• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

I assume critiquing the behaviour of the old boys now grown men is ok? The behaviour of some of the Churchie old boys at the Churchie v Nudgee game at East Brisbane last week was ordinary to be frank. They booed and hissed as the goal kicker was lining up kicks and at the conclusion of the game stormed the ground like they were current students and gave it to the Nudgee kids in the crowd. Now as an old boy I get it. We are all passionate and want our schools to win but come on lads, our time has past, let’s set an example for our sons and show them what being GPS old boy is all about.
Sounds like another of those supporters who found the afternoon challenging to watch( Lol).

I was there and within 50 metres of the Old Boys tent . I thought the Churchie Old Boys added to the Spectacle and the Atmosphere of the game ( and in good fun and gist) and the run on at the end of the match will be positively remembered for years to come and may in deed become a precedent for the future. It demonstrated the absolute "Togetherness" of the School community and I encourage all schools to follow.

The young Old Boys ( Many were last year school leavers) were certainly cheering on their team and in deed their mates and with good reason.- the team was magnificent. The Old Boys are an important part of the school community and that sort of passion is what some other schools and indeed Rugby lacks at the moment. I suggest other schools not envy but emulate .

Nudgee are a good team and good winners, but when their school loses, they do demonstrate varied forms of being bad losers ie Refs Fault, Coaches Fault , Opposing Schools Old Boys Network fault Bla Bla Bla. I understand, the Loss hurts , I get it! They need to vent their hurt.

I recall that in 2015? or was it 2014, the whistle blew for another "Ross Oval Loss" and the entire student body of Churchie ran onto the ground to enthusiastically embrace their All conquering first XV. This procedure had been undertaken at Ballymore for generations where kids were allowed to run out in the middle of the field after the full time whistle, in the hope they could pat a hero on the back and tell their mates on Monday on the Bus to school. Bragging rites! It had happened at GPS and TAS games for many years too. It was an expected custom and tradition to the game where the team and their supporters met in an emotional reunion.

Anyway in 2015 ?, The Legend goes that following the massive Viking Victory on Ross, the following week, an unidentIfied Headmaster tabled at a Full sitting of the GPS Headmasters, that the practice of running on to grounds to congratulate the team must stop. The Teams were to cease play on the Whistle and in a gentlemanly fashion, go to the other-side to shake hands and offer congratulations or commiseration whilst the supporters must wait in their positions in the stands , for their 1st 15 to complete the handshaking ritual , and then the exhausted team can run to the sideline to greet their supporters. What a complete removal of an important aspect of the game.

It is this sort of nonsense that has destroyed the support for the game in general however. Young Kids used to love the idea of being able to be caught up in the emotions of a 1st XV win on the field with the team they adored. In my opinion, removing that unprescribed and absolute spontaneous emotional response of all schools to run out to their team with the stroke of the Headmasters pen, destroyed a bit of fabric that the whole game is built on - Grass roots and tradition.

We are now all shaking our heads cos some schools Rugby programs are about to disappear up their own backsides as they struggle to field teams and some want to know why. I lay the blame at those who are trying to remove the raw emotion and atmosphere from one of the last bastions of healthy Rugby that Kids have thrived on for generations.

The Atmosphere at the Churchie / Nudgee game last week was outstanding and both schools contributed. Similarly the TGS and Downlands game. If what happened on these days was wrong and inappropriate behaviour may it continue , for the sake of the game. We need the passion back!

Bravo Churchie Old Boys - Keep the emotions alive.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Sounds like another of those supporters who found the afternoon challenging to watch( Lol).

I was there and within 50 metres of the Old Boys tent . I thought the Churchie Old Boys added to the Spectacle and the Atmosphere of the game ( and in good fun and gist) and the run on at the end of the match will be positively remembered for years to come and may in deed become a precedent for the future. It demonstrated the absolute "Togetherness" of the School community and I encourage all schools to follow.

The young Old Boys ( Many were last year school leavers) were certainly cheering on their team and in deed their mates and with good reason.- the team was magnificent. The Old Boys are an important part of the school community and that sort of passion is what some other schools and indeed Rugby lacks at the moment. I suggest other schools not envy but emulate .

Nudgee are a good team and good winners, but when their school loses, they do demonstrate varied forms of being bad losers ie Refs Fault, Coaches Fault , Opposing Schools Old Boys Network fault Bla Bla Bla. I understand, the Loss hurts , I get it! They need to vent their hurt.

I recall that in 2015? or was it 2014, the whistle blew for another "Ross Oval Loss" and the entire student body of Churchie ran onto the ground to enthusiastically embrace their All conquering first XV. This procedure had been undertaken at Ballymore for generations where kids were allowed to run out in the middle of the field after the full time whistle, in the hope they could pat a hero on the back and tell their mates on Monday on the Bus to school. Bragging rites! It had happened at GPS and TAS games for many years too. It was an expected custom and tradition to the game where the team and their supporters met in an emotional reunion.

Anyway in 2015 ?, The Legend goes that following the massive Viking Victory on Ross, the following week, an unidentIfied Headmaster tabled at a Full sitting of the GPS Headmasters, that the practice of running on to grounds to congratulate the team must stop. The Teams were to cease play on the Whistle and in a gentlemanly fashion, go to the other-side to shake hands and offer congratulations or commiseration whilst the supporters must wait in their positions in the stands , for their 1st 15 to complete the handshaking ritual , and then the exhausted team can run to the sideline to greet their supporters. What a complete removal of an important aspect of the game.

It is this sort of nonsense that has destroyed the support for the game in general however. Young Kids used to love the idea of being able to be caught up in the emotions of a 1st XV win on the field with the team they adored. In my opinion, removing that unprescribed and absolute spontaneous emotional response of all schools to run out to their team with the stroke of the Headmasters pen, destroyed a bit of fabric that the whole game is built on - Grass roots and tradition.

We are now all shaking our heads cos some schools Rugby programs are about to disappear up their own backsides as they struggle to field teams and some want to know why. I lay the blame at those who are trying to remove the raw emotion and atmosphere from one of the last bastions of healthy Rugby that Kids have thrived on for generations.

The Atmosphere at the Churchie / Nudgee game last week was outstanding and both schools contributed. Similarly the TGS and Downlands game. If what happened on these days was wrong and inappropriate behaviour may it continue , for the sake of the game. We need the passion back!

Sorry Norselander I’m not with you - went there to support the underdog and left thinking Nudgee crowd left a much better impression than the arrogant slander coming from the old boys - my family and I had to move spots as the bad language and abuse was wrong unfortunately as it tainted a great day.

Oracle - I have great respect for what you write and you are one who is passionate about the game I hope I am not out of line when I say.......

" I think it great ( If not a little curious) that you came along to support the underdog, but in Hindsight couldn't GT have done with your support more than Churchie?"

Last edited:

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
On a different note. If you get a chance try and catch a glimpse of the 12As for Nudgee at some stage. Great team for 12 years olds. so skilful and talented. Small forward pack but tough as nails. since the GPS season started here are there results.

55-0 against TSS
45-0 against TGS
55-0 against churchie
then before they played BBC on Saturday at 12pm, they played a full game against GT at Nudgee at 8am.
36-7 against GT
47-5 against BBC

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Oracle - I have great respect for what you write and you are one who is passionate about the game I hope I am not out of line when I say.......

" I think it great ( If not a little curious) that you came along to support the underdog, but in Hindsight couldn't GT have done with your support more than Churchie?"
Thanks Norselander all good to challenge but FYI I’m a rugby fanatic not a biased supporter - I’m a BBC old boy but am happY to travel to the best game when I can and my school tie does not tie me down as I have close mates at ACGS NC GT TSS BGS n of course BBC. Thought it was a great outcome that day but my last comment stands. I should say all schools have the lip but on that weekend it should have been reigned in, in my opinion.

In all seriousness, fair comment. It's a free country and everyone is entitled to a view. I saw passion at 50 metres, you sound like you were in the Nudgee supporters stand next to the Old Boys tent and heard bad language that offended your Family. I am sorry you and your family had an unfortunate experience, I know that would not have been the intention of those young lads. As a rugby tragic , I am sure you have seen/heard worse at Club games but I take your point. It was a schoolboy game and high standards need to be set.

Another gripe - I am stunned that there is no absolute quiet for place kickers by both schools and supporters. Watch the other games of the rounds and the kickers are being put off and jeered and then cheering when they miss. This is a relatively new thing to GPS, and I think it poor sportsmanship.

Anyway, that Topic is dead.

Lets look forward to this weekend and talk Rugby rather than Morale judgements of others behaviour we have no control over.

Last edited:
On a different note. If you get a chance try and catch a glimpse of the 12As for Nudgee at some stage. Great team for 12 years olds. so skilful and talented. Small forward pack but tough as nails. since the GPS season started here are there results.

55-0 against TSS
45-0 against TGS
55-0 against churchie
then before they played BBC on Saturday at 12pm, they played a full game against GT at Nudgee at 8am.
36-7 against GT
47-5 against BBC
It sounds like Nudgee have another winning XV coming through the ranks. I love the idea of them , coming up through the years ahead, growing up and experiencing success without bulk and Gym Powder. I like the purist idea, that they are winning because they are skilled young athletic rugby players - may it stay that way for the games sake.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
What time do 1stXV games kickoff? In a couple of weeks I think I’ll finally venture out and check one of them out. Churchie is the closest spot to me so likely one of their home games.

Thanks. Which of these matches would be the pick of the two? I’m not fully across GPS rivalries etc.
BBC can play some pretty rugby to watch but at this stage its not their year- still could manufacture an upset with that team. BGS play Nudgee College this weekend. A win would see them become a thorn in the side of the Big Three for premiership and a close game would be expected at ACGS regardless.

Pale Rider

Frank Row (1)

Mate I’ve got no problem with current students running onto the ground after a great win, hell I’ve done it myself in my day. Grown men doing it though takes away from the young blokes whose turn it is.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ippy and Grammar will be the giant killers. Whoever plays them from here to the end will being living in fear of an ambush. I think Nudgee v Grammar on Ross this weekend but I'm not sure who Ipswich play.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
TGS v ACGS - Toowoomba should win this one against the Church school up the range but it will be a close one.

BSHS v IGS - Ipswich will stay in the hunt with a win against the State school.

BBC v TSS - Southport should win this one but it is at Toowong so it should be a close one.

NC v BGS - Nudgee need to be careful here as Grammar are a solid team but I expect Nudgee will win all games again.

Winterfell

Frank Row (1)
In all seriousness, fair comment. It's a free country and everyone is entitled to a view. I saw passion at 50 metres, you sound like you were in the Nudgee supporters stand next to the Old Boys tent and heard bad language that offended your Family. I am sorry you and your family had an unfortunate experience, I know that would not have been the intention of those young lads. As a rugby tragic , I am sure you have seen/heard worse at Club games but I take your point. It was a schoolboy game and high standards need to be set.

Another gripe - I am stunned that there is no absolute quiet for place kickers by both schools and supporters. Watch the other games of the rounds and the kickers are being put off and jeered and then cheering when they miss. This is a relatively new thing to GPS, and I think it poor sportsmanship.

Anyway, that Topic is dead.

Lets look forward to this weekend and talk Rugby rather than Morale judgements of others behaviour we have no control over.
Unfortunately the silence during a penalty kick or conversion is a thing of the past. In saying that, most kickers would be put off more with the silence when going through their kicking routine nowadays. I believe it’s something that creeped in when the game went professional & some crowd behaviour from that 13 man code became accepted into spectator etiquette

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Unfortunately the silence during a penalty kick or conversion is a thing of the past. In saying that, most kickers would be put off more with the silence when going through their kicking routine nowadays. I believe it’s something that creeped in when the game went professional & some crowd behaviour from that 13 man code became accepted into spectator etiquette

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Noise from the crowd during a kick or lineout throw depends on the school. The Churchie boys are ripped a new one by their head if they even so much as cough at the wrong time. So much so that there was confusion the other day if they were allowed to cheer during a scrum feed. Yet last weekend at TSS the boys at the Shark Tank were deafening when the Churchie boys had a line out right in front of the stand. The expectations vary from school to school. (The old boys on the other hand are a different matter as they are no longer as easily control by the school)

Milkman09

Frank Row (1)
I did attend the 13a game on Main Oval on the weekend where Nudgee won 20-7- it was the only other game I saw besides the BIG ONE.

The difference in the two teams were obvious.

Nudgee were a team of Big boys for their age and the call " Give it to the big kid" had devastating effect as the Big Kids were immediately supplied with the ball, where they tucked it under their arm , and turned the shorter lighter , Churchie kids into Bowling pins. The Churchie Kids were tenacious, throwing themselves with copy book tackles at the ankles of the "Big Kids" or being carried on the Big Kids backs with 4 other teams mates as they grappled with the "Giants" to bring them down. What they lacked in size they made up in heart but were no match for the physical size and strength of 13 Years old who had , been blessed with their growth spurt early.

What I was more interested in was the rugby skill at that level, rather than the result. The ACGS forwards techniques were sound but out muscled and the backline sang like a bird, moving the ball swiftly to either blue and grey wings without incident, or showing rugby intelligence beyond their years as they spiralled torpedoes into open spaces and cutting swaths of realestate out of the Nudgee territory turning around the "big kids" only to face the Bowling Pin outcome again. Their Rugby skills were silky smooth for that age group and the coaching staff had obviously started to drill technique and skill into this team, knowing the growth spurts will all come in time. They are in no rush to win. A real rugby program.

I have seen this before. Little but talented 13a team getting towelled at that level ,grow up to be formidable FIRST XV's with combination and chemistry that can't be bought in with a cheque book. Add a couple of cheque book players who bring in external skills that can be dissolved into the rest of this nucleus later on and you have the secret to a good Rugby Program that will go on to produce multiple representative players. That is what Australian Rugby needs.

My takeaway -
1. Is a successful rugby program one who has the ability to put kids in the Gym and out Muscle other sides and win every game every week ? , or
2.one that imparts true Rugby skills on its students, taught technique and rugby smarts as they build a warehouse full of Talented young kids who grow up to be good Rugby Players with the ability to play "Champagne rugby" and maybe one day play in the Wallabies?

I think the later , is what Australian Rugby needs. Less Muscle powder and bench pressing and more athletic Barbarian style silky hands rugby and unstoppable mauls from Fitter Lighter packs that just know how to scrummage better than the Muscle.

Australian School programs need an overhaul. We need more Ella's , Lynaghs, more "Horans and Littles", More Campese and Goulds, even Quads or Pongas -more Barbarian flair..... more X Factor players who have rugby skills bred into them from a young age...... and who cares if they lose every match, so long as this skills transfer continues to grow the game and build a professional game we can be proud of......and the kids have a smile on their faces whilst this is done.

Now thats a Rugby Program.
Completely erroneous comment - Churchie 10 kicked everything and when they threw it slightly wider they dropped it following the linespeed from NC defence.
NC also had many out and many out of position.
Seems like you watched a different game

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watch the reply of the IGS v BGS game. When the final penalty shot is being taken to decide the match, you could hear a pin drop. Even the visiting BGS boys and supporters kept a respectful silence.