• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

A

Aussie Luke

The above is correct and now locked in.
Round 1 is played on Saturday after end of term.
Round 2 is played as a trial (NC v TSS) in quarters and multiple replacements 1sts/2nds squads.
Round 3 is a trial but played as normal rules.
There WILL be a premiership with 6 matches counting.

Yo gotta feel sorry for BBC. I have said since day 1 they are the team to beat this year -but they play both NC and TSS (who only play each other as a trial)

So does Nudgee play TSS in an official GPS match?

Round 1 on Saturday "after end of term"? When would this be? Apologies, but I am still a little confused.

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
So if understand correctly, they will play rounds 4-9 as normal, then round one is played on the Saturday of the first day of school holidays at the end of term 3.

Won’t this mean some teams will play 6 rounds and a bye, but some teams will play 7 competition rounds. Very uneven competition by the sounds of things.

Surely they could have played a couple of extra rounds in term 4, or at least just the 1st XV games.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If TSS and NC are going to play in Round 3 what is the point in it being a trial round? Just add it into the competiton - All teams are in the same boat, just get the kids out there a playing rugby. Missing a few borders? Whilst I feel for the kids who might miss out, it isn't the RWC, lets get out there and playing asap once restrictions have been eased.

I'd hate for the season to be ruined/shortned due to politics between headmasters/sport directors becasue a school/s don't want to play without a star player.

I’m struggling to find the logic behind it. Bizarre

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
6 rounds of competition essentially commencing week 4.

Week 4 , 5 , 6, 7 , 8, 9

A couple of schools have claimed they won’t be “contact ready” in the first two weeks of the term. This surrounds concerns around front row passports and safe , graduated , contact generally.

I suppose those schools that do think they will be ready might get an extra trial in Week 2 but it seems as though everyone will run at least one trial in Week 3. But the competition proper in Week 4 over 6 weeks which will coincide with the last Saturday before end of term. No carry over into holidays or Term 4.

It suggests every school with miss 2 other schools in the rounds this year most likely in the order that they would have played in the early rounds but with adjustments for bye rounds in some way noting that TSS , BGS and TGS had byes that would have accrued in the 1st 3 rounds this year.

If this is how it rolls there are significant match ups that will be missed including TSS v Nudgee and ACGS v Nudgee and BBC

ACGS should be at least be a shared premier with one of TSS , Nudgee and BBC this year.

TSS figure to avert Nudgee and ?

Nudgee figure to avert ACGS and TSS and would play BBC at BBC in the last round.

The End

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
You are correct
6 rounds of competition essentially commencing week 4.

Week 4 , 5 , 6, 7 , 8, 9

A couple of schools have claimed they won’t be “contact ready” in the first two weeks of the term. This surrounds concerns around front row passports and safe , graduated , contact generally.

I suppose those schools that do think they will be ready might get an extra trial in Week 2 but it seems as though everyone will run at least one trial in Week 3. But the competition proper in Week 4 over 6 weeks which will coincide with the last Saturday before end of term. No carry over into holidays or Term 4.

It suggests every school with miss 2 other schools in the rounds this year most likely in the order that they would have played in the early rounds but with adjustments for bye rounds in some way noting that TSS , BGS and TGS had byes that would have accrued in the 1st 3 rounds this year.

If this is how it rolls there are significant match ups that will be missed including TSS v Nudgee and ACGS v Nudgee and BBC

ACGS should be at least be a shared premier with one of TSS , Nudgee and BBC this year.

TSS figure to avert Nudgee and ?

Nudgee figure to avert ACGS and TSS and would play BBC at BBC in the last round.

The End

Correct

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I can’t seriously believe that 1st XV squads are having trouble getting their scrum passports and won’t be contact ready. It’s a questionable decision. It will be a shame if the XV winners will have to have an * next to their title.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
With bye rounds ditched it likely just picks up as follows

TSS would have had their bye in Round 1 and their first game would have been Nudgee Round 2 and ACGS in Round 3 so maybe TSS misses these 2

Nudgee would have had ACGS in Round 1 and TSS in Round 2 so Nudgee misses these 2 and then pencil in their bye in what would have been Round 3 and then I think their 1st round in Round 4 would be BSHS

BBC would have had BSHS in Round 1 and ACGS in Round 2 and maybe misses these 2 and pencil in their bye in Round 3 and they then pick up GT in their 1st round in Round 4

ACGS would have have had Nudgee in Round 1 and BBC in Round 2. Pencil in their bye in what would have been Round 3 and they then pick up TSS in the first round of Round 4

Plug and play if you like for the rest in looking at the order of last year’s rounds

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
I can’t seriously believe that 1st XV squads are having trouble getting their scrum passports and won’t be contact ready. It’s a questionable decision. It will be a shame if the XV winners will have to have an * next to their title.

It is my understanding that Front Row Passports would carry over from last year anyway. I'd imagine that nearly all front rowers in 1st XV contention (last years 15A/A's, 16A/B's and 2nds) would have done it last year. That's if they played contested scrums which unfortunately was not always that case.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m not totally sure about this , but I think part of the reason for the delayed start is the need for 4 weeks of “contact” training before playing competition matches.

Full contact training initially was not meant to start until the 1st of July, making August 1st the earliest for games to start .

QPR effectively have the same issue . It starts on Sat 01/08 and are playing the first two rounds under competition rules but not for points , so effectively trials. The comp for them really kicks off in round 3 . They do manage to play everyone once before finals.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

It's a whole school sport, not just about 1st XV.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)

If that's the case then I'd argue 1-2 weeks should be sufficent preparation time. Would hate to see the C-F teams miss out on games just because the 1st XV needs 4 weeks to get ready. Usually the C- F's teams would at most do 1 holiday session and maybe 2 training sessions in week 1 prior to their first game.

I also struggle to believe that the teams aren't doing some form of contact work behind the scenes to get the jump on the rest of the pack.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)

The Blue Ribbon event is the 1st XV.

If the lower age groups want to mess around with their schedules, no worries.

They will get a chance to play again next year.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
If that's the case then I'd argue 1-2 weeks should be sufficent preparation time. Would hate to see the C-F teams miss out on games just because the 1st XV needs 4 weeks to get ready. Usually the C- F's teams would at most do 1 holiday session and maybe 2 training sessions in week 1 prior to their first game.

I also struggle to believe that the teams aren't doing some form of contact work behind the scenes to get the jump on the rest of the pack.

I agree with you: but with tennis,B/ball & soccer all being played at the same time there will be very few d to f matches.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The other thing that is relevant in this discussion as The Nomad referred to is State Government restrictions. And then on top of that, especially for Schools, is, understandably, a more well elevated sense of safety,responsibility,duty of care and so on.

A

Aussie Luke

So, if I am correct, TSS and Nudgee will not play each other in the GPS competition but BBC have to play both Nudgee and TSS. This makes it difficult for BBC. Looks like it might be another Nudgee or/and TSS premiership again.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
With bye rounds ditched it likely just picks up as follows

TSS would have had their bye in Round 1 and their first game would have been Nudgee Round 2 and ACGS in Round 3 so maybe TSS misses these 2

Nudgee would have had ACGS in Round 1 and TSS in Round 2 so Nudgee misses these 2 and then pencil in their bye in what would have been Round 3 and then I think their 1st round in Round 4 would be BSHS

BBC would have had BSHS in Round 1 and ACGS in Round 2 and maybe misses these 2 and pencil in their bye in Round 3 and they then pick up GT in their 1st round in Round 4

ACGS would have have had Nudgee in Round 1 and BBC in Round 2. Pencil in their bye in what would have been Round 3 and they then pick up TSS in the first round of Round 4

Plug and play if you like for the rest in looking at the order of last year’s rounds

How can the bye rounds be ditched? Given there are 9 schools in the GPS (unless BGS or someone else has indicated they will not participate? In that case ignore the rest of this post.) Math would say that in any given weekend one team would have to sit out.

With playing fields also needing to be shared with the football teams, I highly doubt the draw would be modified and rugby's draw will be the same as the other GPS sports. Be a case of luck of which teams you play. Teams who have to have a bye would simply get 4 points for the bye to mitgate against playing 1 less game.

So if the season pans out with Rounds 1-3 not counting and points being awarded for Rds 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 only, ACGS are surely at short odds to at least share the title. They skip playing any of the powerhouse 3 of TSS, NC or BBC! (scheduled to play them rounds 1-3). A Rd 4 bye gives them a crucial extra trial game (vs Downlands one would imagine) to get combinations right before taking on BGS in round 5 which gives them a nice easy game first up. Only tripping point would be the Round 9 clash up the range. But geez, talk about a dream draw.

A

Aussie Luke

How can the bye rounds be ditched? Given there are 9 schools in the GPS (unless BGS or someone else has indicated they will not participate? In that case ignore the rest of this post.) Math would say that in any given weekend one team would have to sit out.

With playing fields also needing to be shared with the football teams, I highly doubt the draw would be modified and rugby's draw will be the same as the other GPS sports. Be a case of luck of which teams you play. Teams who have to have a bye would simply get 4 points for the bye to mitgate against playing 1 less game.

So if the season pans out with Rounds 1-3 not counting and points being awarded for Rds 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 only, ACGS are surely at short odds to at least share the title. They skip playing any of the powerhouse 3 of TSS, NC or BBC! (scheduled to play them rounds 1-3). A Rd 4 bye gives them a crucial extra trial game (vs Downlands one would imagine) to get combinations right before taking on BGS in round 5 which gives them a nice easy game first up. Only tripping point would be the Round 9 clash up the range. But geez, talk about a dream draw.

To add another spanner in the works, Nudgee are currently redeveloping "the Flats" into a rugby and cricket village with hedges/trees etc dividing each field, facilities, fences, seating, walkways etc and so all of those fields will be out of action this season until the project is completed next year, and so most of the home games will have to be played somewhere else as they will only have 3 rugby ovals available i.e. Ross, Hendry and Wilkes. I haven't heard where they will play the lower grades and so would be interested to hear what their plan is if anyone knows.

Re the Churchie draw, good point, it could end in a 4 way Premiership!

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think both Churchie and Nudgee have D teams in most age groups. Can't imagine BGS or BSHS having much beyond A or B... And BBC have had finishing numbers in the younger years even prior to this year. Those lower teams just could be Terrace ACGS and NC playing each other every week