• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2021

A

Aussie Luke

No shame in getting run over by Howarth, Lukey - the best athletic back talent to possibly ever play GPS Rugby - or at least in the last 10 years. Hamiso Tabui -Fidow’s cameo at BGS ranks as No 2 as best pure athletic talent I ever saw.

So I wouldn’t label Lastus as a bum slayer of also ran types just based on that - he is better than that. I see him as a skill based midfielder with play creation ability with a good change of direction at speed.

I agree that there was no shame at all as Lastas also had a great game (and season) but I think in a couple of vital situations Howarth slightly edged him out due to his power game and understanding of the moment. I really enjoyed this match up actually and I thought whoever gets on top there will win the match.

Longer term we will have to see how Horwarth goes when he plays against the big boys in the NRL.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree that there was no shame at all as Lastas also had a great game (and season) but I think in a couple of vital situations Howarth slightly edged him out due to his power game and understanding of the moment. I really enjoyed this match up actually and I thought whoever gets on top there will win the match.

Longer term we will have to see how Horwarth goes when he plays against the big boys in the NRL.

Poor guy tore his hammy first game in QCUP this year! Off the field within a few minutes unfortunately.

A

Aussie Luke

Lynagh was a great fly-half but his place kicking did let him down during crucial moments e.g. the 1991 RWC. Did he actually play at fly-half when he was at Terrace or in the middle? Was he place kicking for Terrace? They must have had a great set of players as they did put 5 Premierships in a row on the board.

Reds Revival

Stan Wickham (3)
I see Terrace mum Kylie Lang of CM is BBC bashing again.
Time she disclosed her conflicts :-
-she is a Terrace mum;
-the "insider" is her mate that worked at Terrace & was shown the door at BBC(that lady ,the HM and Dep HM all shown the door were all blow ins from Sydney GPS )
On rugby -I agree with Countryjack that TSS have really beefed up their squad with some Titans boys -and I think they are the ones to beat. Could be a 3 way tie me thinks.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Talk about the 4 NZ boys at ACGS is correct.Met 2 of them this morning and they are huge.

Yep the 2 'local' new boys are also impressive specimens and in the top echelon of the U16 age group - if the NZ boys can play they are certainly building an impressive squad for the 22/23 seasons.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yep the 2 'local' new boys are also impressive specimens and in the top echelon of the U16 age group - if the NZ boys can play they are certainly building an impressive squad for the 22/23 seasons.

Trust me they CAN play. I thought it was 4 from NZ? You say 2 are local ?
On GT- I wish Michael Broad much success .Great coach and fantastic bloke. My sons love his camps.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Is anyone able to confirm/mythbust the following movements?
- Ryan Schultz from GT to Churchie as 1st XV coach?
- New Rugby Directors at TSS and BSHS?
- Is Mike Wallace going around as 1st XV coach at TSS again??
- New 1st XV coach at BGS?
- Steve Kefu Head Coach at BBC with new assistants?

Yes -Steve Kefu Head Coach at BBC with Toutai and Phillpotts as per last year.
Lote Tuquri working with back 3 ( which might include his son).

Peter Richards

Bob McCowan (2)
I know it is a little early to comment, however i cannot help but express my excitement for young islander Kristian Tornatore who will be starting in the Churchie 1st XV if he can successfully recover from his shoulder injury. Churchie offered the young league player a scholarship in 2019 and he had a stellar season in 2020. Predicted to play 8 for churchie he should leave it all out on the field in his final year at school and i expect to see some great defensive plays from the 6'4 92kg forward.
Cheers, Pete.

Reds Revival

Stan Wickham (3)
I know it is a little early to comment, however i cannot help but express my excitement for young islander Kristian Tornatore who will be starting in the Churchie 1st XV if he can successfully recover from his shoulder injury. Churchie offered the young league player a scholarship in 2019 and he had a stellar season in 2020. Predicted to play 8 for churchie he should leave it all out on the field in his final year at school and i expect to see some great defensive plays from the 6'4 92kg forward.
Cheers, Pete.

Wow ACGS are going to be much better than I thought -and even better again next year.
4 way tie?. Exciting season.
Who changed the draw?? BBC now play both TSS & Nudgee away .

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
Wow ACGS are going to be much better than I thought -and even better again next year.
4 way tie?. Exciting season.
Who changed the draw?? BBC now play both TSS & Nudgee away .

Got to love the excitement around churchie every year,very much like IGS ,4 WAY tie,you are kidding........

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think ACGS are gearing towards 2022. Don't think they'll get there this year with a new coach and a few new players.

A

Aussie Luke

It might be hard for Churchie to jell in the early part of the season if there are so many new players, but they might do well a few games into the season if they have such strong new recruits. So, their success might be dependent on who they play in the first half of the season.

TSS replicate this formula also i.e. they always seem to have a bunch of stars who join for the First XV at the end of their schooling. I don't think that TSS are a very strong rugby school if you dig into their results, as they lose almost every game each year to Nudgee through the grades, and their First XV is just a bit of window dressing on an otherwise unremarkable rugby culture. Stars? Yes. Rugby depth? No. If one day they manage to get 50% against Nudgee on a win-loss across the grades, then I will at that point welcome them to the conversation about credibility as a rugby school.

The big story this year will be Nudgee v BBC. What a day this will be on Ross Oval with a full grandstand and I imagine a lot of supporters from both schools (well, at least a lot from Nudgee...).