• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So many Tigers on this thread haha.

On Stollberg I should of said he spent most of his schoolboy days injured, good to see him come through the colts ranks to get an Academy spot.

For spectator, my easts top 5 would be
1- Aiden Toua
2- Matt Brandon
3-Ed Quirk
4-Toby White
5- Luke Bertini

Those top 4 should ( or are) be looked at by super rugby franchises

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Sunnybank dominated Easts this afternoon, injury toll showing for the Tigers with Quirk,Toua,Stollberg,Bertini and many others injured, Matt Brandon went off with what looked like a serious injury.

Easts best player was Dom Fuller and Sunnybanks was either Leroy Houstan or their 12 ( Rex Tapuai I think)

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sunnybank certainly showed up with a win in mind. They were relentless. I thought their big forwards might slow down as they tired but it just didn't happen. Easts made more mistakes in this game than they have made all year. All credit to Sunnybank. 47-10 is a walloping and it's obvious teams are now going to bring their "A" game when they play Easts.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Sunnybank definitely owned Easts today. 47 - 10 is a thrashing by anyone's standards. Houston and Anae were an absolute handful in open play and made good tackle busting yards all day. The forwards had all the momentum and played all over the Easts pack, allowing their backline to do some real damage with the good ball they were getting. 12 and 13 for the Bank (was it Tapuai and Setu?) were a real handful all day.

Not taking anything away from Sunnybank, but as T12 suggests the growing injury toll for Easts might be starting to tell. Three or four new forwards from the lower grades today, and I think the only forwards in the pack who started the season were the two props. Not that they didn't try, they were just outplayed. The backs had no real opportunity but the likes of Skelton and White did manage some decent runs and Fuller tried hard all day. Things got a bit messy when Brandon went off.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I was out there at easts today. Have a couple of mates in both camps. More so the Tigers. Very disappointing! Sunnybank were way too good. Totally dominated in the forwards, Leroy Houston was a powerhouse. From an unbiased point of view, Easts are in trouble. Toua and Quirk will not be back, and the truth of the matter is that the Bank overan them in the forwards. The Sunnybank backs were smart enough to capitalise on the opportunities and the game was out of Easts grasp from the 20 minute mark. Has anyone had a good look at David Skelton? He is the best of the Tigers IMO.

Matt

Frank Row (1)
The Bank FINALLY played to their potential, first game this season this has happened..... 2nd round will be interesting!

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Gps v souths
Standard of the game was ok...I think gps could be blamed of being a bit complacent because souths kept fighting right until the end.
Gps 9 + 10 were somewhat average. It appeared to me that he was more conerned about throwing the 'showtime' long ball rather than controlling the tempo of the game. How someone like Curtis Franks (easts premiership wining halfback) doesn't get run is beyond me. And the last of my negatives...if Pat Smith is the best 10 gps have than that'll do me...they've got some playmakers there at Yoku rd but seem reluctant to give em a crack. Satui and Davui were dangerous when they were involved with Davui scoring a ripper of try. Jono Ellis was again strong for the gallopers.
In terms of souths...wow. what has happened to them? I understand a lot of boys went to canberra but jeez some of the boys who played prems really were not of standard. E.g I watched the reserve grade game and observed their back 3 ... If someone from souths can argue that the back 3 (11,14,15) are better than the ones who.played.reserve grade ill put myself under a truck...to justify my point. Their winger #14 was "in and away-ed" by JP Smith - come on man!!!!
In terms of the game itself, souths always looked a level below gps but gps' reluctance to play to a game plan or structure played right into the magpies hands souths definitely missed the presence of their regular prop Denny but were lifted by the presence of Beau Robinson. Deadset, he absolutlely KILLED Ben Coridas in one of the biggest tackles I have ever seen. Coridas struggled after the hit and looked concussed after being hit. So much for looking out for each other.
End scoreline was pretty comfortable but like last week I am very very unconvinced by Gps claims to be a premiership contender. I.can't put.my finger.on it but something about their team vibe and body language doesn't seem right. Rightly so, they are probably happy with their efforts so far but the real test comes in round 2 when everyone gets their rep contigent back.
This might be somehat premature but with the way the souths prem colts were yesterday let's hope they can recruit more astutely so that they once again be a force in the comp.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Fair to say a big reason Franks wouldn't be starting is because Nick Frisby is a Reds Academy player.

Also bloodred, do you know how bad Quirks injury is? Didn't look season ending

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Tigerland12 - fair enough I guess but it seems a mighty waste to not use that experience esp given he is.playing so well for reserve grade. I'm sure many at easties would not remember Curtis too fondly because of his perceived arrogance but he is still a good player...

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
The Bank FINALLY played to their potential, first game this season this has happened..... 2nd round will be interesting!

Good to see, and hopefully they keep it up; the past coupld of years their form has dipped right off at the wrong end of the season. Disappointed I couldn't make it to Easts last weekend but I'll definitely be heading out to the 'bank a few more times this year.

Should be getting a few handy players back in the coming weeks too (at least not for two more weeks I hope!) with messrs Holmes, Wallace-Harrison, Schatz, Gill and Tapuai to come back from Reds duties and Matt Lucas and Hofmeyr back from U20s. I assume Ben Lucas will be a while away yet, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that neither Simmons nor Digby will turn out for Sunnybank this year...

Mind you they had a hell of a lot of those guys turn out a few weeks ago and still got rolled by Jeeps; so the remaining rounds aren't all beer and skittles.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Don't be surprised if a few of those Sunnybank names mentioned above make it to the Wallabies train on squad for the World Cup. Apparently a squad of 40 is to be chosen, so if QLD Reds continue their excellent form in the Super 15 finals I expect some of those blokes will make the squad.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Don't be surprised if a few of those Sunnybank names mentioned above make it to the Wallabies train on squad for the World Cup. Apparently a squad of 40 is to be chosen, so if QLD Reds continue their excellent form in the Super 15 finals I expect some of those blokes will make the squad.

Mmmm maybe if Deans wants some bolters, Shatz and Holmes maybe. Along with Digby and Simmons of course.

L

League Legend

Sunnybank definitely proved themselves to be a contender on saturday out at Bottomly. No need for their professional stars to rush back in a hurry as they seemed to have it all over easts all over the field. A very ordinary day for the tigers indeed, who were clearly missing their captain Luke Bertini. The battle was lost in the forwards early on and just continued to get worse. Full credit to Sunnybank. The run home will be a big test on the clubs depth and ability to cover key losses. The week off will hopefully do the team some good. Still, 8 from 9 is a very good start the season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Definatly, Sunnybank were outstanding all over the park. I hope injuries don't start to cripple the Tigers as it did last year. Quirk and Bertini need to be ready to play soon.

Also do we have many non-Easts members here? Wouldn't mind hearing about Uni, Norths, Brothers ect

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Very disappointed that there was no write up about the game on the QRU homepage.
The young cadet journo must have had a day off.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Easts have lost at least half of their players since the start of the season. 3 hookers for starters. Sunnybank played very well but lets face it, Easts struggled without so many of their players. What I found, and I don't like saying this, the Brisbnae Prem rugby need a better class of referring. What I've seen in the last couple of years has been pretty poor. Talk about money in clubs but it also needs to be spent on getting the refing up to standard.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
With the Super 15 finishing in a fortnight, a good number of the Reds will be returning to the premier Comp, so the second half of the season is going to be very interesting. Of the contenders, Easts will be least affected, with only Quirk coming back from 20's but I believe he may be injured. They will do well to make the four despite leading at halfway, because of injuries. Brothers will have Chambers and Shipperley, so the backline will be stronger, but Uni and Sunnybank are going to be fielding some pretty starstudded lineups.

Happy to be corrected but from what I know Uni get back Hansen and Sheperdson in the forwards, and Lance, Prior, Morahan, Davies and Harris in the backs. Also Kuridrani back from the Under 20's. That is almost a complete backline. Sunnybank will get the Lucas brothers and Ben Tapuai in the backs and Greg Holmes and Jake Schatz in the forwards.

I've left off players that I think will be in the wider Wallaby squad but on paper you would have to be mad to back against a Uni/Sunnybank GF.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Uni could also get Morahan (Simon) from 20s, Herman Porter from Samoa (unless selected for Samoa in WC)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just saw the City team for the City v Country clash and have to say that I am stoked to see a few of the selections. From an Easts perspective t's great to see Bertini and White in the run on side, and Skelton and Fell on the bench. Fell must be pinching himself. He started the year as the 3rd best hooker at Easts, and now finds himself in a rep team..fantastic!

Well done to Tela from Sunnybank on making the bench as there are a lot of good outside backs running around, and kudos also to Lolotonga for obviously impressing in a team that has been well beaten in most games this year.

I'm a little surprised that neither of the Easts props got the nod but the two reserve props picked are young so it may be about development. JP Smith over his brother Ruan is also a surprise. On the whole though selectors look to have gone with form. Thumbs up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.