• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
Churchie scrum is terrible. Lineout with rolling mall looking bloody good. Only a trial but I expected a bit more from Churchie with so many returning boys. The 11, 1 and 15 dont seem to have improved as I would have expected. I dont think the changes in 9 and 7 have worked. Churchie tight 5 really need to do some scrum work. They are lucky you can only push 1.5m. Stoddard at 8 is workable but he would be a better 7.
TSS have a big forward pack. The number 8 who came off with a knee injury looks the goods along with the 10 and 15. When TSS stepped up a gear Churchie could not compete but to their credit they stuck to their game plan, Pick and drive and kick for field position, and came within a conversion of a draw.

How good was the little TSS Fullback #15 as a runner of the ball and the solo try from a grubber and regather. People will say he's too small for Senior football but then again they said the same thing about Thurston.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting day at Miskin on the Saturday BBC only managed 3 wins and draw, but two of those Wins were the 1sts, 15A’s and the draw in the 16A’s so the top end is still strong at Toowong but that vaunted depth of the past couple of years is all but gone.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting day at Miskin on the Saturday BBC only managed 3 wins and draw, but two of those Wins were the 1sts, 15A’s and the draw in the 16A’s so the top end is still strong at Toowong but that vaunted depth of the past couple of years is all but gone.

Sad but true- coincides with new HM.But the much vaunted depth in the under age teams in robotics and soccer teams has gone through the roof.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Sad but true- coincides with new HM.But the much vaunted depth in the under age teams in robotics and soccer teams has gone through the roof.

Well GT can match your 'boasting' this year - we have already bagged the Volleyball and Cricket, the basketball is just a matter of time and Football is well within our grasp - yet none of this makes Saturday any more bearable for some reason.

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
How good was the little TSS Fullback #15 as a runner of the ball and the solo try from a grubber and regather. People will say he's too small for Senior football but then again they said the same thing about Thurston.
TSS 15 Jye Gray has been a much anticipated follow up to Deon Samuella and exhibited his skill against Churchie. A real talent. Sadly I’m told he fractured his wrist on Saturday and is out for the season. A double blow to TSS as no. 8 James Pere also went down with a knee injury. Difficult for any school to replace that level of talent.

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
TSS 15 Jye Gray has been a much anticipated follow up to Deon Samuella and exhibited his skill against Churchie. A real talent. Sadly I’m told he fractured his wrist on Saturday and is out for the season. A double blow to TSS as no. 8 James Pere also went down with a knee injury. Difficult for any school to replace that level of talent.

Was Jye Gray the no 10 for the TSS U15A last year?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well GT can match your 'boasting' this year - we have already bagged the Volleyball and Cricket, the basketball is just a matter of time and Football is well within our grasp - yet none of this makes Saturday any more bearable for some reason.

I thought BBC got the Cricket this year ? Hearing Churchie and BSHS will also provide a stout challenge to the Basketball Premiership

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Downlands came 2nd Aussie Luke.

Very impressed with TGS's locks and their No 8 , and Skipper , Hamish Muller (who had played lock previously )

Some slick moments from TGS's 9 , Wilson Cochrane , none moreso with a drift off the base about 10m out and an inside flick pass that picks up the trailing lock , Cooper Bridgeman who goes crashing over

A

Aussie Luke

Some really good competition this season by the sound of it with BBC, Churchie, TSS, Ipswich, Nudgee and possibly Toowoomba all able to impact the Premiership outcome. BBC v TSS will be a cracker as will Nudgee v BBC and Churchie v Nudgee at Churchie in the last round on a Friday! I'd have to say on what I've seen so far, I rate BBC and Churchie as the teams to beat, as well as TSS of course. I think Nudgee are just slightly behind these teams but I wouldn't write them off yet.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tied with GT - Basketball is over bah the shouting as is next season, much like BBC's rugby titles in 2019/20.. oh Wait!!.

<As cheeky as old mate in my Avatar,Bagman. Fancy trying to claim a sole Premiership in what is no less the Gentleman's game. And no need for a BBC ribbing after a 72 to whatever spanking........irrespective of the choke hold you have on the truth

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
School rugby is cyclical in nature with a variety of headmasters and heads of sport having different views on the value of certain sports etc etc. The schools that prove successful in producing wallabies are the ones that provide consistent levels of development across the grades without a particular focus on the 1st XV. That stuff sort of looks after itself in most years and every now and then you get a special year.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I was disappointed in Southport on Saturday-very disjointed.
It seems to me:
-BBC & ACGS are better than I though;
-TSS and NC are not as good as I thougth.
BUT TSS are getting very regular at still FINDING a way to win the close ones.

Reds Revival

Stan Wickham (3)
School rugby is cyclical in nature with a variety of headmasters and heads of sport having different views on the value of certain sports etc etc. The schools that prove successful in producing wallabies are the ones that provide consistent levels of development across the grades without a particular focus on the 1st XV. That stuff sort of looks after itself in most years and every now and then you get a special year.

Well said Sir.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)

Sorry to hear that both players were very good. Hope for a speedy recovery for the lads

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Tipping for the first official round of GPS 1st XV 2020 can be found here.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDv49-MqKl7Bp6rYYIvsXlY88ZE52Th4-QVXCNwxLipMCUVA/viewform

Since we only had 10 tippers in the first round and then 30 in the 2nd round, I am going to reset the score from here on in.

System
1 Point for predicting a win/loss
3 Points if you call the draw
5 Bonus points if you pick the winner and the point differential.

There are no prizes.

In a round of huge underdogs here are my picks.

GT vs NC: Its still the battle of the colours which adds a whole different motivation, but Nudgee will be too strong around the park. NC by 19

BGS vs BBC: BBC have an good dilemma with a bye the following week. If you are the BBC coach do you try to keep some of your powder dry for bigger games? BGS on the other hand with nothing to lose, will throw the kitchen sink at it. Can they shut down Howarth? BBC by 27

BSHS vs TSS: Doubtful if having the home ground will really play a factor in this game. Bad news for TSS with some early injury issues, hopefully these kids get another crack next year. BSHS haven't found the try-line yet this year and they might not again. TSS by 30

TGS vs IGS: IMO the game of the round. TGS are fresh off two tight wins over Downlands and GT. As usual IGS are the season Darkhorse's… or are they? Like TGS they have two wins under their belt and will go into the match with a lot of self belief. Bugger it....I'll go all in and call this one a tie.