• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
So, if I am correct, TSS and Nudgee will not play each other in the GPS competition but BBC have to play both Nudgee and TSS. This makes it difficult for BBC. Looks like it might be another Nudgee or/and TSS premiership again.

dear Sir

you are correct

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any updates on "crowd controls"? We are still hearing whispers of the 1 parent / spectator per player at this stage. There will also be controls on entry and exit to school grounds. Streaming seems to be the alternative viewing option where permitted.

Any truth to the rumour that TSS were busted (and fined) training before Level 2 restrictions?

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any updates on "crowd controls"? We are still hearing whispers of the 1 parent / spectator per player at this stage. There will also be controls on entry and exit to school grounds. Streaming seems to be the alternative viewing option where permitted.

Any truth to the rumour that TSS were busted (and fined) training before Level 2 restrictions?

From what Scott Morrison said a week ago, the advice for stage 3 is that the limitation is a 1 person per 4 square meters rule instead of the 100 person cap. If that is implemented in QLD then you would imagine crowd controls wouldn't be neccessary with all the sporting fields of GPS schools providing ample space. I do wonder if Terrace's Tennyson Grandstand qualifies for the 25% capacity rules set to put in place for stadiums.

I can't see games other than the 1stXV being livestreamed consistently. The two headmasters of each school would have to agree and getting agreement on the 1st XV alone has taken a number of years and up to know BGS have consistently said no.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Does that count as a season forfeit for them? Asking for a friend ;)

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Current directions are that there will be no parents/spectators. There will be gaps between games to allow for drop off and pick up. With advice and regulations evolving this may yet change but the directive given was no spectators at all

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Current directions are that there will be no parents/spectators. There will be gaps between games to allow for drop off and pick up. With advice and regulations evolving this may yet change but the directive given was no spectators at all

I believe that was the initial thinking but for reasons of "duty of care" and some parental protests etc, a parent/guardian will be permitted to attend in case of injury etc etc. As you suggested, there will be some gap between fixtures to allow of the in/out of players, coaches/ parent etc.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
I believe that was the initial thinking but for reasons of "duty of care" and some parental protests etc, a parent/guardian will be permitted to attend in case of injury etc etc. As you suggested, there will be some gap between fixtures to allow of the in/out of players, coaches/ parent etc.

Yes -one parent or gaurdian per player-no more than 100 people at a time. Very firm play & leave policy.
That NC v TSS match at Ross in round 2 will be one hell of a trial . Do you play your superstars or not ?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
This is sort of like a return to Gen X Sports

Dad : "Ok son what time are you done ?"

Son : " I dunno . Probably around 5"

Dad :" Alright then. You got enough money for the bus ?"

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
How can the bye rounds be ditched? Given there are 9 schools in the GPS (unless BGS or someone else has indicated they will not participate? In that case ignore the rest of this post.) Math would say that in any given weekend one team would have to sit out.

Hmmmm. Yes, Logic and Maths would suggest.

But Logic and Math would also suggest that all 9 Schools can't have their bye in 6 weeks of competition.

But you are correct . Churchie are going to get the dandy run and are odds on to be a Co-Premier with one of TSS or Nudgee or maybe even outright as I first pointed out 1 or 2 pages ago

I could see Churchie beating TSS and then they don't have to play Nudgee or BBC.

Nudgee have to play BBC at home in the last round and whilst I think Nudgee can definitely win that game there is no denying it will be tough.

Same deal with BBC going down to try and win at Southport where their record has blown donkey balls at Southport for decades.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hmmmm. Yes, Logic and Maths would suggest.

But Logic and Math would also suggest that all 9 Schools can't have their bye in 6 weeks of competition.

Easyish fix to that given that there are no bonus points in the competition. The teams which have a bye simply pick up an automatic 4 points in that week. Thus each team either:

Plays 5 games + a Bye = 24 points max
Plays 6 games = 24 points max

Totally fair untill you consider the teams each school has to play. Churchie's title to lose!

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
Seriously why would they not just play the extra rounds for 1st XV only at beginning of Term 4. Or start the season on time with uncontested scrums for the first couple of rounds. Bloody ridiculous!

A

Aussie Luke

All of these dynamics might make for an interesting season. Nudgee won't have the full grandstand to rely on as the 16th man, Churchie will avoid some titans and BBC have to beat both Nudgee and TSS to win. There could be a wildcard in there also such as Ippy or Terrace. It might build for a very passionate final round this season with a few hands possibly on the Premiership cup.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Seriously why would they not just play the extra rounds for 1st XV only at beginning of Term 4. Or start the season on time with uncontested scrums for the first couple of rounds. Bloody ridiculous!

Schools will say that with Year 12 ATAR exams happneing pretty early on in Term 4, that should be the focus of all students which is fair enough. Considering AIC is only doing a 4 week season, prehaps we should be happy that we are getting 6 + a full trial game. Saying that though, the AIC format is much more equitable plus it has a GF to finish the season off with.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes it will be a pretty interesting dynamic this season but I think BSHS is the wildcard although Terrace could win as many games, or equal in this shortened season, to what they managed to string together for their 2018 and 2019 seasons combined.

I would not be writing TGS off either. If teams come up against them on a rainy day where it’s tighter style of game and you can’t rely on your outside backs then look out. Their 1 through to 12 will mix it up with anyone and everyone.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Terrace to win the Burger Premiership again though.

BGS to win the Canteen Condiments Award ,and also, the Iron Curtain Award for its contribution to Film and Product Distribution.

Do you think they will even have food for sale? Honest question.