• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
In the past 4 seasons I have had facial cuts requiring stitches at Easts (midweek night game), Sunnybank, Logan and GPS. GPS was the only ground to have a Doctor, who did a pretty good job stitching my cheek, (probs my second best heeled facial scar). After the Sunnybank incident when I had to wait 6 hours at the public hospital to get 7 stitches, I decided to fork out the $300 for 4 stitches at the private hospital when i was cut above the eye this year.

Whilst I admit there are some pretty scary and more important reasons why a doctor is needed at our footy games, the most common reason is for cuts.

Every club should be doing everything they can to have a doctor at their grounds for at least a couple hours before and during prem grade. And should start with their community network of old boys, parents and locals and also working with the visitor teams. This is easier said then done. But it should defs be on every clubs boards agenda, every meeting. (be interesting to here from a board member on this forum?)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
B) At School Rugby. The fathers are unable to drink whilst they watch their son & so when their son progresses to Premier grade club rugby they are busy hanging out with mates drinking

Doctors are accustomed to being on call and are more than willing to forgo a beer for half a day while watching the rugby. It's not that big of a call for them to hold back until 5:00pm to have one (I would dare say they wouldn't be having a drink until 3:00PM onwards).

Give them a comfy seat, a couple of decent meals during the day and I'm willing to wager they'll happily do a rotation during the season to be the Doc. Hell, if we just need them to do some sutures call in a vet and anything more call the Ambos to take them to the hospital.

After the Sunnybank incident when I had to wait 6 hours at the public hospital to get 7 stitches, I decided to fork out the $300 for 4 stitches at the private hospital when i was cut above the eye this year.

I'm guessing you play for Easts? From my perspective of playing for Wests in the past, we were required to have private health care in addition to paying for our insurance costs. I'm also under the impression you can claim that $300 back from the club as it's part of the whole reason why we pay insurance?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Was down at Crosby Park yesterday and can remember thinking at the time that the head injury to Sheperdson looked pretty severe. Agree with all about having the right medical staff in attendance at games.

As to the game, it was played in conditions that got worse as the match progressed, so understandably there were a number of handling errors from both sides. I thought the Uni forward pack were probably a touch better on the day but Brothers made the more telling backline plays. Damon Murphy scored twice and really is a star at this level.

The game also featured one of the biggest hits of the season with the Brothers 22 (don't know his name) absolutely smashing the Uni 12, another player who I haven't seen but who impressed me with the directness of his play.

Brothers do deserve their spot at the top of the table.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'm guessing you play for Easts? From my perspective of playing for Wests in the past, we were required to have private health care in addition to paying for our insurance costs. I'm also under the impression you can claim that $300 back from the club as it's part of the whole reason why we pay insurance?

No private health didn't cover it, which I found strange. I think it was because it was emergency ward, not surgery or hospital etc.

Neither did my footy insurance. Because it was only a few stitches . It would be like claiming physio on your footy insurance, it's only for serious injuries.

I was just telling a story of my experiences, not really complaining about the named clubs not having doctors as I found it was more of a convenience and cost saver for guys like me who think they can tackle like Faingia. But how it is a little scary that if a freak accident does happen, particularly in a non prem grade game, that their isn't someone qualified enough to handle the situation.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
How did all the 4th Grade and QSRU fare with the new scrum replacement rules on the weekend which makes a team play a player short if they start with non-contested drums but then have a front rower injured?
I think it is good for grades who have someone playing before them but the effect on the weekend I saw was to scare teams who only had the bare 3 to start the game to consider going non-contested before the game so as to maintain the right to replace and maintain 15 players.

mouthguard

Frank Row (1)
Was down at Crosby Park yesterday and can remember thinking at the time that the head injury to Sheperdson looked pretty severe. Agree with all about having the right medical staff in attendance at games.

As to the game, it was played in conditions that got worse as the match progressed, so understandably there were a number of handling errors from both sides. I thought the Uni forward pack were probably a touch better on the day but Brothers made the more telling backline plays. Damon Murphy scored twice and really is a star at this level.

The game also featured one of the biggest hits of the season with the Brothers 22 (don't know his name) absolutely smashing the Uni 12, another player who I haven't seen but who impressed me with the directness of his play.

Brothers do deserve their spot at the top of the table.

The Uni Nbr 12 is Teti Tela. Nbr 10 for Ipswich Grammar in 2008 GPS 1st XV comp, and played for Queensland schools at various grade levels also member of the Brisbane Merit side in the 2009 U19 city country clash, has been playing his rugby fpr Sunnybank with elder brother Semiti but recently switched to Uni -- a thinking player with a great pass. Injury kept him on the sideline for much of the last season but at Uni will be a player to watch

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Uni Nbr 12 is Teti Tela. Nbr 10 for Ipswich Grammar in 2008 GPS 1st XV comp, and played for Queensland schools at various grade levels also member of the Brisbane Merit side in the 2009 U19 city country clash, has been playing his rugby fpr Sunnybank with elder brother Semiti but recently switched to Uni -- a thinking player with a great pass. Injury kept him on the sideline for much of the last season but at Uni will be a player to watch
Played Fiji U20's and was a Sunnybank Junior. Played Premier 10 at Sunnybank straight from school and has had a few injuries and had been in and out of the Premier squad due to them and rep commitments over the last couple of years.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Injuries seem to be hitting Easts really hard again this year (7 or 8 more injuries in the backs and i will get a run). 2 years ago they used something like 36 players in prem grade.

It would be interesting to see injury lists from each club along with team lists (similar to the AFL, short term/long term/ indefinite)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Played Fiji U20's and was a Sunnybank Junior. Played Premier 10 at Sunnybank straight from school and has had a few injuries and had been in and out of the Premier squad due to them and rep commitments over the last couple of years.
Probably should have recognised it was Teti Tela, but the program had another name listed. he looks to have put on some beef.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
How did Quirk go for Easts against Norths, anybody watch the game?
I wasn't at the game but a mate of mine said, and I quote, "he killed people". So i take it he had a good game.

In regards to injuries people who are injured/unavailable include:
Jack Kimmince, Pettowa Parraka (u20), UJ Seuteni (u20's), Jarrad Buttler (wasnt named last week?), Luke Bertini, Josh Parry, Michael Bermingham, Toby White, Sean Cox, Joel Faulkner, Aidan Toua and Jordie Tupou (7's?)

That is alot of quality sitting in the stands, but no excuses, we still have good talent coming through. My only concern is the new props who look nowhere near Premier level, which is a shame because we had a very dominant scrum with Big Red and Pettowa playing.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Bermo out for a week or two longer - maybe; Butler broken finger - couple of weeks; Sean Cox out for the season; Joel - still rehabing shoulder; Toua - thought he would be back, the rest I am not sure how long.
Quirk did well - needed the run to get game fitness going.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I really want to know when Jordie Tupou is coming back? Mowen and Parry have been doing well but Tupou has that x-factor about him.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Simon Morahan to come back for University off the bench this week. Good to see as he has been out with injuries for a long time now.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Simon's been playing reserve grade at Uni for the last few weeks. From what I have seen he has been solid, without setting the world on fire. He's an interesting character though as the high level he is playing the better he seems to go. I am still unsure of what position he is best suited for and I think that is part of the issue. He can play 10-15 and does so. He would be better served just playing one position and settling into it in my view.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
PAE is starting for Sunnybank this week after making his comeback in the Melbourne comp a couple of weeks ago. Also good to see Jake Shatz keen for a run too. Not many other Reds playing club rugby during this break.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I thought players like Beau Robinson, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Greg Holmes, James Hanson, Rod Davies and Ben Daley would all be playing club. Maybe Link said not to because of the Hurricanes match at the Sunny Coast. But then again Shatz, Quirk, Davis and Murphy are all playing, and they would be in that side aswell.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think a few of them are carrying niggles that rule them out of Club games. They need to be fresh for the last few games.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yer i was surprised more Reds players weren't playing this week. it's a shame but might as well use the break to get back to 100% if you have a small injury. Will they use these 3 weeks as like a mini pre-season in terms of stregnth and conditioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.