• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

It's amazing how quiet this forum is when nudgee gets beaten. I can hear the crickets up here in nq. Great work to all the underdogs this weekend it's always great to see the competition alive and unpredictable.
Hey Dcarter - Did you watch the Churchie Nudgee Game? #Crickets

Seriously- Nudgee are a class outfit and will rebound no doubt - Just not their day yesterday.

I wish Robert Toia a speedy recovery - He was devastating yesterday and a worthy warrior. A 3RD Year Veteran of the Nudgee 15. Outstanding service.

I hope he is back next week , or the GPS competition will be all the poorer.

MrRugbyman

Frank Row (1)
As stated GT against BBC was the worst game I have seen in recent years. That form line was backed up by IGS beating BBC and BGS beating GT. IGS and BGS have won approx 5 games in 10 years. This vindicates my commentary around that BBC game against GT. I also believe that BSHS will beat GT this weekend. But hey they must be doing something right Pat Carrigan went there. :)
Where is the bunker when you need it? Down by 4 points with 3 minutes to go

1659259450542.png

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
100% agree - plenty of other reasons why Terrace lost the game. Certainly not an easy job refereeing, would be very easy to miss something when it is all happening very fast.
The BGS midfield was dominant in both attack and defence, thought both the 12 & 13 had great games.

The GT performance was not up to standard, hardly any line breaks and looked like they ran out of ideas about how to make one. Well done to the BGS defence.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
TGS still need a reliable kicker. Had a penalty to win the game against TSS at the death. Difficult but kickable; 35 + metres out; 15m in from the sideline. Saw the match live. Missed some gettable conversions and then surprised everyone with a conversion from the sideline. TGS have a strong well drilled forward pack who grind away in the opponent's 20m. They missed Oliver Chaffey who got a yellow card in the 2nd half. Also could have been the difference between winning and losing. Arguably they should have won both of their matches against NC and TSS. I reckon they could spoil the Churchie party on Old Boys' Oval when the Vikings journey up the Range. Hopefully it will be a bitterly cold day with a howling westerly, giving a wind chill temp of about 5 degrees. I might extract some bets off some mates who are Churchie supporters... could get 2/1??

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
TGS still need a reliable kicker. Had a penalty to win the game against TSS at the death. Difficult but kickable; 35 + metres out; 15m in from the sideline. Saw the match live. Missed some gettable conversions and then surprised everyone with a conversion from the sideline. TGS have a strong well drilled forward pack who grind away in the opponent's 20m. They missed Oliver Chaffey who got a yellow card in the 2nd half. Also could have been the difference between winning and losing. Arguably they should have won both of their matches against NC and TSS. I reckon they could spoil the Churchie party on Old Boys' Oval when the Vikings journey up the Range. Hopefully it will be a bitterly cold day with a howling westerly, giving a wind chill temp of about 5 degrees. I might extract some bets off some mates who are Churchie supporters... could get 2/1??
I think TSS can beat churchiest this week. tough to back up from Nudgee game down there. Ripe for the picking I am thinking.

I think that is a very sensible argument Les. TGS are a genuine threat and are a very strong chance of ending Chuchie's run.

The celebrations over at Oaklands Parade is dying down now, despite the fact that if they don't win another game all season, they have come away from the Season as "Winners" having achieved the Goal already. That is ,The bringing down from orbit to earth , "Satellite Nudgee"

Churchie still have heaps of work to do and could realistically fall at any hurdle.

Churchie has TSS at TSS this weekend and I fear TSS had an Off Day against Nudgee, but really are premiership material. If Churchie can do to TSS , what they did to Nudgee on the weekend , then ACGS is the Real premiership favourites but still with hard games ahead. TSS will still be smarting over their Nudgee performance and I have little doubt, they are a better team than that and Churchie should show much respect to TSS this weekend, (and put the massive win last Saturday behind them.)

However, TGS are a scary force too and one of Real chances of an upset. They have been a bogey team for Churchie , with Hamish Stewarts 2015 TGS beating Churchie's premiership winning team to deny them "Undefeated Status" and yes the Journey up to T'Wom'Bar on a cold gloomy Saturday afternoon is close to the "tuffest" assignments in GPS. This year is especially dangerous as TGS has a formidable team that is competing well in the Top 4 of the comp. I also think the two teams are similar , and maybe why Nudgee had trouble with both.

BGS is also a surprise Packet. For me the game on the weekend was an eye opener. GT in my mind are really not in the league of almost all the Top 6, but those team leaders keep holding their performance together. The BGS game was GT's least inspiring performance and I fear they may have peaked and will now trail off, to play some very mediocre Rugby in the next few weeks. They have lost season momentum throwing away a 12-0 lead to lose. On that basis, this weekend does present BSHS an opportunity for a win and show they are not a half bad side.

BGS on the other hand, sped up and slowed down the game at will. When they sped up to top gear, GT could not go with them. This game speed was impressive and obviously the outside backs showed punch and Fire power that I had not given them credit for. Put BGS down as yet another Churchie Hurdle. Lets see how they handle IGS on the weekend .

BBC I still see as dangerous, their confidence this season has no doubt been smashed, but they do have the cattle and certainly outside pace to cause Nudgee some issues this weekend. Wouldn't BBC love to catch Nudgee by surprise , and kick them whilst they are down. Whilst I am sure Nudgee will be looking to steady the ship and hopefully have Toia back, wouldn't it be the perfect forum for BBC to announce to the Competition, the fire power they have but not used all season by inflicting another loss on the hapless Nudgee side.

Churchie play Southport this weekend , T'wom'bar the following and then get a bye. Churchie would have burnt some petrol downing Nudgee and then having to face two tough challenges- is it too much?. Get those games behind them and have a week off- that will set them up nicely for the run to the end of the season.

For mine, Churchie will need to be a seriously good side to deal 100% with all these challenges but time will tell. I fear that it is too tough for them to go undefeated so that gives the chases hope. As Nudgee will now surely tell you, respect all competitors and assume they can all beat you- not the other way around

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that is a very sensible argument Les. TGS are a genuine threat and are a very strong chance of ending Chuchie's run.

The celebrations over at Oaklands Parade is dying down now, despite the fact that if they don't win another game all season, they have come away from the Season as "Winners" having achieved the Goal already. That is ,The bringing down from orbit to earth , "Satellite Nudgee"

Churchie still have heaps of work to do and could realistically fall at any hurdle.

Churchie has TSS at TSS this weekend and I fear TSS had an Off Day against Nudgee, but really are premiership material. If Churchie can do to TSS , what they did to Nudgee on the weekend , then ACGS is the Real premiership favourites but still with hard games ahead. TSS will still be smarting over their Nudgee performance and I have little doubt, they are a better team than that and Churchie should show much respect to TSS this weekend, (and put the massive win last Saturday behind them.)

However, TGS are a scary force too and one of Real chances of an upset. They have been a bogey team for Churchie , with Hamish Stewarts 2015 TGS beating Churchie's premiership winning team to deny them "Undefeated Status" and yes the Journey up to T'Wom'Bar on a cold gloomy Saturday afternoon is close to the "tuffest" assignments in GPS. This year is especially dangerous as TGS has a formidable team that is competing well in the Top 4 of the comp. I also think the two teams are similar , and maybe why Nudgee had trouble with both.

BGS is also a surprise Packet. For me the game on the weekend was an eye opener. GT in my mind are really not in the league of almost all the Top 6, but those team leaders keep holding their performance together. The BGS game was GT's least inspiring performance and I fear they may have peaked and will now trail off, to play some very mediocre Rugby in the next few weeks. They have lost season momentum throwing away a 12-0 lead to lose. On that basis, this weekend does present BSHS an opportunity for a win and show they are not a half bad side.

BGS on the other hand, sped up and slowed down the game at will. When they sped up to top gear, GT could not go with them. This game speed was impressive and obviously the outside backs showed punch and Fire power that I had not given them credit for. Put BGS down as yet another Churchie Hurdle. Lets see how they handle IGS on the weekend .

BBC I still see as dangerous, their confidence this season has no doubt been smashed, but they do have the cattle and certainly outside pace to cause Nudgee some issues this weekend. Wouldn't BBC love to catch Nudgee by surprise , and kick them whilst they are down. Whilst I am sure Nudgee will be looking to steady the ship and hopefully have Toia back, wouldn't it be the perfect forum for BBC to announce to the Competition, the fire power they have but not used all season by inflicting another loss on the hapless Nudgee side.

Churchie play Southport this weekend , T'wom'bar the following and then get a bye. Churchie would have burnt some petrol downing Nudgee and then having to face two tough challenges- is it too much?. Get those games behind them and have a week off- that will set them up nicely for the run to the end of the season.

For mine, Churchie will need to be a seriously good side to deal 100% with all these challenges but time will tell. I fear that it is too tough for them to go undefeated so that gives the chases hope. As Nudgee will now surely tell you, respect all competitors and assume they can all beat you- not the other way around
Agree with that assessment, but to be honest, not across the relative abilities of BGS, BBC and GT. TGS has a tough fixture this weekend which has nothing to do with the GPS Comp when they take on the Garrick Morgan coached Downlands often with Tim Horan providing a few pointers - both old boys. This is probably the only time that Downlands face a full strength First XV from the GPS, as both schools will belt piss and pick-handles out of each other for bragging rights on the range on the annual TGS old boys weekend. The fixture at Downlands I believe? Hopefully the injury toll not too bad for TGS.

Agree with that assessment, but to be honest, not across the relative abilities of BGS, BBC and GT. TGS has a tough fixture this weekend which has nothing to do with the GPS Comp when they take on the Garrick Morgan coached Downlands often with Tim Horan providing a few pointers - both old boys. This is probably the only time that Downlands face a full strength First XV from the GPS, as both schools will belt piss and pick-handles out of each other for bragging rights on the range on the annual TGS old boys weekend. The fixture at Downlands I believe? Hopefully the injury toll not too bad for TGS.
Interesting ......and after the blood is moped up from the annual Downs "Love fest", TGS play Churchie. So both have tough assignments. Should make it interesting - I am highly impressed by TGS this year.

GPS_Rugby_Lover1978

Frank Row (1)
Yes and maybe …..

Could end up being a Churchie v BGS premiership decider …. Didn’t see that coming !
Totally Agree with this, however, the underdogs (BGS) can smell the meat (premiership) from a country mile away. I feel like everyone has turned a blind eye to the BGS rugby program, the tide is finally turning. This comes down to the backline, prolific players such as William Sheedy and the wildcard Angus Tolhurst who made his impactful debut on the weekend. The dynamic duo found form with the Bat and with the boot, gracing the Northgate number 1 oval with so much pride in their logo. Rowan Tong-law the workhorse in the front row was the fittest out of the GPS, running in pre-season from Ross to Churchie in his time trial as if he were an Eagle eyeing off its prey. I drove down from the range to have the privilege to spectate the 2022 king of the hill round seeing the pressure that this man enforces on the opposition's front row in the scrum, cracking the confidence like an egg. I will certainly be making the trip down for the Churchie and Nudgee rounds for BGS as there are some incredible prospects in their starting lineup. Would like to hear everyone else's thoughts on this opinion?