• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2021

Peter Richards

Bob McCowan (2)
It might be hard for Churchie to jell in the early part of the season if there are so many new players, but they might do well a few games into the season if they have such strong new recruits. So, their success might be dependent on who they play in the first half of the season.

TSS replicate this formula also i.e. they always seem to have a bunch of stars who join for the First XV at the end of their schooling. I don't think that TSS are a very strong rugby school if you dig into their results, as they lose almost every game each year to Nudgee through the grades, and their First XV is just a bit of window dressing on an otherwise unremarkable rugby culture. Stars? Yes. Rugby depth? No. If one day they manage to get 50% against Nudgee on a win-loss across the grades, then I will at that point welcome them to the conversation about credibility as a rugby school.

The big story this year will be Nudgee v BBC. What a day this will be on Ross Oval with a full grandstand and I imagine a lot of supporters from both schools (well, at least a lot from Nudgee.).

Yes Luke,
As always this will be a headlining event, however i expect BBC vs Churchie to be even better regarding the hype within the schools (not necessarily the biggest crowd) and the game should shape up to be a physical game. Safe to say, these two cohorts do not like eachother and the 'chirping' (if you will) will definitely begin early that season. Should be a great season as always fellas and I definitely look forward to BBC vs Nudgee but especially Churchie vs BBC.
Regards,
Pete Dick.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes Luke,
As always this will be a headlining event, however i expect BBC vs Churchie to be even better regarding the hype within the schools (not necessarily the biggest crowd) and the game should shape up to be a physical game. Safe to say, these two cohorts do not like eachother and the 'chirping' (if you will) will definitely begin early that season. Should be a great season as always fellas and I definitely look forward to BBC vs Nudgee but especially Churchie vs BBC.
Regards,
Pete Dick.

Funny you should say that.
I hear it got ugly/physical at swimming this year between ACGS/BBC.
That ACGS match is also Old Boys day at BBC -so there will be some banter from this that started lunch at midday.
I hear NC are expecting/planning for 10,000 people at BBC match.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
That ACGS match is also Old Boys day at BBC -so there will be some banter from this that started lunch at midday.

How many and what positions do BBC have back this year??

A

Aussie Luke

I was hoping to catch some TSS fish with my baited hook, but I haven't landed anything yet...

I didn't realise that there is this animosity between BBC and Churchie, but now I know this, I do look forward to the match up. I guess Grammar kind of fell off the hill as a rival for Churchie since they are now not really into rugby so much, and now, given that BBC has become a very credible rugby school throughout the grades. These emerging rivalries are terrific. Great news!

Peter Richards

Bob McCowan (2)

Yeah absolutely mate, Volleyball this year really ignited a rivalry between the two cohorts in which ACGS absolutely took the upper hand in. BBC will be out for revenge this footy season after copping it bad from the ACGS boys. Rugby is a whole new story with the physical aspect and there is no doubt the matchup will lead to some 'beef' before, during and after the game.
As always,
P. Richards

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Xavier Stowers? The no 8? He was Senior last year?

He was signed by the Titans in the off-season.

https://www.qrl.com.au/draw/mal-meninga-cup/2021/round-2/jets-v-bears/
Can confirm that what Blue & White posted is correct.

Left the IGS boarding house at the start of the year , now at Marsden High with a Titan’s contract.

Would have been quite the handful coming off the back of the scrum for IGS this year , but not to be. He does “extras” training with a mate of mine and he is looking very fit.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
The GPS premiership will finish the same as each schools representation in the Super Rugby Final
NC 5 -players
BBC 4 -and Brad Thorn a parent
TSS 4 -if you include injured Slipper.

A

Aussie Luke

Who are the 5 Nudgee Old Boys?

I know:

James O'Connor (Captain...sorry Churchie...)
Josh Flook
Alex Mafi
Dane Zander

Not sure who the 5th is? Possibly someone in the Brumbies?

Well done to BBC, TSS, Terrace, State High, Ippy (?), Grammar, Churchie, Toowoomba who also are supplying some players to the final.

Go the Reds!!

A

Aussie Luke

Ah yes, that's right Pasitoa. I really think he's a much better prospect longer-mid term to the Brumbies' present number 10 albeit he is a bit younger and less experienced. I'd love to see a bit of O'Connor and Flooky v Pasitoa on Saturday.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
With the Wallabies v France scheduled for 17th July at Suncorp. Could we see a repeat of Nudgee v State High clash as a curtain raiser with that also the scheduled date at State High home ground?

Helix

Bob McCowan (2)
Stowers will be a huge loss to IGS. Don’t think there is too many returning from last year or year before. Maybe the 9 and 12. Both made QLD u16 in 2019.

BBC Supporter 123

Frank Row (1)
Considering it is a talking point at the moment, I thought I'd offer some insight into the BBC vs Churchie senior rivalry in 2021. My understanding of the situation is that some pretty personal sledges were thrown over social media between boys from both schools earlier this year (before they played cricket and volleyball against one another). This conflict sparked the competitive flame between the two cohorts - BBC held spirit rallies and heavily advertised for boys to watch cricket and volleyball on the weekend.

To their credit, Churchie matched the BBC spectators on the day at 1:1. The sports hall was packed, and spectators went to war with one another. However, constant war cries and chants from the BBC were not loud enough to stop a much stronger Churchie volleyball team who closed the match 3 sets to 1 (for those who don't know volleyball, this is a pretty large win margin). Salt was rubbed in the wound later in the cricket, where Churchie sent the BBC boys packing with yet another loss to their name. The day was filled with heavy and disrespectful sledging from both schools.

One or two weeks later came GPS swimming where, you guessed it, Churchie and BBC were seated right next to each other. This time, the only difference is that Churchie's 80-100 spectators were dwarfed and deafened by 350 BBC boys (consisting of about 170 seniors). As expected, the afternoon was filled with more disrespectful sledging and confrontation. BBC is by no means a good swimming school, but due to some great individual and relay performances, they trumped Churchie for the first time this year, and boy did they let the blokes from Churchie hear it. The classical dog bark was the prominent noise of the night.

Next on the cards is rugby, the pinnacle of GPS sport. And whilst this may not attract many spectators outside of the school, rest assured both Churchie and BBC seniors will show up by the busload. If I was a betting man, I'd hedge my bets on the fact that there will be a confrontation or two because these senior cohorts HATE one another with a passion.

My take on the matter is that it's great to see this old school rivalry emerge once again. However, the noise from Churchie spectators isn't going to stop the rampaging BBC team headed by Annan. BBC by 25 in a bloodbath.