and the BBC 10 debate with kicking responsibilities would have been interesting if Oryaan Kalolo remained at the school.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
After re-watching the game it was great to see Xavier Savage in the left end corner of the school end celebrating BBC’s first two tries. The chat of Gordon and Claridge and the BBC 10 debate with kicking responsibilities would have been interesting if Oryaan Kalolo remained at the school.

I would love to see Savage back in that BBC backline.

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)

Kalolo and Savage may have been the missing pieces for BBC this year!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
No tears for me this week as GT sorted themselves out at Northgate.

Also the best of the round was 3/4 as only 2 bold punters managed to back ACGS over IGS.

All Over It has a 2 point lead over a group of chasers, can they hold on over the final 3 weeks?

All Over It 20
BAG 18
Lammy 18
Nomad 18
Petep 18
Rugby Follower 18
rugrat 18
An_Observer 17
Jets 17
KFC 17
Seagull 17
BBCfanatic 16
HJ Nelson 16
MW 16
Patriot 16
fairplay 15
Outsider 15
Reg 15
Roberts Rugby 15
Sage Too 15
Cookie 14
Dean Moriarty 14
EGROEG 13
Hound 13
Melomvp 13
AGJ 12
Skyfall 12
Tom Griffin 11
Dark Shark 10
The Ear 9
Cruiser 8
David Y 7
Jonte Roberts 7
Marcosity 7
Cagey Ref 6
Charlie 6
Chubs 6
Spikhaza 6
Fraser 5
Westies94 5
CSM 4
Dequavis B 4
EatDeez1s 4
harry vela's left foot 4
Mr Rugby 4
PAPA 4
Pear boy 4
Tom 4
Will Jackson 4
will oh 4
Dan 3
Frae 3
hugo emery 3
John Munro 3
Oi nah 3
Shirley Streszlejki 3
Tony G 3
Big boppa brucey boy 2
blanco 2
DAVE 2
JJ 2
KING JAMES 2
Rugbyfan 2
Sgt Slaighter 2
zac 2
BBC 14A's awesome scrums 1
BBC supporter 123 1
jt 1
Nudgee 1
runningrugby1 1
Zane Nonggorr fan 1
JOC (James O'Connor) 0
Steve Lezinski 0

BASSO

Bob McCowan (2)
Some observations from the BBC loss,
Rugby is a team game and generally takes a good 23 players to win a game of such high intensity, you can not win Rugby Premierships based around half a dozen INDIVIDUALS, you must show faith in your entire squad (and or at least know all their names)and make the changes when required, no matter how tough the decision is, that is what makes good coaches in to great coaches, clearly on the weekend several changes had to be made and weren't, all as a result of a stubborn approach and inflexibility based around the 6 or 7 INDIVIDUALS. You treat your best players exactly the same as the the 23rd player in your squad.

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some observations from the BBC loss,
Rugby is a team game and generally takes a good 23 players to win a game of such high intensity, you can not win Rugby Premierships based around half a dozen INDIVIDUALS, you must show faith in your entire squad (and or at least know all their names)and make the changes when required, no matter how tough the decision is, that is what makes good coaches in to great coaches, clearly on the weekend several changes had to be made and weren't, all as a result of a stubborn approach and inflexibility based around the 6 or 7 INDIVIDUALS. You treat your best players exactly the same as the the 23rd player in your squad.

:eek:

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Interesting weekend. I don't know why I bother trying to tip any games.
BBC Vs TSS game was much closer than I thought. TSS obviously came back in the 2nd half to snatch the win. I do feel for BBC but TSS have a knack of wining the tight ones.

What can I say Churchie defeated IGS. Churchie Forwards were very good and took the game away from IGS. IGS lost one of their props after 5 mins and then lost their other prop and starting 2 by half time. Churchie kept it tight and their defence in the forwards was relentless. Churchie 8 had the best game I have seem him play so far. The IGS 10, Walker is a great runner of the ball. Very balanced and can beat a man in a heartbeat. The IGS 9 - best I have seen this year so far. IGS will finish the year well provided they get their big forwards back. The lack of depth will be their problem.

GT Def BGS - Goes to show how hard this comp is. GT get beaten by Churchie and then thump BGS where Churchie could only draw.

TGS Def BSHS - the trip up the hill is a tough one I am hoping BSHS don’t regroup for the Churchie match next week.

Ohh The Churchie 2nds still undefeated along with NC. TGS only one loss. Could set up for a cracker of a match at Ross in round 9 if ACGS can defeat TGS in the penultimate round of GPS.