• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2021

Ear

Peter Burge (5)
Surely they can't crown a winner after 2 rounds? I'd be fine if they called this one a draw for each side and moved on, but I highly doubt this is only a 3 day lockdown.

Didn’t BBC win their first outright premiership last year by only winning 6 games. Do they have an * next to that premiership in the record books?

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
Didn’t BBC win their first outright premiership last year by only winning 6 games. Do they have an * next to that premiership in the record books?

They played both GT and Churchie and won convincingly in both games, however they classified those rounds as trial games not part of the actual GPS comp.

However they flogged TSS and beat Nudgee comprehensively so don’t think there is any asterisk against last years premiership.

The Raging Potato 23

Allen Oxlade (6)

Hey mate, just letting you know that there may or may not be a large gap between playing 2 games and playing 6 games! Also, BBC won both the "trial" games convincingly, against Terrace and Churchie. They were undefeated last year, playing both Nudgee and TSS.

Lets be honest, despite being undefeated, Terrace are one of the worst teams in the comp, Joe Liddy (OOps, I mean Terrace!) don't deserve a prem. Nudgee on the other hand are a lot better. But they would likely be tested against teams like Churchie and TSS. If Toia's shoulder goes, Nudgee lose, simple as that.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Hey mate, just letting you know that there may or may not be a large gap between playing 2 games and playing 6 games! Also, BBC won both the "trial" games convincingly, against Terrace and Churchie. They were undefeated last year, playing both Nudgee and TSS.

Lets be honest, despite being undefeated, Terrace are one of the worst teams in the comp, Joe Liddy (OOps, I mean Terrace!) don't deserve a prem. Nudgee on the other hand are a lot better. But they would likely be tested against teams like Churchie and TSS. If Toia's shoulder goes, Nudgee lose, simple as that.
This sucks !

The comp hasn’t been called ……. please grow up!

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
BGS student has tested positive. Whole school cohort required to isolate until further notice. Could mean the end of the GPS comps going on this term.

Ear

Peter Burge (5)

If we are including trials. BBC have lost 2 games already this year??

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Can't imagine we'll get much, if any rugby in this term. If lockdown is extended they'll need some return to play protocols to make sure their bodies are ready for the physicality.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Unfortunately, I would not be surprised if all school sports are down for the rest of the year if not longer.

Australia is entering into a transition phase between virus elimination and virus mitigation/management and the people are not yet prepared for what that entails.

It will get worse before it gets better.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
STATEMENT - GPS Association Extended SEQ Lockdown

Following the announcement by the QLD Government, all GPS Sport and Activities in the 11 affected LGAs is suspended until 4pm, Sunday 8 August.

The GPS Association can confirm, Term 3, Round 3 Basketball and Rugby and Round 4 Chess, Basketball and Rugby are classified as abandoned for all member schools.

Further to current restrictions, the scheduled round 5 fixtures between Brisbane Grammar School and Toowoomba Grammar School (Chess, Basketball and Rugby), will be abandoned due to QLD Health quarantine orders.

As per the GPS Abandonment of GPS Competition and Activities (Clause 11.1 a) and sport-specific by-laws (Clause 7.2) scheduled games will be deemed a draw, two (2) points to each competing member school.

As we continue to live in a COVID environment, the priority is our students' safety while maintaining the integrity of a GPS Premierships. Following the Abandonment of GPS Competition and Activities by-law, clause 12.3, 75% of the scheduled fixtures or seven (7) of the nine (9) scheduled rounds are to be completed to award a Premiership. While we are not currently in this position, it is timely to remind our community of our by-laws.

The GPS Association will continue to review the COVID-19 situation in the days ahead and make further decisions as required. We remind our communities to continue checking the QLD Government expose site and stay home as per the current directive.

SOUTH EAST QUEENSLAND 11LGA LOCKDOWN - ACTIVE UNTIL 4PM, 8 AUGUST

During the lockdown, residents in the 11 LGAs will only be permitted to leave their homes for the following reasons:
• To buy essentials such as groceries or medications
• Work if you can’t work from home. No school, except for children of essential workers
• Exercise within 10km from home (no community or professional sport)
• Healthcare, including to get a COVID-19 vaccination or to provide help, care or support.
• Please remember to wear a mask when you leave home

The Association will await QLD Government advice regarding further actions and decisions and provide updates as they come to hand.

Stay safe, stay home and get tested!

Rounds 3 & 4 are cancelled. Round 5 BGS v TGS is cancelled too.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
They played both GT and Churchie and won convincingly in both games, however they classified those rounds as trial games not part of the actual GPS comp.

However they flogged TSS and beat Nudgee comprehensively so don’t think there is any asterisk against last years premiership.

They were called trial matches in name only-they were full on -certainly no replacements running off and on.
beat ACGS 19v 5
Beat GT 69 v5

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They were called trial matches in name only-they were full on -certainly no replacements running off and on.
beat ACGS 19v 5
Beat GT 69 v5

There will always be an asterisk next to the Premiership because of the change in format, that's what it indicates. I don't think that takes away from them being the Premiers and an outstanding team. They were the best team in the comp and showed that in their results. If the season went ahead as initially planned they'd still be premiers.

Now if the cards had fallen the way I wanted and the GPS didn't have these pesky by-laws I feel that Terrace could have shared a premiership with NC that would have been wonderful, but would have required multiple asterisks as it would be a farce.

JandalSandalsss15

Frank Row (1)
Agreed, I don't see any team getting over Nudgee or BBC.

End of 2021 Season table prediction (assuming no more further lockdowns)
1. NC (15 Points)
2. ACGS (12 Points)
3. TSS (11 Points)
4. BBC (8 Points)
5. GT (8 Points)
6. TGS (7 Points)
7. BGS (5 Points)
8. BSHS (4 Points)
9. IGS (2 Points)

The lockdown saves BGS from bottom 2 spots with the draw against BBC, BSHS and TGS (and obviously, has negative effect on the 3 schools that lose an opportunity to get the 2 points - whilst grammar are no 'easy win' team this year at all, I dont see TGS BSHS or BBC losing to BGS)

Regardless of the lockdown points, if NC beat TSS then the winner of NCvACGS wins premiership for year assuming both teams win remainder of games ( and yes, that does mean i think ACGS will beat BBC... BBC dont beat churchie with their current weaknesses and a full strength ACGS side).

I will add however, these 2 weeks of abandoned rounds (and 3 for TGS and BGS) have provided a good opportunity for teams to recover/not sustain further injuries to squads. Which is why I put nudgee on top, beating TSS with a potential full strength team back by then and will go into ACGS round with confidence.

Obviously a lot yet to play on the announcements to come on saturday/sunday - as the unfortunate and least desirable result of an extended lockdown would make for an "unwinnable" premiership for the GPS Rugby 2021 season.