• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2021

The Raging Potato 23

Allen Oxlade (6)
BGS are a absolute joke. Since 2012 they have been the laughing stocks of the comp. BGS are clinging onto their victory in 2012 to hide behind. They will lose every game this year I am calling it now. They would easily come last in AIC. So they have zero chance in GPS.

They need to have a complete culture change.

I 100% agree. Whilst the primary goal of a school is academics, the GPS is primarily a sporting institution. You need to be in the GPS to be considered the best at sport, but you don't need to be in the GPS to be the best at academics.

Their basketball program is an absolute joke as well, they are an easy beat for every single team for years now. For reference, last year they lost to IGS (second last on the ladder) 107-45. For those who don't know basketball, a win margin of this size in unheard of (unless you're playing BGS). BGS season was headlined by a 164 - 44 loss against Churchie (the largest losing margin in GPS history). A regular Joe-blow state school would beat their First V basketball program.

I think BGS really need to pull their finger out sporting wise, they're doing a disservice starving their students from being able to go and watch the First XV on the weekend, and them actually being competitive, or having a chance to win. It will never happen, but my vote is that the bottom school in rugby gets dropped out each year, and the top from the AIC comes in. Whilst there is still a huge gap between GPS and AIC, we'd at least see some more competitive games.

But hey, BGS could make the same case against other schools for their academics. Including Nudgee (who's OP results weren't even in the top 100 in the State in 2019)

Dan Stavens

Bob McCowan (2)
Why Dan? They seem to be a pretty good school. High level academic outcomes.

Why should they be so concerned about rugby scores?

Well this is a rugby forum so I am concerned about there rugby scores. Im sure academically they are fine but in terms of rugby they are a disgrace and a joke.

Dan Stavens

Bob McCowan (2)
I 100% agree. Whilst the primary goal of a school is academics, the GPS is primarily a sporting institution. You need to be in the GPS to be considered the best at sport, but you don't need to be in the GPS to be the best at academics.

Their basketball program is an absolute joke as well, they are an easy beat for every single team for years now. For reference, last year they lost to IGS (second last on the ladder) 107-45. For those who don't know basketball, a win margin of this size in unheard of (unless you're playing BGS). BGS season was headlined by a 164 - 44 loss against Churchie (the largest losing margin in GPS history). A regular Joe-blow state school would beat their First V basketball program.

I think BGS really need to pull their finger out sporting wise, they're doing a disservice starving their students from being able to go and watch the First XV on the weekend, and them actually being competitive, or having a chance to win. It will never happen, but my vote is that the bottom school in rugby gets dropped out each year, and the top from the AIC comes in. Whilst there is still a huge gap between GPS and AIC, we'd at least see some more competitive games.

But hey, BGS could make the same case against other schools for their academics. Including Nudgee (who's OP results weren't even in the top 100 in the State in 2019)

Agreed when when BGS are losing by 60+ in rugby and basketball on weekend. There involvement in GPS should be questioned.

Dan Stavens

Bob McCowan (2)
BGS also almost lost to AIC teams such as Villanova College and only a lucky late goal saved them form a embarrassing defeat in football. During the actual season they only recorded 1 win vs a poor Churchie side in the final round. They also got draws vs TGS and BBC respectfully. With the latter losing to AIC teams in pre season such as Villanova again. It is not only Rugby and Basketball that they are poor at.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Seriously let’s find some positives - yes it’s been 16years since BBC win at TSS but they did it - BGS 2012 win was one of the great team stories I can recall they pulled four cats out of the bag and TGS, ACGS and BSHS have shown great signs for us having a deeper GPS competition this year.

ITS GOING TO BE A GREAT 2021 win, lose or draw let’s enjoy it and be grateful we can get out there and watch it - let’s talk about positives - great to see Loalesio Swain Ikitau join all the other wallabies on Saturday. The game has its own challenges with red cards from ridiculous rules but there’s so much to look forward to.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Seriously let’s find some positives

BGS has always had and still does have, nice top end talent, the two 16 year olds in this years team are terrific prospects who have long been amongst the best in their age group - sadly like the Hammer, Gilbert and Fraser Mac before them, they will be let down by depth a problem all schools who don’t bring in big numbers (ie the top 4) struggle with.

BGS does pretty well in plenty of endeavors - Rugby just is a poor cousin in terms of activities at the school.

C

CRUISER

Each school goes through cycles. In the 1980’s the grammar school were the dominant rugby school in GPS. Most were afraid to play them. They had an even darker strip, something more akin to the ALL BLACKS, and a similar aura about them- seen by all as unbeatable. BBC were the easy beats and Nudgee and Southport generally towards the bottom or mid table at best. BGS were producing the wallabies like Julian Gardner, Greg Martin , Tom Lawton,Cameron Lilliecrap, Andy Macintyre and more recently Stephen Moore. They did their heavy lifting into Wallaby colours via their GPS dominance.

It is not BGS’S time now. However it will come around again, and those schools currently enjoying dominance will again saviour humble pie at the hands of a resurgent Grammar. That is the beauty of the GPS system, enjoy dominance whilst you have it, because the competitive nature of the group means that the other schools will be scheming your demise by inventing more innovative ways of winning. The win some/ lose some environment teaches young men, and are lessons they will use their whole lives.

So there must be winners and there must be losers. Everyone gets a turn at both. Just no one get too cocky cos GPS rugby is a great equaliser.

EVAL 1

Peter Burge (5)
Each school goes through cycles. In the 1980’s the grammar school were the dominant rugby school in GPS. Most were afraid to play them. They had an even darker strip, something more akin to the ALL BLACKS, and a similar aura about them- seen by all as unbeatable. BBC were the easy beats and Nudgee and Southport generally towards the bottom or mid table at best. BGS were producing the wallabies like Julian Gardner, Greg Martin , Tom Lawton,Cameron Lilliecrap, Andy Macintyre and more recently Stephen Moore. They did their heavy lifting into Wallaby colours via their GPS dominance.

It is not BGS’S time now. However it will come around again, and those schools currently enjoying dominance will again saviour humble pie at the hands of a resurgent Grammar. That is the beauty of the GPS system, enjoy dominance whilst you have it, because the competitive nature of the group means that the other schools will be scheming your demise by inventing more innovative ways of winning. The win some/ lose some environment teaches young men, and are lessons they will use their whole lives.

So there must be winners and there must be losers. Everyone gets a turn at both. Just no one get too cocky cos GPS rugby is a great equaliser.

Best quote yet, 100 percent agree

C

CRUISER

I maybe going to early in the week but my guesses for this weekend.

Gregory Terrace v BSHS

I am keen to see this game after the efforts put in last weekend by both teams. Although Terrace is home, I was rather impressed with both speed of outside backs and size of forwards of BSHS, and I think they prove too much to handle for Gt. BSHS by 3

BGS v Igs
I think both of these teams would have sat through some lectures by the coaches this week. I am thinking an improved performance by BGS but the yelling in the IGS Lecture would leave the IGS team under no doubt, that an improved performance is required. Igs by 20

Churchie v Southport.

Very tricky. Churchie at home , fresh from bye, BBC victory in trial, and an enthusiastic home crowd. Vs a totally dominate TSS against weak opposition last week, playing away. Both of these teams have the capacity to be the real deal and see both BBC and NUDGEE to 3nd and 4th. Are they premiership material? Both play a methodical , Disciplined and well drilled brand of Rugby. Can I opt for a draw.?
If I had to pick, Southport by 3 on last weeks demolition.

BBC v NUDGEE.

Well this is huge. One of the big ones are likely to be dealt a near fatal blow to their premiership chances on Saturday. On last weekends performance neither team deserve to be confident. To me Nudgee looked not ready last weekend, and it took their stars to steady the ship. They did not look like the well drilled outfit we have seen in past seasons but I suspect their experienced coaches will have seen that, and tried to work the team backed together at training this week. Have they created a champion team? On the flip side BBC looked like a team of individual champions all trying to put their individual stamp on the game last week. That did not work for mine and many of their raids broke down. The pressure to finally win back to back premierships for the school must be crushing. The expectation of the school community after last years success is through the roof, and despite the obvious talent and even 1st 15 experience, they are only schoolboys trying to handle the hype. I think NUDGEE will be harbouring resentment over last year and that, and remembering that BBC does not hold the voodoo that Churchie can weld over NUDGEE on JACK LOSS OVAL, it will be too much and NUDGEE sneak home by a converted try.

The Raging Potato 23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tips for the weekend

GT vs BSHS
- BSHS in an absolute bloodbath despite Joe Liddy's best efforts to level the playing feild.

BGS vs IGS
- Don't even need an analysis. Automatic win for IGS. Grammar would struggle to beat the longreach under 11's!

ACGS vs TSS
- If it wasn't for NC vs BBC, this would be the game of the round. Super tough to pick, two well-drilled, skilled teams. That being said, TSS have the star power which Churchie don't, TSS by 8

NC vs BBC
- BBC to play a slow, methodical game through their forwards, Nudgee to play expansive to Toia and Boyd. This is a huge one. BBC has beaten Nudgee for 2 years running, and it's very rare for Nudgee to lose three. That being said, I'm saying BBC up at the half, followed by a dominant second half by Nudgee in front of 10k home spectators. But it won't be enough. BBC powerhouses Leli, Hough and Wheen to be too good for Nudgee forwards. Best on ground prediction: Zac Hough from BBC (who scores twice). However, If Homan is not ready to play, or gets injured early, I'm saying NC by 14, BBC will have no answer for Toia. Huge battle come scrum time where arguably the 2 best forward backs will but heads. The "plebs from Toowong" as Nudgee call them will send the mighty polar bear into hiding once more.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tips for the weekend

NC vs BBC
- BBC to play a slow, methodical game through their forwards, Nudgee to play expansive to Toia and Boyd. This is a huge one. BBC has beaten Nudgee for 2 years running, and it's very rare for Nudgee to lose three. That being said, I'm saying BBC up at the half, followed by a dominant second half by Nudgee in front of 10k home spectators. But it won't be enough. BBC powerhouses Leli, Hough and Wheen to be too good for Nudgee forwards. Best on ground prediction: Zac Hough from BBC (who scores twice). However, If Homan is not ready to play, or gets injured early, I'm saying NC by 14, BBC will have no answer for Toia. Huge battle come scrum time where arguably the 2 best forward backs will but heads. The "plebs from Toowong" as Nudgee call them will send the mighty polar bear into hiding once more.

BBC play a slow /methodical game ???
On Doubletake last year the stats showed they passed the ball more than any team in history?? On Saturday -they went too wide way too early.Back to class my lad.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I would love to know how GPS ended up on CluchTV rather than Double Take - terrible decision if Round one is anything to go by.

Removing the videos after 48 hours really!!!

The Raging Potato 23

Allen Oxlade (6)
BBC play a slow /methodical game ???
On Doubletake last year the stats showed they passed the ball more than any team in history?? On Saturday -they went too wide way too early.Back to class my lad.

They are a well coached team. They went wide early on the weekend and for a while almost lost to TGS. They don't have Howarth or Mason Gordon this year. Playing to the outside is a suicide mission against Nudgee's outside backs. Mapa, Toia, Their 12 (who's name escapes me) are some of the best outside backs in the comp. BBC's forwards are elite, why would they not want to play for territory, utilise their forwards etc...

Dan Stavens

Bob McCowan (2)
This Weekends Predictions:

TSS VS Churchie: TSS looks very strong on the weekend steam rolling a weak BGS side. While this may fill them with confidence leading into this important match. There is still plenty for them to prove. Churchie have plenty of promise however, I do not see them on the same level as BBC, NC and TSS. TSS+10

IGS VS BGS: As I have previously stated I believe BGS wont win a game this season. However, if BGS are to win one game it would be against the largely inconsistent IGS. IGS seem to always find a way to win a few games against the top 4 teams and then lose to teams such as GT last week who were tipped to come last. Despite this I still can't imagine BGS winning. IGS+8

NC VS BBC: Should be one of the best games this season. BBC despite a poor first game were able to put away a strong TGS outfit. BBC with Jarred Homan, Hough and other standout players will be hard to beat. NC are expecting over 10k supports for there old boys day and with Robert Toia will be hard to beat. However, BBC have beaten them 2 year running. I predict that BBC will lead by 5+ at half but, Nudgee will comeback in the second half to beat them 5+.

GT VS BSHS: GT in my opinion got very lucky that IGS is the most inconsistent school in GPS History. BSHS are a strong side and will show it on Saturday. BSHS 20+

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would love to know how GPS ended up on CluchTV rather than Double Take - terrible decision if Round one is anything to go by.

Removing the videos after 48 hours really!!!
I think if you do a search on the app you will find the replays you want. I’m having trouble chrome casting on it.
The cast from tss is unfortunate - in previous years they elevated the camera tripod on a platform to dodge those pesky schoolboys.
The intro “music” is the same as double take as is the commentary - I guess they have coalesced.
I’m just thankful to them that I can see these wonderful games of rugby.

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think if you do a search on the app you will find the replays you want. I’m having trouble chrome casting on it.
The cast from tss is unfortunate - in previous years they elevated the camera tripod on a platform to dodge those pesky schoolboys.
The intro “music” is the same as double take as is the commentary - I guess they have coalesced.
I’m just thankful to them that I can see these wonderful games of rugby.
I miss hearing the ref’s comments .

Will Rogers

Bob McCowan (2)
What a round this will be!
Here are my predictions:

GT vs BSHS - (BSHS by 7+) GT expected to be strong, being first home game of the season and with a valiant forward pack with the likes of Liddy and Sua. However, I expect BSHS to be strong with their quick outside backs and stronger forward pack.

BGS vs IGS - (IGS by 15+) IGS expected to be to dominant in all aspects of the game with yet another struggling BGS team this year.

ACGS vs TSS (ACGS by 3+) I think it can be done. Whilst TSS showed great footy last week versing an ever struggling BGS team and coming away with a strong win, it is inevitable that they will be full of confidence coming down the M1. However, Churchie proved that they have a strong team this year beating BBC in a trial (I know BBC had a lot of players out). Churchie not playing in RD 1 means they will be full or energy and ready to dominate. Churchie expected to bring a large crowd for the first home game of the season and have a lot to prove. I could see them upsetting the boys from Southport. But only just!

NC vs BBC (NC by 6+) What a spectacle this will be. No Covid restrictions and sunny skies expected, this will be the game of the round. Hearing there will be over 10k NC supporters?? Expecting the grandstand to be flooded with the blue and white. Whilst BBC showed good glimpses in last weeks game, they were very shaky. And only being a week in between games I'm sure they will tighten this up with the strong coaching staff they have on offer, but don't see them being good enough for the strong Nudgee Team who looked well drilled and have one of the stronger backlines in the comp.