• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
With discussions of ground up approach in mind , what's the go with the lack of teams in the U14 age group?

BSHS don't have a B's this year, IGS didn't in the U13's last year ( not sure about this year?) and the BBC U14b's play in the C's competition.

Would think this is a bit of a problem moving forward for this age group.

It’s a really good question.

I think it’s the confluence of a number of factors :

1. The Reds not being that good for 6 or 7 years prior
2. The Wallabies being fairly poor for the last 3 to 4 years
3. An unusual WTF outlier year with serious injuries in 2018
4. The economic reality for a lot of 50/50 families in the post GFC / post Resource boom World

If you consider the high water mark of GPS Rugby over the last 10 years as being 2014 to 2017 it flowed on from the Reds winning in 2011 and the Wallabies being pretty competitive in the first half of the decade

And I think hearts and minds have been lost now that John Williamson is nowhere to be seen before Wallabies games . Yeah ..... John Williamson. That’s it. John Williamson.

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
With discussions of ground up approach in mind , what's the go with the lack of teams in the U14 age group?

BSHS don't have a B's this year, IGS didn't in the U13's last year ( not sure about this year?) and the BBC U14b's play in the C's competition.

Would think this is a bit of a problem moving forward for this age group.

It is an odd year as BGS and IGS and BSHS all have at least two teams in the years above and below. BGS are still not fielding an A team electing to only play Bs and BBC whilst a step up this year from last are still significantly below the rest of the comp..in contrast NC Terrace TGS and ACGS all have at least Ds. The group is pretty competitive if you take out BBC and BGS. I think the low number of teams are a result of some of those schools getting thumped by the other schools as the numbers are still strong at the others.

It makes for a tricky comp. For instance this week the ACGS U14 As have no team to play so will have a sup game

BBC Supporter 123

Frank Row (1)
My take on the BBC u15A team, which I also watched last year.

They have an incredible amount of talent, which seems to keep increasing each year in true BBC style.

The locks for that team are no joke, and are the topic of alot of discussion amongst the GPS rugby community. "Cash" i think their coaches call them, im assuming twins. Work horses with incredible skills around the breakdown, always on top of the ball, but never giving away stupid penalties. I would like to see a bit more involvement in the pick and drives, one is definetely bigger then the other, I cant see many 15 year olds stopping him 1 metre out on the line. I also recall last year I watched one singular lineout where they lifted eachother, opposition was no where near the ball; still havent gotten my head around the 3 man lineout they ran last year. But each coach to their own. Suprised that I havent seen them in any representative sides, easily the best locks in that age group in my opinion.

BBC 8 this year is an incredible ball carrier but ive seen wingers who can scrummage better, needs to pull his act together before they play IGS or it will be a massacre. Inside ball to him is near unstoppable with the mass and acceleration on him. New this year, im assuming an import in classic BBC fashion.

Tequiri's son is just a natural runner, watched him run the full feild effortlessly against BGS on saturday. Big things to come if he can put on some size.

If coached correctly, I can see this team winning multiple premierships, and BBC it's maiden first XV undefeated premiership in 2021. (that is assuming they dont win this year)

Goosey

Frank Row (1)

They have an incredible amount of talent, which seems to keep increasing each year in true BBC style.

The locks for that team are no joke, and are the topic of alot of discussion amongst the GPS rugby community. "Cash" i think their coaches call them, im assuming twins. Work horses with incredible skills around the breakdown, always on top of the ball, but never giving away stupid penalties. I would like to see a bit more involvement in the pick and drives, one is definetely bigger then the other, I cant see many 15 year olds stopping him 1 metre out on the line. I also recall last year I watched one singular lineout where they lifted eachother, opposition was no where near the ball; still havent gotten my head around the 3 man lineout they ran last year. But each coach to their own. Suprised that I havent seen them in any representative sides, easily the best locks in that age group in my opinion.

BBC 8 this year is an incredible ball carrier but ive seen wingers who can scrummage better, needs to pull his act together before they play IGS or it will be a massacre. Inside ball to him is near unstoppable with the mass and acceleration on him. New this year, im assuming an import in classic BBC fashion.

Tequiri's son is just a natural runner, watched him run the full feild effortlessly against BGS on saturday. Big things to come if he can put on some size.

If coached correctly, I can see this team winning multiple premierships, and BBC it's maiden first XV undefeated premiership in 2021. (that is assuming they dont win this year)

I see you rate the locks from BBC very highly, what school/ locks would give these lads a good challenge?

Reds Revival

Stan Wickham (3)
My team of the year. Thoughts?

1. Andrew Romano BBC
2. Ben Murphy IGS
3. Carsen Latu TSS
4. Hamish Muller TGS
5. Michael Van Der Schyff TSS
6. Marly Bitungane GT
7. Zac Hough BBC
8. Xavier Stowers IGS
9. Wilson Cochrane TGS
10. Syris Schmidt TSS
11. Kaleb Ngamanu TSS
12. Lastus Aaukai NC
13. Jack Howarth BBC
14. Jojo Fifita TSS
15. Jye Gray TSS

16. BGS** (don't know the name)
17. Will Jones NC
18. Lachlan Bishop GT
19. George Stoddard ACGS
20. George Wunsch TGS

21. Sam Farrar ACGS
22. Taj Annan BBC
23. Ethan King IGS

Honourable Mentions: Joseph Currie (TGS), Mason Gordan (BBC)

I forgot to mention that in watching the BGS games -BBC 1 and 7 were outstanding-so I agree with your team. And they tell me 7 is only grade 11(can play)

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)

A lot of good judges out Boondal way say that NC 15 A is best age group in school.
So that match against BBC will be one to watch. I do not think BBC will be able to handle our 12 & 13.

Hennon George

Frank Row (1)
Tips for this weekend

TSS vs TGS - backing underdogs here TGS. Will be a good game at shark tank, TSS have lots of injuries. Believe if TGS can shut down TSS centres they could get over. Will be a good game.

Terrace vs BSHS - Terrace by 13+. Terrace coming off a strong performance last week vs Nudgee. BSHS just are lacking some expertise this year.

IGS vs NC - again, backing the underdogs as IGS coming off a big win at Fortress Toowoomba in round 1. If the conditions are dry, IGS will be able to swing to backs and keep the ball alive. NC have lacked much strike power this year and tend to have a similar style of rugby so will be a good game.

BGS vs ACGS - Churchie by at least 3 tries. Their excellent performance against TSS in the final trial match, without numerous starters, bodes well for a big win, even despite a few standout performance from the BGS boys against BBC last week, Churchie will be too strong.

What are everyones thoughts?

Jeff Price

Bob McCowan (2)
BBC aren’t winning dick while until they clean house at the top of their Coaching program. The Game against BGS on the weekend re-highlighted the critical flaws.

1. Skill development in key areas / positions is poor
2. Structure / Shape is pretty much non existent
3. There is an alarmingly low lack of defensive urgency or impact in the forward pack with all the big “names” just wanting the bum slay carry without doing anything else and not even making an effort to get off the defensive line.

Word is the new DOR knows what’s up , culturally and structurally , and is working from the bottom up in the younger ages and finding his feet and biding his time. But ultimately the change is a’comin

Chair of the School Council “resigned” last week too in a sort of Morty Seinfeldesque kind of way. That has significance in how things may re-boot overall within the next 12 months in a next Chapter / new regime at Toowong.

Well i mean the game against grammar showed how important petit, milne and MP (Moana Pasifika) are. As they were injured last week the loss of petit and milne meant they lost their 2 best work-horses'. It showed on the weekend. BBC were sloppy at the breakdowns and HMP's play making ability and game awareness was greatly missed. I am not a BBC supporter, however the belief that they are not winning due to coaching in my opinion cannot be verified until all their starters are back.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
TSS vs TGS - As much as I would like TGS to win this game TSS will be too strong even with their players out injured. What TSS have is depth. TSS by 14

Terrace vs BSHS - Terrace by 15. BSHS are an unpredictale side but I think GT will be too good for them on Saturday.

IGS vs NC - Could be a close one but NC will revert to basics and will outlast IGS. While NC have not shown much this could be the game. NC by 14

BGS vs ACGS - ACGS should win this by plenty if they are as good as everyone thinks they are. Their scrum was monstered against TSS. BGS have a way of making it tough for ACGS beating them in 2018 and a draw in 2019. Is this churchie team contenders or pretenders? ACGS by 10

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A few hard to pick games this week. All the tippers pretty much have been going one way until now.

TSS v TGS - I think TGS will put up a hard fight but they would have to be 3/1 underdogs. TSS by 16
GT v BSHS - Both teams will be seeing this game as one they should win. They both put 19 points on the board last week against NC and TSS respectively. Still I haven't seen BSHS and I hope it will be a close game, but GT (who were clicking last week) by 5
IGS v NC - The IGS 16As beat NC last year. That has to add a bit of confidence to an already good looking squad. Still Nudgee are Nudgee. Its even odds for mine, but I think IGS are going to come to Boondall hunting for a big scalp. IGS by 2 in a heart attack of a game with the IGS Hooker kicking the winning penalty (gotta love a goal kicking front rower)
ACGS v BGS - Well last year they had a tie in the 1sts and a close win to BGS in the 16a's. I guess ACGS by 7. Both teams might be missing bigger name players and depth but they have played intelligent rugby.

A

Aussie Luke

Zero chance Toowoomba will beat TSS.

Terrace will demolish State High

Churchie will win by at least 2 tries over the Students

Nudgee and Ipswich is a harder one to call. Nudgee have not played well and I think Ipswich looked good last weekend. It will be close for sure. With the home ground advantage, and having played a couple of hard games, Nudgee might just get across the line, as long as the Captain feeds his outside backs and stops trying to take on the line with every play. For mine, it confuses the backline having an inside center as Captain as the flyhalf should be the one making the calls.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ yeah don’t think him being captain is a problem , but he did try and do it all himself against Terrace.

His early runs looked dangerous and based on GT’s midfield défense the week before when Howarth run riot , I can understand why did wanted a crack . But once Terrace worked out he was always going to go himself , the NC outside backs were staved of any meaningful opportunities.

NC will need to vary their attack to get over IGS.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^To be fair , he (Lastus) is a very good talent and I’ve said before, for me, there are strong similarities in his game to a young Samu Kerevi. The Coach , and Lastus , made adjustments in the 2nd half and they played him deeper and a bit wider in unders and you saw that play making game of his come into play as the ball did move better. Terrace were already well and truly in the game by then with a sniff.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Zero chance Toowoomba will beat TSS.
I wouldn’t say zero chance. Especially if it rains today / tomorrow with forecast Storms etc. The field at TSS can turn into a cake of soap pretty quickly with wet weather. All that river mud just under the surface that doesn’t drain.

If this happens this gives Toowoomba a puncher’s chance if they manage the conditions well.

They have the Horses upfront for the wet.....sort of like Jungle Edge in R7 at Caulfield tomorrow afternoon (if it rains :) )

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I wouldn’t say zero chance. Especially if it rains today / tomorrow with forecast Storms etc. The field at TSS can turn into a cake of soap pretty quickly with wet weather. All that river mud just under the surface that doesn’t drain.

If this happens this gives Toowoomba a puncher’s chance if they manage the conditions well.

They have the Horses upfront for the wet...sort of like Jungle Edge in R7 at Caulfield tomorrow afternoon (if it rains :) )

Agree just add water and perhaps some ice as well.

A

Aussie Luke

probably the most ridiculous thing this forum has ever seen

I thought that might get a reaction. I considered retracting the comment but thought it would at least promote a discussion. I just think the pivot needs to be the one calling the shots rather than the midfield or outside runners.