• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2021

C

CRUISER

Toia has already met Sword in a trial game 29 May.

Trial , Interesting but not really the same thing. Obviously TIOA is much more fleet footed than Sword. But sword is a more damaging crash ball runner. Did you see them against each other? Any thoughts?

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Both. BBC has not put enough work and time into their younger years whilst throwing everything at the top end. Their current 15As played most other schools Bs for a couple of years after having cricket scores put on them. For a school their size they should also have more depth of teams. Some age groups tap out at Cs. On the other hand Nudgee teams are all incredibly well drilled and trained. They take some good kids and make them great. (Plus add in some stars).There is strong competition for spots across all grades which drives boys to be better. The reason the are so good at winning is because if their culture of belief and a focus that goes all the way down. Not just at the top. Great teams are built back in the 14s not created at the end.

It's worth sifting through the debris here...
Sure the current BBC 15As played in the Bs comp during their time in 14s and 13s, but are they in the As comp now because of a strong program or because the cheque book has been opened? Genuine question.
The other big question is the program at BGS. This same age group played their As in the 13B comp, 14Bs and now 15Bs. There is merit in teams playing at their skill level but if a team/group don't improve, it is a scary prospect. These 15s from BGS will be in the mix for 1st XV next year (you'd think). Going from 15B rugby to 1st XV is some step. Neil Armstrong-esque.
In all, developing a program is key and relying on scholarships to bolster your program is dangerous.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Trial , Interesting but not really the same thing. Obviously TIOA is much more fleet footed than Sword. But sword is a more damaging crash ball runner. Did you see them against each other? Any thoughts?

Robert Toia has no fear of Larzlo Sword.
Looking forward to Round 7 on Ross Oval.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Hats off to BBC . With thier 2 best players out
Taj for the match
Zac Hough after 1/2time
And nearly pull it off was very gutsy
If Taj was there to mark TOia - then different storybook

C

CRUISER

Robert Toia has no fear of Larzlo Sword.
Looking forward to Round 7 on Ross Oval.

How is the Toia shoulder? Can it take hits to round 7? Bshs exploited his Channel and further out nicely last week. There are weaknesses. Its a long season.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Saw the Churchie game yesterday. The forward pack is big and physical. The back 5 will cause issues against anyone they play. The 8 was my MOM and if he keeps playing like today I can see him being the No 8 of the season. Even with 10 in the bin he was everywhere. Well supported by the 10 and can"t not mention the speed and size of the 11.
The TSS 12 is fast and created oportunites with most touchs, The 15 is Mr zip zip and pops up whenever there is a break out. It was a great game to watch. TSS didn't give up and I'm sure they thought they could claw back to win right to the final whistle.
Are Churchie destined for "greatness" hard to tell - They have some weakness to overcome / protect. But they will cause all teams to think and be ready for a battle when the Blue and Grey come.

Ronald Reagan

Stan Wickham (3)
BBC should’ve won. The whole second half was played in Nudgee’s 22, error after error and they choked. They just don’t have a Howarth this year to rely on in those situations.

C

CRUISER

Saw the Churchie game yesterday. The forward pack is big and physical. The back 5 will cause issues against anyone they play. The 8 was my MOM and if he keeps playing like today I can see him being the No 8 of the season. Even with 10 in the bin he was everywhere. Well supported by the 10 and can"t not mention the speed and size of the 11.
The TSS 12 is fast and created oportunites with most touchs, The 15 is Mr zip zip and pops up whenever there is a break out. It was a great game to watch. TSS didn't give up and I'm sure they thought they could claw back to win right to the final whistle.
Are Churchie destined for "greatness" hard to tell - They have some weakness to overcome / protect. But they will cause all teams to think and be ready for a battle when the Blue and Grey come.

Hound. A very fair analysis. TSS are no push overs. Jock McPherson played number 8 for ACGS- outstanding athlete. Watched the Nudgee v Bbc game again.

Very high quality and much higher intensity game than Acgs v Tss. Perhaps BBC v NUDGEE are playing at a much higher level to the rest. Perhaps that was the premiership decided yesterday??

Time will tell, but Bbc , Churchie and Tss all still in the mix. I would also keep an eye on Tgs and Gt. Gt will have gone to school on yesterday game, as their season will be focused on beating Nudgee in the annual “All - Mic” derby.

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's worth sifting through the debris here.
Sure the current BBC 15As played in the Bs comp during their time in 14s and 13s, but are they in the As comp now because of a strong program or because the cheque book has been opened? Genuine question.
The other big question is the program at BGS. This same age group played their As in the 13B comp, 14Bs and now 15Bs. There is merit in teams playing at their skill level but if a team/group don't improve, it is a scary prospect. These 15s from BGS will be in the mix for 1st XV next year (you'd think). Going from 15B rugby to 1st XV is some step. Neil Armstrong-esque.
In all, developing a program is key and relying on scholarships to bolster your program is dangerous.
I suspect BBC have improved their 15s mainly by chequebook, as there are few new faces running round. They are better than they have been in recent years. The benefit of them playin in the Bs is also that it has kept some boys in the game.. you will find it hard to keep boys involved if they Re getting whacked every single week. It but on the other hand it also means that the other schools get to play more hard competitive games which ultimately benefits them...but then possibly makes it harder for the others to bridge the gap.
That said I agree with your comments re BGS and wonder what will happen come 1stXV time. Their probs are different to BBC though. I think they work hard with what they have at Grammar but are up against the soccer mafia there and do not have as strong a community support for the game as the other GPS schools... I think a different but related problem might be brewing at IGS... No B team that I can see in the U16s or 15s.. I would imagine this lack of depth could cause problems in the next two years. Granted the current IGS U15s are very strong but is one team enough when you get to the high impact 1sts?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Disappointed Homan never went looking for work - needed to involve himself a lot more

Maybe confidence isn't quite there yet ? Decent op he had. Anyway I believe in this young guy and will watch his progress with interest. I just think he needs to regain some confidence.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
BBC should’ve won. The whole second half was played in Nudgee’s 22, error after error and they choked. They just don’t have a Howarth this year to rely on in those situations.

It's an interesting and fair point without turning it into a BBC bake.

BBC have had big issues for the best part of a decade that coincided with them beginning to get consistently relevant that really started with Tom Barker from around 2012 onwards. They'd always find a way to be on the wrong side of the rub of the green (no pun intended)

But Howarth was the one. Without Howarth they still don't win last year. It had zero to do with the program,the Coaching or anything or anyone else. Just that true x factor ......in the way that Toia is for Nudgee this year..... Nudgee ain't special .......its Toia.

I will concede, on a comparative basis, Nudgee have had some really good guys at Coaching and Director levels that have built on the inherent Nudgee self belief. Mike Wallace for me is the Coach K of GPS Rugby and if there was such thing as a GPS Rugby Hall of Fame he and Grant Andersen would be in it - they have both done fabulous things for Schoolboy Rugby and Rugby on the Gold Coast generally and deserve the utmost respect. Churchie also consistently roll out the goods with "program" and whilst Terrace have been a misfiring cannon over the last half a dozen years or so you can't deny their historical lineage. There is Coaching and Management talent as much as there is an earnestness in the BGS program but in terms of what to work with it has been like taking a knife to a gun fight ( which might be OK if you are John Wick .....)

Outside of this no one else has managed to (recently and consistently year on year) put a fair dinkum program with genuine Coaching quality on the table. Those that defy in their First XV performance, or indeed their overall program performance, have just been about volumes of prime cuts and sub cuts.

Do Churchie win in 2014 without Ponga ? Probably....... in fact , yeah ......100% . So that team wasn't reliant on one guy to do something special to win a Premiership but more and more "the competition" is coming down to who has the best X factor.

And I reckon you can already look at GPS rugby from mid decade onwards ( IE from 2015 to now ) and truthfully say there were only 3 to 4 true big time difference makers ( at this stage ) and probably only about 3 or 4 more yet to blossom into true difference maker / generational talents

Howarth is one of those. And so too might be Robert Toia.

And these are the types of guys that will decide Premierships.

And the new media of Schools Rugby in Australia ...but more particularly (and almost exclusively) Brisbane GPS Rugby , is tailor made for individual sell a star projections.

And its shit for the game. Overall. Fox in the Fowl Yard type stuff.

3rdXV Casual

Frank Nicholson (4)
Given their performance's this week, I think GT and BGS both deserve some more respect on their names, just putting that one out there. Both were slated by most for heavy losses to their opponents and put on a show to win quite confidently. Based on these past 2 weekends, GT vs BGS will likely be a tight game this season. However, neither are looking like they will be strong enough to front up to the top 4, especially not BGS with that loss to TSS. If TSS can beat BGS by that much, the BGS game against Churchie will likely be a whitewash.

Dan Stavens

Bob McCowan (2)
Egg on my face. I called BGS wouldn't win a game this season but to be fair they were able to find a team even less consistent then themselves. IGS always manage to impress causing upsets every round. Beating the best and losing to the worst. Fair play to BGS. Well done.

I haven't watched the GT V BSHS game so I can't comment on the actual game. However, I can say that I am very impressed with GT in these last two rounds. Many predicted that they would finish last however. After winning first round and beating BSHS handily. A team who was very hyped prior to the season. I have really enjoyed seeing GT step up.

How close BBC we were to winning that game. They were camped on the Nudgee try line for the last 10mins but were unable to break through. Nudgee's defence was very impressive. BBC's kicker left 5 points on the board which could have won them the game. I think with Taj Annan plays BBC win. Toia was brilliant, a true super star. Without Toia Nudgee lose simple as that.

Wow I was lucky enough to make it down for the Churchie vs TSS came. As a Churchie old boy it was fantastic to see the Churchie boys get up in a huge upset. The boys were brilliant I was rather nervous entering the game that TSS may get a early led and the Churchie would crumble under the pressure leading to a blow out. But Churchie battled hard. A heroic effort that has set up the first XV for a possible premiership. If Churchie can beat BBC in round 5 should set up a barnstorming "grand final" of sorts on ross oval in round 7 as undefeated Nudgee takes on a Undefeated Churchie side.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
TGS beat Downlands in the O'Callaghan Cup 24-8 at TGS. Huge crowd, biggest in years, but cold and windy. Scrappy game. TGS prop Charlie Wigan is a really impressive footballer.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
TGS beat Downlands in the O'Callaghan Cup 24-8 at TGS. Huge crowd, biggest in years, but cold and windy. Scrappy game. TGS prop Charlie Wigan is a really impressive footballer.

TGS won every match against Downlands on Saturday. Their First XV will be a threat to any school particularly if played on Old Boys Memorial Oval in conditions like we had on Saturday ie freezing weather with a howling westerly.

Reds Revival

Stan Wickham (3)
TGS won every match against Downlands on Saturday. Their First XV will be a threat to any school particularly if played on Old Boys Memorial Oval in conditions like we had on Saturday ie freezing weather with a howling westerly.

R1 BBc v TGS

BBC won 72 % of matches against TGS & every open match( 1sts to 6ths).
14 As & 13 A s both won. 16 A draw. 16 B/C both win
14AS and 16 As both beat ACGS in trial.
Does that mean BBC program improving or TGS backwards ?
Holy shit Nudgee can put on a show-I was waiting for the disco to start...

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
R1 BBc v TGS

BBC won 72 % of matches against TGS & every open match( 1sts to 6ths).
14 As & 13 A s both won. 16 A draw. 16 B/C both win
14AS and 16 As both beat ACGS in trial.
Does that mean BBC program improving or TGS backwards ?
Holy shit Nudgee can put on a show-I was waiting for the disco to start.

I guess we will know this weekend who has the better Rugby Programme as TGS play NC in Toowoomba. Given that BBC didn't win a game v NC, and BBC only go down to B's in the younger grades it should be an interesting test. TGS C and D teams had to find other opposition to play in the younger grades.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
I guess we will know this weekend who has the better Rugby Programme as TGS play NC in Toowoomba. Given that BBC didn't win a game v NC, and BBC only go down to B's in the younger grades it should be an interesting test. TGS C and D teams had to find other opposition to play in the younger grades.

Was there a 6ths match played - don't think so.

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone had any luck with replays or keeping downloads of the games?

Really disappointing that Cluch doesn’t keep a recording of the games to watch later for more than a day or two.