• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I think I read that Robinson played for a Sydney club on the weekend. Not sure how that works given his Reds ties?

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I retired on a high after my epic Colts 3 championship in 2004, but it looks like the boys need me once more.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think I read that Robinson played for a Sydney club on the weekend. Not sure how that works given his Reds ties?

he started the season on an Academy contract only getting the full time contract once the season started and played the required number of games. Next year he will play in Briso.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
You could be right Ika, I wasn't aware of the Western Force connection for Murphy. I guess my point was that all of the guys I mentioned were playing Brisbane Premiers without being part of an Academy setup and gained recognition purely from their form in the competition. Although I guess Dallan Murphy was in the Reds Academy and did feature on the bench for the Reds. I hope the rumour that he has a rookie contract next year is true, he's a very handy player.

I could be wrong but from memory his connection to east was via Richard Graham and Andrew Scotney (Force Academy Coach?) - former Easts legends plying their trade out west...Regardless of this, he is a bloody good player...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Angus Cottrell (Wests), Dom Fuller (Easts), Ruan Smith (GPS) and Jay Halevu (Gold Coast) have all been selected in the Force's touring squad. Good to see these players getting recognized by franchises.

The line-ups and previews are on the QRU website with the match of the round easily Filth vs Sunnybank. I'll be down at Bottomley to see Easts vs GPS. Hopefully the backline fires a bit better with Krelle and White back.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Couple of good games today. Easts vs GPS should be an absorbing game at Bottomley. Wasn't much in it when these sides met in round 1 and good to see a couple of blokes back for Easts.

Game of the round for mine is at Crosby Park where Brothers take on Sunnybank. The Bank will be desperate for a win to keep final four hopes alive. Saw the team list in the paper this morning and with the likes of Gill, Schatz, Wallace-Harrison and Anae in the pack, and the Tapuai and Lucas brothers in the backline you would think they are a big chance.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Couple of good games today. Easts vs GPS should be an absorbing game at Bottomley. Wasn't much in it when these sides met in round 1 and good to see a couple of blokes back for Easts.

Game of the round for mine is at Crosby Park where Brothers take on Sunnybank. The Bank will be desperate for a win to keep final four hopes alive. Saw the team list in the paper this morning and with the likes of Gill, Schatz, Wallace-Harrison and Anae in the pack, and the Tapuai and Lucas brothers in the backline you would think they are a big chance.

On the money with GPS v Easts... absorbing and exciting near the end but I felt it didn't really reach great heights. Dom Fuller was very good again for Easts and it would have been good to see him go head to head against young Frisby for GPS had he not been out. Ruan Smith was red carded for an attempted knee which was a soft miss but had intent, still I believe it really only deserved a yellow card not red. Smith's send off turned the game with the Easts scrum suddenly being able to put pressure on the GPS scrum and it was after a number of scrums that Easts eventually prevailed. Easts were however disallowed a try late in the game, ruled held up (a defininite try as I was right in the corner) a poor ref decision but it was one of many.

rudy

Frank Row (1)
Souths pipped Wests after the siren with a penalty kick at Sylvan Rd. Some the of the Wests players weren't too happy with the penalty decision.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Looks like Sunnybank had a convincing win over Brothers. Anyone have a match report please? I'm curious to know what difference the Reds contingent made to the Bank performance.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I had to work today but my mate told he heard that Uni had a large win over Sunny Coast. Apparently Uni were too good right across the park. He was at Brothers where he says Sunnybank smashed the Filth, especially in the 2nd half. Sunnybank got rolling just before half time and their forwards were too strong. Final score 35-15. His best were Wallace-Harrison and Shatz in the forwards for Bank and Coady and Price for Brothers. He reckons the Bank halves (Lucas and the 10 (he couldn't remember his name) were all over Grasso and Murphy and the outside backs then had an easier ride with Setu and Taps going well. It is getting interesting

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Brothers 15 v Sunnybank 33
Easts 28 v GPS 23
Norths 27 v Rugby Gold Coast 7
Stingrays 15 v University of Queensland 47
Wests 27 v Souths 29

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
I had to work today but my mate told he heard that Uni had a large win over Sunny Coast. Apparently Uni were too good right across the park. He was at Brothers where he says Sunnybank smashed the Filth, especially in the 2nd half. Sunnybank got rolling just before half time and their forwards were too strong. Final score 35-15. His best were Wallace-Harrison and Shatz in the forwards for Bank and Coady and Price for Brothers. He reckons the Bank halves (Lucas and the 10 (he couldn't remember his name) were all over Grasso and Murphy and the outside backs then had an easier ride with Setu and Taps going well. It is getting interesting

The 10 for the bank is Shalom Sunila, just returned from trialling for the RWC USA Eagles squad. He played 7's for the USA team. (Un)fortunately he missed selection.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Uni had a convincing win at the Sunny Coast. There was class shown across the park, although to give the Coast team credit, they scored a couple of pretty sharp tries, particularly towards the end of the first half. The Uni second half was much better, with Dave McDuling providing a bit more toughness and aggression at the breakdown. The lineout looks to be gelling better now.

It looked like the Stingrays really missed the composure and edge that Shon Simonek brings to the team. I've been told that Caleb Ralph was playing for the Rays this week, but to be honest, I didn't get a chance to watch much of the game between blood, missing contacts, ice distribution, more blood etc etc. Just one of those days. Sorry I can't give a better match report.

As an aside, I heard a number of comments from our very young side, and the Premier Colts side, about how much they got out of having Sharpe playing last week. The difference he made on the field last week was noticeable, but it was nothing compared to the difference he made off the field- it's safe to say that he has some new fans in the club. From his attitude at training, to the professionalism and commitment he brought to the game, to his involvement (fully paid by the way- he didn't expect free entry!!) at the Halley Appleby memorial ball that night (and the kick-on), he is a champion and I know he has become a role model throughout the club. I can only speak from my personal experience with Stephen Moore and Nathan Sharpe coming back for a game here and there, but I can only hope that the Wallabies who are playing for their clubs each weekend are like these two guys. They play as hard for their club as they do for their country, they contribute like good club men (even helping fill the water container and prepare bags of ice), sign autographs and have photos taken with kids long after the field has been packed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.