• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Went down to Crosby Park yesterday to watch a very entertaining game between Brothers and Easts. 35 -28 in the end to the Tigers who had to come from behind to do it. Again, it was another great team effort, with Matty Brandon pulling the strings. Also thought Dom Fuller at 9. had a cracking game. Damon Murphy at fullback for Brothers was a real handful for the Easts defence and burned them a couple of times with out and out pace.

Puts Easts out by two wins at the top of the ladder.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
This may win me very few friends...but I was out at the gps - norths game and quite frankly the standard of the game was poor despite what the final score showed. Simply, norths are out of their depth and lacked any real imagination in attack or defence. Their captain - gavidi was heroic. How he doesn't go home in a full body bandage after a game is beyond me given all the work he does around the park...the score would have been close to a hundred were it not for him. Seriously. Not to be overly critical but I think the effort offered up by norths was summed up by the effort of their props - I watched them both with interest given the wraps on them and noticed that they seemed allergic to rucks and mauls, preferring to run out wide at wingers and centres without much effectiveness.
This may show my lack of knowledge of back line play but their backs were hideous. I kid you not for every set piece move their wingers and centres were about 20 - 30 meters behind the gain line. On some occasions even more. I am aware of the practicality and sense of playing deep but come on...
Is it perhaps time to promote a team like Logan while norths get their stuff together?
I am aware that they have an excellent junior club and finally a good colts program but why is this success not filtering to the grades?
Kudos and respect to Chris Roche etc for the work they have done to lift that club but most if not all their grades team beaten by 30+ yesterday provided me with no optimism for how that club can be turned around.
GPS shouldn't kid themselves about yesterdays effort - even though a win is a win - theyll have to work a bit better to challenge the heavyweights come the end of the season...
Sidenote - it was good to see gps prem colts (Jake milne & phil kite) get a run in the premier grade game too.
Would love to hear any feedback from those who.were also there too...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It is interesting to note that Wests have secured funding ($150K) for a full-time Development Officer for the next 3 years. I wonder what effect it will have on their rugby program and the recruitment of talent. It will also be interesting to see who gets the role.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Spectator - thanks for the report mate. Although this thread is very quiet I keep a close eye on it and appreciate the news

S

Saders07

It is interesting to note that Wests have secured funding ($150K) for a full-time Development Officer for the next 3 years. I wonder what effect it will have on their rugby program and the recruitment of talent. It will also be interesting to see who gets the role.

If this is the real deal then obviously great news for Wests. I hope/wish other struggling clubs are able to secure similar funding for the overall benefit of the game.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
If this is the real deal then obviously great news for Wests. I hope/wish other struggling clubs are able to secure similar funding for the overall benefit of the game.

When you say other struggling clubs, do you mean everyone except Sunnybank? haha

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Red Tape Busters, a grant writing service, had an article about it in their latest newsletter so I would assume that it is the real deal.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
When you say other struggling clubs, do you mean everyone except Sunnybank? haha

I find it interesting that Sunnybank gets singled out when other clubs make significant spends on players that could be directed into development.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I find it interesting that Sunnybank gets singled out when other clubs make significant spends on players that could be directed into development.

I always thought Sunnybank was a wealthy club in comparison to others who generally struggle.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
My point is that if some of the other clubs invested their money into improving their club and implementing sound financial practices then they wouldn't be "struggling" as much as they are. I think that paying players isn't the wisest investment for the long term viability of a rugby club.

S

Saders07

My point is that if some of the other clubs invested their money into improving their club and implementing sound financial practices then they wouldn't be "struggling" as much as they are. I think that paying players isn't the wisest investment for the long term viability of a rugby club.

Completely agree Jets - player development and sound admin is where the funds should go. Unfortunately fiscal responsibility (or irresponsibility) is often geared around the aim of success on the field at the expense of the other components of a club. Although is saying that not all clubs are blessed with access to reliable revenue streams...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Completely agree Jets - player development and sound admin is where the funds should go. Unfortunately fiscal responsibility (or irresponsibility) is often geared around the aim of success on the field at the expense of the other components of a club. Although is saying that not all clubs are blessed with access to reliable revenue streams...

And this is the issue. Clubs need to look at implementing at strategy for long term financial viability. They also need to realize that winning a premiership does not provide a financial windfall. You are better off securing the long term financial survival of the club as this will attract more support. Once this is done then targeting players can become the focus. The other thing to take into account is that players will move clubs for opportunity so if you can provide quality coaching then players will want to come to the club.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Cheers Tranq and Tiger. The guys have really eceeded my expectations this year, but I guess that's what they've been doing since 2008. I didn't know what to expect with James Charalambous retired and guys like Ritchie and Brabham not on the paddock, but the forwards have gone from strength to strength. Bertini coming back has added a lot to the pack as has Sincock's(sp) return. Couple of really good props and Stolberg, the young second rower is one to watch, big and tall, and very effective in the lineout. Quirk coming back from 20's will only bolster the pack but young Sam Gorey has been a very capable replacement.

In the backs Matt Brandon is obviously the key but everyone does their part. They will obviously miss the attacking skills of Aidan Toua, but last week showed they are still capable of putting on enough bonus points against good sides. The two young wingers are going a treat, Skelton and White are an underrated centre combo and its good to see Fuller the halfback playing so much footy. Best thing about Easts is that everyone called upon is really showing up, and that was evident last week when guys who had been playing thirds were called upon, and they still got the bikkies over Brothers.

Would love to see some reports from other club supporters on the forum, so thanks Ikaletahi for your effort...by the way agree with you about Norths struggling but seriously would prefer they turned it around rather than being rissoled from the comp.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Tigers have lost 6 players, I believe, this season ( in how many games). Latest injuries are the hooker - broken leg and Stolberg - shoulder, so gone for the rest of the season.

S

Saders07

Skelton and White are an underrated centre combo

Toby White by some distance is the form centre of the competition. Speed, size, timing, competent decision making and quality defence - he has all the needed outside centre attributes and is applying them. A couple of excellent long range tries to boot...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Gutted I have only managed to watch a handful of Easts games this year, but from what I have seen, I am constantly questioning why Matt Brandon and Aiden Toua aren't on fulltime super rugby contracts.

On Michael Stollberg, he has really stepped up this year, he had gonr through a bad patch of injuries prior. Toby White is also a very underrated player, good defensively and constantly breaks the line. Tigers look the goods this year.

This week Sunnybank at Bottomley for ladies day, should be a cracker

L

League Legend

Toby White has outplayed every other centre in the comp this year by a country mile. He will only get better and gets plenty of opportunities outside fuller and brandon.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Stolberg played an entire year in the Colts in 2010. I believe he didn't miss a minute of any game. Apparently he still had another year in colts this year .

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Would other club supporters please let us know what is going on at your joints...I'm starting to feel guilty that we Tigers supporters are hogging things!

I would love to know who everyone thinks is:

1. Top 5 players in the club
2. Players who S15 sides should take a look at but aren't on contracts yet.

I'll start on point 2...Toby White the Easts 13. Why?...Oz rugby is screaming for quality 13's. Toby knows how to play that position and is a big human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.