• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2021

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah can’t argue much with this , although , I have BSHS in at 4th over Churchie
Nudgee early draw round 1 v BSHS followed by BBC round 2 will have a big influence over the final placings for these 3 teams. Both rounds will be tough games for Nudgee and is probably the toughest start for any of the teams in the comp. Nudgee Defense will be critical as always. Nudgee depth is always their greatest asset but this year they really need to start strong, so selections and early combinations critical and trials important.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
I think it could go either way this year, NC and BBC both have a lot of boys returning and TSS won’t be easy beats. Here are my top 3

1BBC
2NC
3TSS

I expect BSHS would be massive improvers this year and expect them to beat at least 1 of the top 3
BGS might also surprise a few this year also, as pointed out already they were relatively competitive last year before injuries hit.
IGS have always carried the giant killers tag so they should be there abouts also.

B.S.H.S are a bit like I.G.S always genuine contenders untill the 2nd round,B.S.H.S 15A were terrible last year,cant see them being top 6 .

A

Aussie Luke

I haven’t heard much about the fly-halves this year. Any intel anyone in this area? Any stars to talk of?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
B.S.H.S are a bit like I.G.S always genuine contenders untill the 2nd round,B.S.H.S 15A were terrible last year,cant see them being top 6 .

Their senior class , this year , was pretty dominant coming through the age groups. I think they have good people involved in their program,so, never know

The top end of GPS has been a little too predictable for a while with TSS/Nudgee/BBS and Churchie just short of with everyone else quite a way behind .

Would be good for the competition to have a bit of a shake up and a changing of the guard so to speak

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Is anyone able to confirm/mythbust the following movements?
- Ryan Schultz from GT to Churchie as 1st XV coach?
- New Rugby Directors at TSS and BSHS?
- Is Mike Wallace going around as 1st XV coach at TSS again??
- New 1st XV coach at BGS?
- Steve Kefu Head Coach at BBC with new assistants?

A

Aussie Luke

It looks like the CM journo is running another anti-BBC again. I assume the pro-Terrace marketing story will come out the next day, which is how they seem to roll there. It's amazing how transparent they are in their campaigns, both as the Terrace cheerleader and as the BBC executioner, given the personal nexus to both these schools.

If I was a BBC OB or teacher/coach, I'd take it as a back handed compliment and an embarrassment at Terrace. Still though, I hope NC get one over you this year on Ross!

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
It looks like the CM journo is running another anti-BBC again. I assume the pro-Terrace marketing story will come out the next day, which is how they seem to roll there. It's amazing how transparent they are in their campaigns, both as the Terrace cheerleader and as the BBC executioner, given the personal nexus to both these schools.

If I was a BBC OB or teacher/coach, I'd take it as a back handed compliment and an embarrassment at Terrace. Still though, I hope NC get one over you this year on Ross!

Most of the courier mail articles don’t even allow comments. The ones that do, they review the comments before publishing and reject any that offer some truths or a differing opinion to good old Kylie (who is a GT mother by the way).

She clearly has it in for BBC!!

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Most of the courier mail articles don’t even allow comments. The ones that do, they review the comments before publishing and reject any that offer some truths or a differing opinion to good old Kylie (who is a GT mother by the way).

If that’s the best she has, she should give it away.

I hope the kid can handle himself on the field as mums sure made him a target / probably a non contact fella if like mum and he hides behind the keyboard.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

I am and we do - sure must be torched by no invite to the formal back in her day.

A

Aussie Luke

The Red, this is exactly my experience. I always comment on the anti-BBC stories and they always reject my comments supporting BBC as they don't want anyone to interrupt the narrative. I was also wondering why she keeps writing stories like Terrace is Harvard University or something and it is pretty obvious there is something personal going on there. I'm reading those stories now with a grain of salt. I'm so glad BBC has manned up as a premier rugby school, and I'm so embarrassed for Terrace. A Terrace mum trying to bully those nasty BBC rugby boys! Love it!

Bluebag

Banned
On Terrace, they seem to be written off this year, yet this age group has always been pretty strong for them I thought.

Quite a few u16's played in the 1sts last year and will be back this year. No David Vaihu's to speak of, but predicting Angus Munn to be possibly the standout forward in the whole comp. Had a cracking year last year as a 16 year old, will be a player of the future.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
On Terrace, they seem to be written off this year, yet this age group has always been pretty strong for them I thought.

Quite a few u16's played in the 1sts last year and will be back this year. No David Vaihu's to speak of, but predicting Angus Munn to be possibly the standout forward in the whole comp. Had a cracking year last year as a 16 year old, will be a player of the future.
Who is coaching Terrace this year? They have a talented lad as goal kicker. Seen him knock them over from 50 regularly and a very special player in attack.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Red, this is exactly my experience. I always comment on the anti-BBC stories and they always reject my comments supporting BBC as they don't want anyone to interrupt the narrative. I was also wondering why she keeps writing stories like Terrace is Harvard University or something and it is pretty obvious there is something personal going on there. I'm reading those stories now with a grain of salt. I'm so glad BBC has manned up as a premier rugby school, and I'm so embarrassed for Terrace. A Terrace mum trying to bully those nasty BBC rugby boys! Love it!
Careful Lukey , I posed the same questions and drew attention to the same issue on the previous page and was referred to as bitter .....goose and gander and all that stuff I guess.

Anyway the Kyles rants take on additional meaning when you consider where the info comes from including their prior whistle stop

But back to the Rugger.....what no Vahiu ? Will Terrace win more than 1 game this year ? 2 games this year ? If they can win 3 games this year (legit) that would be more than the last 2 seasons with a Vahiu or ‘s.

I don’t believe the comparative talent around the traps hasn’t dropped off either ....expect NC’s Robert Toua, BBC’s Jared Homan and perhaps even TSS’s Caleb Ngamanu to be men against boys and be at the top end of the talent pool as their predecessors were before them ....Howarth and Fifita most notably but going down a couple of cogs even NC’s Lastus Aukaki dominated the Terrace midfield last year ....admittedly more so in the 1st half but it was the best midfield talent on display on the day.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
It really is 'Back to The Future' for GT this year - was that a hit in 1984 or was it 85??

Regardless the Coach remains the same.

A

Aussie Luke

I thought Lastas Aulaki was great against weaker back lines last season but he was clearly outplayed by Howarth when they matched up. The try just before half time by Howarth changed the game, and it was Lastas who was outplayed in that try. I think BBC will miss Howarth immensely this year. I thought Gordon also outplayed the Nudgee fly-half in that match when it mattered in the second half although they both played extremely well.

Terrace were very strong last year, as were Ipswich at times. Perhaps they will beat one of the big teams, but I still think you'd have to put your money on Nudgee, BBC or TSS again filling the top three spots.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
No shame in getting run over by Howarth, Lukey - the best athletic back talent to possibly ever play GPS Rugby - or at least in the last 10 years. Hamiso Tabui -Fidow’s cameo at BGS ranks as No 2 as best pure athletic talent I ever saw.

So I wouldn’t label Lastus as a bum slayer of also ran types just based on that - he is better than that. I see him as a skill based midfielder with play creation ability with a good change of direction at speed.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Howarth killed everyone at 17 too. But yes , shame on me for missing Ponga and I have him at 2 and Hamiso at 3

The reason I have Howarth above is purely for his size at a genuine 6’4 + and 100 plus kg . You have to take that kind of agility at that size and strength over someone like Ponga at his size

Jojo Fifita went well against him but Jojo himself had super size but he wasn’t the same type of raw athlete Howarth was . Fifita’s success at TSS was of course attributable to his own talent - but that was handled and developed right by better Coaches and a better system. Jojo was more fundamental and skilled up Rugby wise but not close to the same athletic talent that Howarth was.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on their respective NRL careers at the Storm and the Titans. My tip is you’ll see Howarth emerging moreso next season and I also expect him to have an 8 to 10 year NRL career (injury free allowing) and be a multiple SOO and Kangaroo rep

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Howarth killed everyone at 17 too. But yes , shame on me for missing Ponga and I have him at 2 and Hamiso at 3

I've been pondering this more and Ponga is actually a long way ahead - if my math is right he was actually only 16 in the one year he played at ACGS (2014), and whilst I acknowledge he was in a MUCH better team than Howarth, IMO he was more dominant at 16 than Howarth was at 18.

Given what he did do in 2014 and HAS gone on to achieve , I think it is safe to say he would have ripped the GPS a new one had he played for one more (he was in year 11 when he left) let alone 2 more years.

Howarth was very good at 17, but only truly dominant in 2021 IMO

1,Ponga
2 Howarth
3 Sua
4 Hammer