• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
That's what is about, an opportunity for kids to play sport. It's not the schools' responsibility to develop the game even though the game does benefit from what the schools do.

Good Argument
Winning 55-0 nearly every week isn't a competition nor a sport. I dont enjoy it and I am on the winning side, how do you think the losing side feel.

What I am suggesting is TAS moves rugby to term 3. then we run 2 competitions in parallel. Lets call them GPS white and GPS red. In GPS white is the current GPS schools and in GPS red is schools such as downlands, Ashgrove, st pauls etc. And run it like that, with the bottom 3 teams in GPS white getting relegated and the top 3 in GPS red getting promoted. thoughts? come on hurl the abuse.
Dcarter - For years , GPS Rugby was in term 2 with TAS and AIS schools but GPS Rugby was forced to move to Term 3 to accomodate the popularity of Soccer( Football) as there were kids who wanted to play both, but could only play one, if they were both in Term 2. unsure if TAS etc could accomodate.

With Soccer and Rugby operating together, the Fields also took a hit and struggled to recover each week. That was my understanding of the move of Rugby to term 3.

Last edited:
D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The GPS Rugby comp is an opportunity for students who attend a GPS school to play rugby , the very same way it is with all other GPS sports/competitions. It's not the GPS association's responsibility to develop rugby players, it's to educate. Pathways may have become reliant on the sports programs that GPS schools run, but that is not unique to rugby.

I know this is a rugby forum, but how to justify "relegate" a school from the GPS association based on one sport? The school year is full of them.

When I was at school Nudgee didn't row, don't think TGS still do, going to "relegate" a school over rowing, or tennis, or chess?

I provided a run sheet of the Terrace v Downlands round and could for every round to date. Terrace have 32 teams that the school attempts to organise a game for every Saturday during Term 3. That's what is about, an opportunity for kids to play sport. It's not the schools' responsibility to develop the game even though the game does benefit from what the schools do.

Over to you
All I want the schools to do is expose as many kids to the sport as possible and then make sure they are well coached to learn the basic skills of the game.
It would also be good if they learnt the camaraderie and etiquette of competitive sport along the way.

If we could get a better conversion rate of school participants into club participation (post school) then the improvements we want to see in our Super Rugby and Test teams will come from the competition of more people.

How many 1st XV kids never play again after school because of the pressure (real or implied) turns them off?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What I am suggesting is TAS moves rugby to term 3. then we run 2 competitions in parallel. Lets call them GPS white and GPS red. In GPS white is the current GPS schools and in GPS red is schools such as downlands, Ashgrove, st pauls etc. And run it like that, with the bottom 3 teams in GPS white getting relegated and the top 3 in GPS red getting promoted. thoughts? come on hurl the abuse.

Let's go further. Traditional school season in Term 2.

Term 3 becomes a new State Relegation Comp among 1sts teams only.

Div One - Nudgee, BBC, TSS, Churchie, Terrace, IGS, TGS, BSHS
Div Two - Ashgrove, Downlands, St Lawries, BGS, St Pats, Iona, Padua, St Peters
Div Three - Sunny Coast Grammer, Somerset, St Eddies, Villa, Trinity, Rocky Grammar, All Saints, Canterbury College,
Div Four - ATC, JPC, Marist Emerald, Wavell SHS, MArsden SHS, St Pauls Anglican, Scots Warwick, St Columbans.
Div Five - St Johs Anglican, West Moreton, Ormiston, Pacific Pines, St BRendans Yeppoon, Mountain Creek SHS, Kings Christian College, AN Other.

Promotion Relegation, Winner goes up next year, Loser goes down,

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

good luck getting all those headmasters aligned.

Many concepts like this have been mooted for the 40 years I have been around the school rugby programs but none have ever landed.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Dcarter - For years , GPS Rugby was in term 2 with TAS and AIS schools but GPS Rugby was forced to move to Term 3 to accomodate the popularity of Soccer( Football) as there were kids who wanted to play both, but could only play one, if they were both in Term 2. unsure if TAS etc could accomodate.

With Soccer and Rugby operating together, the Fields also took a hit and struggled to recover each week. That was my understanding of the move of Rugby to term 3.
there was also the problem of the QRRA being able to supply enough quality referees for the A matches etc.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen.

What is going on here? The only thing that should matter at the end of the day is that rugby wins and at the moment this constant bickering is taking that away. I would like to take the time to say people talk about the ball runs but always talk it up from the bench and that's just preposterous. Despite the scores on the weekend there was pieces of marvelous footy. I say we should just take a step back, have a beer and slap our wives on the bum. Over to you

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is the problem, you make a suggestion and everyone wants to disagree straight away. It may be an even competition, but the standard is poor, possibly the worst I have seen in a long time. As I stated 5 weeks ago the BBC game and GT game was deplorable. Since then my view has been justified with neither team winning a game.The sport is never going to get better if we keep doing the same thing. Saturday night the wallabies got pumped, and my long term view is for the betterment of the sport. Everyone gets defensive and can't have the tough conversations required. Then you get idiots who make the "default" comment about ATAR. Seriously!!! What I proposed was to change the landscape so as to make the competition better. If you dont agree with the relegation thing, then come up with a better scenario. But dont sit there and play devils advocate. I bet if relegation was on the cards then rugby programs would improve. And for the record try and be sensible. over to you.
Point 1 - I don't think you can base the quality of this season by only watching BBC and GT.
Point 2 - The GPS/AIC groupings are more than just rugby, so if you want to change 1 sport, you have to change all extra-circular activities. That ain't happening.
Point 3 - Schools aren't interested in caring about Australian rugby. It is just 1 of many activities they provide.
Point 4 - While RA and QRU can't control the school rugby pathway, they can control the club comps. Pump better resources into this pathway and you will see better results.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Let's go further. Traditional school season in Term 2.

Term 3 becomes a new State Relegation Comp among 1sts teams only.

Div One - Nudgee, BBC, TSS, Churchie, Terrace, IGS, TGS, BSHS
Div Two - Ashgrove, Downlands, St Lawries, BGS, St Pats, Iona, Padua, St Peters
Div Three - Sunny Coast Grammer, Somerset, St Eddies, Villa, Trinity, Rocky Grammar, All Saints, Canterbury College,
Div Four - ATC, JPC, Marist Emerald, Wavell SHS, MArsden SHS, St Pauls Anglican, Scots Warwick, St Columbans.
Div Five - St Johs Anglican, West Moreton, Ormiston, Pacific Pines, St BRendans Yeppoon, Mountain Creek SHS, Kings Christian College, AN Other.

Promotion Relegation, Winner goes up next year, Loser goes down,
Was that the old Metway cup?? How far did that reach?

GT v IGS
This game will give GT a good hit out, against a bigger heavier pack before "THE DERBY" against Nudgee. IGS have been playing some bold rugby on an ever increasing improvement curve and will be more than a handful at Tennyson. GT will be looking to come back refreshed and demonstrate the last few weeks should be erased from memory, and that they are a NEW TEAM on a comeback trail before the "Festival of Nudgee" .GT have suffered Indescribable humiliation , both Pre-trials and All season by Nudgee commentators in this forum, who have inter-mated that "GT IS A JOKE"with their Rugby XV this year. To be fair, GT have been the long suffering Ugly Cousin , finishing 2nd to Nudgee in all games in living memory ( maybe except one). Nudgee have dominated the clashes and you can feel that GT would give their EYE-TEETH to scrap a win against the Blue and Whites. So this weekend against IGS will be an important pre - lim for them to achieve their ultimate rugby fantasy - Beat Nudgee!!! ( So much Anger- but why?)

TGS V BBC

BBC are a young team with potential - but we have seen none of it yet. So disappointing against TSS that they helped muck up my tipping. I was with them. TGS gave it their all last weekend against the Classy Churchie team but sadly to no avail. Had luck gone their way, vs Nudgee , ACGS and TSS , TGS could have been outright premiers - but they are not so that point is probably a wasted line of typing.

NC V BSHS

This will be more interesting than it appears . BSHS might get overwhelmed but they should back themselves. They actually have the size and skill to torch Nudgee a few times for a try or two, but I fear the completion rate of the phases will let them down and then Nudgee will smell blood. Nudgee will look to anything to show they are not the ANTI CLIMAX team of the season and will be looking to a cricket score together but lets remember they were going to to that against BBC - is 24 V 12 a cricket score? Unimpressive.

BGS V TSS

TSS will be starting to believe they are a good side since last week and BGS will be starting to believe that maybe they are not? We need a reversal here, for BGS to show they actually do have some talent, and for TSS to resume their pre-BBC form of being a pretty ordinary outfit so we get to see the real THEM

Churchie in the meantime will put their feet up and relax - and I would imagine Downlands can too, since the mutual arrangement to not bother with each other each season. By the way, does anyone know if BGS plays Downlands or Sunshine Grammar when they have their Bye round?

Bulldozer

Frank Row (1)
There's no way that we will see a promotion/relegation model, it just can't work between years.
The better option would be a system similar to some of the NZ schoolboy systems where there are divisions based on a 'preseason', eg 1st Div would be most of your GPS schools, 2nd div might be the bottom GPS schools, top AIC, maybe even a quality GPS 2nd XV ect. Your 4th div might have TAS 1st XV plus AIC 2nd XV and GPS 3rd XV . There would be room for Downlands, Ambrose Traecy and other independent schools. Even non traditional schools like Marsden could have a place in a regular comp. So many more opportunities for kids who dont go to a top flight school to be exposed to rugby.
Imagine being a 4th XV GPS team and getting to play other 1st XV in a comp that matters to other schools.
Of course none of this will ever happen because that would require the schools across AIC, GPS and TAS to all agree, and god forbid adults put what is best for the kids and sport above their own biases.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Perhaps a better idea is to relegate those schools who do not achieve at least 10% of seniors gaining a 99.00 or better ATAR. That way, those who think that rugby is the most important thing in GPS can continue doing so.

Its a sporting association.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was that the old Metway cup?? How far did that reach?

probably a combo between that and the Ballymore Cup. It's all pie in the sky and the schools won't commit so its barely worth talking about. Just a concept I had been barely toying around with

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
probably a combo between that and the Ballymore Cup. It's all pie in the sky and the schools won't commit so its barely worth talking about. Just a concept I had been barely toying around with
Agreed. With preseason making the rugby season long enough, a lot of the kids are probably over it by seasons end.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
I read Nudgee didn't drop a game all day again this time v Grammar and the 14As put on 95 points.

Whilst I like to see my old school winning some games and the kids and parents enjoying the rugby days, it really concerns me that such a historically prestigious and impactful rugby school is dying a natural death in its rugby culture, along with most of the rest of the GPS. When you look at the Wallabies, it's a disaster and there doesn't seem to be much coming up at the other end. Thoughts?

Ear

Peter Burge (5)
I read Nudgee didn't drop a game all day again this time v Grammar and the 14As put on 95 points.

Whilst I like to see my old school winning some games and the kids and parents enjoying the rugby days, it really concerns me that such a historically prestigious and impactful rugby school is dying a natural death in its rugby culture, along with most of the rest of the GPS. When you look at the Wallabies, it's a disaster and there doesn't seem to be much coming up at the other end. Thoughts?
Grammar won a couple of games against Nudgee in the younger years.

Outsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
GT v IGS
This game will give GT a good hit out, against a bigger heavier pack before "THE DERBY" against Nudgee. IGS have been playing some bold rugby on an ever increasing improvement curve and will be more than a handful at Tennyson. GT will be looking to come back refreshed and demonstrate the last few weeks should be erased from memory, and that they are a NEW TEAM on a comeback trail before the "Festival of Nudgee" .GT have suffered Indescribable humiliation , both Pre-trials and All season by Nudgee commentators in this forum, who have inter-mated that "GT IS A JOKE"with their Rugby XV this year. To be fair, GT have been the long suffering Ugly Cousin , finishing 2nd to Nudgee in all games in living memory ( maybe except one). Nudgee have dominated the clashes and you can feel that GT would give their EYE-TEETH to scrap a win against the Blue and Whites. So this weekend against IGS will be an important pre - lim for them to achieve their ultimate rugby fantasy - Beat Nudgee!!! ( So much Anger- but why?)

TGS V BBC

BBC are a young team with potential - but we have seen none of it yet. So disappointing against TSS that they helped muck up my tipping. I was with them. TGS gave it their all last weekend against the Classy Churchie team but sadly to no avail. Had luck gone their way, vs Nudgee , ACGS and TSS , TGS could have been outright premiers - but they are not so that point is probably a wasted line of typing.

NC V BSHS

This will be more interesting than it appears . BSHS might get overwhelmed but they should back themselves. They actually have the size and skill to torch Nudgee a few times for a try or two, but I fear the completion rate of the phases will let them down and then Nudgee will smell blood. Nudgee will look to anything to show they are not the ANTI CLIMAX team of the season and will be looking to a cricket score together but lets remember they were going to to that against BBC - is 24 V 12 a cricket score? Unimpressive.

BGS V TSS

TSS will be starting to believe they are a good side since last week and BGS will be starting to believe that maybe they are not? We need a reversal here, for BGS to show they actually do have some talent, and for TSS to resume their pre-BBC form of being a pretty ordinary outfit so we get to see the real THEM

Churchie in the meantime will put their feet up and relax - and I would imagine Downlands can too, since the mutual arrangement to not bother with each other each season. By the way, does anyone know if BGS plays Downlands or Sunshine Grammar when they have their Bye round?
GT beat NC in 2016 at Tennyson in a side that featured Harry Wilson (Qld Reds), Josh Nasser (Qld Reds), Isaac Lucas (Ricoh Black Rams), Byron Ralston (Ex Force now Connacht) plus plenty of other boys who made that year a great year for the Red and Black. . Should have one the premiership but BSHS spoiled it by taking a last gasp win against TSS.