• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

League Legend

What happened at Bottomley yesterday? Are the tigers fading? Gps coming home strong and the filth kicking on. Should be an interesting run home to the finals.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
What a cracking effort from Brothers out at St Lucia!

As Reg reported Uni got off to a dominant start and it looked for all money like it was going to be a very long day for Brothers. To their credit they regrouped after the early Uni dominance, ground away and took their chances well. Uni did everything they could to win the game and had most of the territory in the second half but the Brothers defensive effort was superb.

Those Murphy brothers are brilliant at club level.Damon is super elusive and Dallan marshalls his team very well. He looks to have beefed up considerably, I wonder what happens to him next year without a Reds Academy? He would be a handy pickup for one of the other franchises if there is no room for him in Qld. Dom Shipperley was very good yesterday. Very dominant with ball in hand and made one superb run that led to the try of the match. Brothers forwards were tough and the front row shaded their more illustrious opponents. I thought their best though was the 8 Simon Price, who was in everything, and don't know who the 7 is but he was also immense. Huge effort from the filth.

Uni looked like they would take the game at some point but it didn't quite happen. McDuling was their standout forward and I thought Preocanin on the side of the scrum did a few good things. Lance was strong at 10 and Morahan had some dominant runs at 13. Gee he has put on some bulk,quite a big bloke. I couldn't quite work out why it took so long for Prior to get on but having said that, the starting half looked quite snappy. Giteau was solid when he came on. Had some nice touches, threw one pearler of a pass, but it must have been difficult to try to gel with players you have never played with before.

There was a big crowd at the game and the Wallaby squad was in attendance. Lots of excited kids getting balls and shirts autographed.

Very good game of rugby and both these teams will feature heavily at the business end of the season.

I obviously didn't get out to Bottomley, but that result is disappointing. The huge injury toll may well be starting to take effect at Easts, which is a great pity given the start they had. Not all doom and gloom just yet but it is hard to see them going all the way with Brandon, Toua and Quirk out for the season.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
...Wallaby Watch:

...- Giteau took a while to get into the game after coming on with 30 to go. Showed some glimpses of class and did nothing wrong (other than a harshly called forward pass). Didn't really threaten to cut lose though.
....Shipperley played better than him I reckon.

Respectfully RR, I was right in line with that (short) Gits pass, and I have little doubt it was forward. Uni was close to scoring too if it had been allowed. I have to admit it was quite surreal seeing Gits there in Uni colours.

Yeah, agree re Shipperley. He's high class in the making. Beautiful, weaving long run escaping multiple defenders down the sideline to set up a crucial Brothers try.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
East v Norths was a very poor game from what I've heard, Easts struggled without their usual 10 and struggled to make any progress against Norths who just did the basics well without being spectacular. The North forward pack out-muscled Easts all over the park, set-pieces from Easts were shocking and the forwards just struggled to make any impact whatsoever. The person I spoke to about this said he was very impressed by a red headed prop named Birmingham who came on as a sub, apparently he usually plays colts but yesterday he played well above his weight and was impressive. Neither team would come close to beating any other side with their performances.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Easts have nearly lost an entire team due to injuries ( not every position but same positions have lost top 3 players). A lot are season ending injuries and lots of forwards. Sounds wonderful all these Reds players back on the field for clubs, but if there is any serious want to square up a more competitive challenge team wise, then what about these players being 'distributed' throughout all clubs. Would bring more Juniors into the fold as well as young lads. Gets a bit 'same ole same ole' when there are mainly only three/four clubs that benefit from the experienced Reds palyers. One or two go to the 'lower' five and many go to the 'top 3' and that does not include Easts. Would also cut down on the dislodgement of players who kicked off the season and have done the hard yards to then be benched for the end of the season!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Shipperley made davies look ordinary. The filth backs had some real speed, very entertaining at times.

Props to the uni bbq workers, best burger I've had in a long time.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Was at the Easts vs Norths game unfourtunatly. The Tigers injury toll is really starting to show, breakdown was poor, defensive structure and line-speed was horrible and without Matt Brandon, there was no attacking direction whatsoever. To make matters worse, Chris Mansell, Toby White and David Skelton all limped off with injuries.

Only positives for Easts would come from Bermingham, who had a great game for a still very young tighthead, and Dom Fuller who has easily been Easts best all year.

With the current injury toll, I can see Easts limping into the semi's at best.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
I would usually write a run down of the gps game that I watched yesterday but it would be a disservice to what I saw yesterday.
From yesterday's game I can safely state that the Mighty Sunnybank Dragons got absolutely, unequivocally Radike'd.
Case closed.
Shut the gate.
He was a freak.
This might (I think it is actually) be a bad case of a man crush but he killed them (obviously with some help from the others).
Forget Can Do Campbell or that other MP (Moana Pasifika) who's name currently escapes me...Ashgrove is his town!!! Haha ;-)

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Not surprised that Michael Bermingham played well. He's been in the NTS program since 2008, and played in the BGS 1st XV in 2009-10. He made Australia 'A' last year and was rewarded with a Reds Academy contract this year. One for the future IMO.

rookie

Bob McCowan (2)
In response to tranquility, Shep was very good in the set piece and had some big dominant tackles. He's probably not you're modern ball running prop, but he gives uni a dominant scrum platform and an attacking weapon from five metres out. The only team that really matches the uq front row (Davies, Hanson and Shep) is the Bank with Annae et al.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if Gits, not selected for the Wallabies, will be a Red Heavying it again v the Bank this weekend?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I wonder if Gits, not selected for the Wallabies, will be a Red Heavying it again v the Bank this weekend?

If he does it'd be awesome if he could make it to a training session this time- would probably help him learn the names of players & the moves. He said on twitter he had fun even without either of those though. Again, I'll be waiting for confirmation on Thursday.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'll be honest, why does Uni need to entertain Wallaby ring ins? If anything they disturb the dynamic of arguably the best side in the comp.

If all they want is match fitness and involvement then they should join one of the struggling teams...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
R. Murphy from Easts has been contracted to the Brumbies in 2012 while Nigel Ah-Wong from Sunnybank is about to go on the Rebels end of season tour.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Yes- very sharp. I think that some members of that tight 5 will have something to prove too.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
R. Murphy from Easts has been contracted to the Brumbies in 2012 while Nigel Ah-Wong from Sunnybank is about to go on the Rebels end of season tour.

It is rumoured that Ruan Smith from GPS has been invited to the Force end of season tour

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Great talent spotting by both franchises. Murphy has been a standout at Easts, and Ah Wong caught the eye when Sunnybank recently bulldozered the Tigers.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
SMH website does indeed now state that Nathan Sharpe will be playing 80 minutes for the Red Heavies this weekend.

I wonder how many Wallabies in their 15 this weekend?

W

What2040

also allegedly No. 8 from the Gold Coast , Jay (not sure of surname) gets a trial on eoyt

Status
Not open for further replies.