• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry (not sorry) I cannot believe there has been any comments querying this ridiculous statement. Exactly what is your beef with State High "Aussie" Luke? This is a school that has produced the 4th most Aus Schoolboys reps (62) as well as 31 internationals, is always competitive in all age groups and has won the GPS comp 16 times, behind only Nudgee and Churchie, and as recently as 2016. Sure, depth isn't great, but that is also is the case at IGS and BGS. IGS won the u14s last year and did not even have a B team.

Tennis (dear God) aside, they are also up there in all other sports - Track and Field, Swimming, Cricket, soccer, basketball - any problems there? Check how many Olympic and Australian reps the school has produced, it's pretty lengthy. They even compete, although admittedly not that successfully, in rowing, but what can you expect with their limited funding. But that is more than TGS and IGS.

So, because of some bad behaviour by some supporters last year you are calling for them to be replaced? I have been to many GPS rugby games and seen appalling behaviour by a number of schools supporters. Grammar dads abusing a player because of the colour of his hair. Ippy coaches invading a pitch and man handling opposition players when a brawl broke out. Terrace parents heckling a goal kicker as he lines up the match winning kick (Pasitoa, and his reaction is priceless when he nails it - it's on youtube if you want to watch it). I could name plenty more if you like. In fact, on the whole, BSHS supporters tend to be the best behaved of the lot in my experience.

Or is it because there is a public school playing in the GPS comp that offends your private school-centric sensibilities? An avenue for kids whose parents cannot afford exorbitant school fees to compete in the best competiitions available is about Australian as you can get.

I always though "Aussie" meant a fair go for all. An egalitarian concept. Maybe time time to change your profile Luke. Maybe "Pommy" Luke? Unless you can elaborate.

TBone well said. Can I add when my boy was playying in the GPS comp. His comment was when you play BSHS they would smash you but then help you get up. Other schools would smash you and then kick you when you you on the ground. BSHS add to the GPS comp in their unpredictabilty and defference to school rules. Long live BSHS.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
TGS will have a very good tight 5 this year with QLD Representation across the board with Front Rowers Charlie Wigan and Tane Pardoe and lock Hamish Mueller.

Add in a red headed mongrel dog in at flank in George Wunsch , a halfback in Wilson Cochrane sniping at their heels and with possibly the best pass off the ground going around and their backs will have enough ball to give them a chance in most games

Gee TGS must have been young last year- or improved a lot. TSS/NC/BBC all put over 50 on them ?

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Is anyone using Tapatalk on GreenandGold forum.
I need help logging into Tapatalk.
It won't let me login or Register with my existing account.
Message me.
Thanks

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
TSS FirstXV 2020

1. C. Patu
2. H. Vousty
3. M. De Lutis
4. M. Van der Schyff (Capt)
5. I. Tolotu
6. N. Hilton
7. J. Burnett
8. J. Pere
9. C. Jenkins
10. S. Schmidt
11. J. Denson
12. K. Ngamanu (Vice capt)
13. J.J Fifita
14. R. Rabura
15. J. Gray

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tough round this week if anyone is game enough to have a stab in the dark predictions wise.

NC vs TSS - Flip a coin, I'll take NC in nailbiter at home
IGS vs BSHS - Another flip a coin type game but at the other end of the spectrum - I'll take IGS.
BBC vs ACGS - BBC to prove too strong on Miskin - though would expect a reasonably close game given the wet conditions predicted
GT vs TGS - Interesting game this, TGS isn't an easy place to win at. But I'll back the boys in Red and Black to get a victory up the range.

A

Aussie Luke

Sorry (not sorry) I cannot believe there has been any comments querying this ridiculous statement. Exactly what is your beef with State High "Aussie" Luke? This is a school that has produced the 4th most Aus Schoolboys reps (62) as well as 31 internationals, is always competitive in all age groups and has won the GPS comp 16 times, behind only Nudgee and Churchie, and as recently as 2016. Sure, depth isn't great, but that is also is the case at IGS and BGS. IGS won the u14s last year and did not even have a B team.

Tennis (dear God) aside, they are also up there in all other sports - Track and Field, Swimming, Cricket, soccer, basketball - any problems there? Check how many Olympic and Australian reps the school has produced, it's pretty lengthy. They even compete, although admittedly not that successfully, in rowing, but what can you expect with their limited funding. But that is more than TGS and IGS.

So, because of some bad behaviour by some supporters last year you are calling for them to be replaced? I have been to many GPS rugby games and seen appalling behaviour by a number of schools supporters. Grammar dads abusing a player because of the colour of his hair. Ippy coaches invading a pitch and man handling opposition players when a brawl broke out. Terrace parents heckling a goal kicker as he lines up the match winning kick (Pasitoa, and his reaction is priceless when he nails it - it's on youtube if you want to watch it). I could name plenty more if you like. In fact, on the whole, BSHS supporters tend to be the best behaved of the lot in my experience.

Or is it because there is a public school playing in the GPS comp that offends your private school-centric sensibilities? An avenue for kids whose parents cannot afford exorbitant school fees to compete in the best competiitions available is about Australian as you can get.

I always though "Aussie" meant a fair go for all. An egalitarian concept. Maybe time time to change your profile Luke. Maybe "Pommy" Luke? Unless you can elaborate.

You're absolutely right, and fair comments. I think because they do have such a great sporting history I am disappointed that they seem to have lost their focus recently on sport and particularly on rugby. I would just like to see them get back to their competitiveness and also to see more support from the parents and students so overall the GPS competition is stronger.

A

Aussie Luke

Nudgee will beat TSS tomorrow. They won't have the crowd there this time to provide all the atmosphere but it will be an important match in terms of recent history and bragging rights. I think no team will get close to Nudgee this season, apart from BBC potentially. There is too much firepower across all areas, including the coaching, and TSS wont have anything like what they had in the forward pack in the last few seasons, and this is what kept them in the games v Nudgee. Nudgee will do TSS in the forwards and the backline is outstanding, even without Trezman.

Churchie and BBC will be an interesting match up to see how good BBC actually is. BBC needs to send a credible message to the rest of the teams.

After deciding that BSHS is actually a very important school in the GPS (after being schooled by T-Bone above) I'll fall on my sword and give State High the nod over Ippy.

Very interesting re TGS v Terrace. Given what I read in this thread about TGS's forward pack, I'd have to go with Toowoomba.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Got to remember the role of principal and those above in terms of a state school.

The requirements for entry to the school have changed significantly over the years , sometimes towards academics, sometimes towards inclusiveness, sometimes towards whatever the fuck is the flavour of the month .....

No need to hang the rugby program out to dry ......

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Nudgee FirstXV 2020

W. Jones
O. Davey-Philips
H. Swane
O. Harvey
B. Porter
L. Le Blanc
M. Jones
T. Mapa
O. Varricchio
B. Dalle Cort
S. Tapuosi
L. Auakai
R. Toia
H. O'Sullivan
B. Smith

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Tipping Comp here if anyone is interested. I don't mind keeping track if Jets doesn't mind.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSei3YAqaAX_R2NTYuTabLMQ12jafijshkDkP4CUt8XocHtAEQ/viewform

First round is always the hardest to pick, especially this year with limited trials. So I am sticking with home-ground advantage for now.

NC
BBC
IGS
TGS

I'm a little late with putting this up but I will keep it open until noon on Saturday and have a new one ready each Monday.

Edit: We may not get any scores out of these games due to the trial nature.