• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
tigerland1 - the 2 east tigers clubs i was referring too is the QCup rugby league and then your own club at David Wilson field.. I doubt there would be any copyright infringement because even though i mentioned it in reference to souiths logan i did end my post mentioning the similarities in the Tigers franchises... Plus grassroots sporting organizations dont have the money to enter into costly court cases.

Jets - that's true about Premier clubs utilizing Prem Colts as opposed to 7 reserve grade bench players. my club Wests is yet to blood a Colt on the big stage, but would be nice to see it happen... As for the Wests v Logan Saints game being a blowout in reserve grade, that game probably wasnt a level playing field. Wests fielded 2 Premier grade outside backs in that team returning from holidays & the Saints were missing one of their best players in James Sua that day. It should be a more even contest in Round 2 where Wests has to send a premier grade bench up the Sunnycoast on 28th July.

T

TOCC

TOCC, while like I said I not to worried about not being in Prems, but thought I should point out one thing again, Sunnybank is in Brisbane, Logan are apart from Beenleigh (who we tradionally have had a great relationship with) the only club in Logan city, I would imagine for Unions sake it would be great to have a Prem club from the city. I would love to see Ipswich come through and be able to have a prem team at sometime to, as I think League gets a free run out there without a higher profile union club.
I do know Souths made some tentative queries about moving to Logan a few years ago, as they also know there plenty of players down this way for a prem club to tap into.

I have nothing against Logan, however the balance of the Premier Grade competition needs to be rationalized before we consider adding two new teams.

I just believe that the Premier Grade comp and Logan are 5-10 years away from been added without draining the resources or lowering the standard of the completion and the club.

T

TOCC

I would love to see Souths move to Logan, I'm a old Souths boy myself but the economic climate and the demographics have left Souths struggling..

I can't see Souths having a great future if they remain located where they are.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Now that you mention it I did notice that Sua was out for that game. He makes a big difference for them with the work he does on the field and seems to have a settling effect on the other players.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont understand why a club would have to drop out for logan to join?

They could have a bye week and the comp could just start earlier like it use to.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Would also be great for the game if the QRU could capitalise on the lack of senior rugby league team in toowoomba at the moment. Not a realistic prospect at the moment unfortunately, but a darling downs team in the premier rugby fielding a single team like the GC and SC do would be great to see.

T

TOCC

I dont understand why a club would have to drop out for logan to join?

They could have a bye week and the comp could just start earlier like it use to.

Have you seen the score lines and lopsided premier grade table?
There is already a lack of top players to keep the existing teams competitive without the addition of another.
The player market is relatively fluid, you are going to put more demand on already stretched resources.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Now that you mention it I did notice that Sua was out for that game. He makes a big difference for them with the work he does on the field and seems to have a settling effect on the other players.
If you talking about Wests/Logan game Jets, we actually had 12-14 players out of Logans top 2 teams that day for a combination of reasons, can't remember all reasons but a combination of weddings (hell who gets married in rugby season) funeral and injuries. Just one of those days, but thats what happens.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Is anyone still planning to head out to their respective clubs this weekend despite the Wallabies being on?

I'll still probably go down to Easts and see them take on University which should be a cracker. Hopefully we get a few of our injured back for it.
Yep Tigerland, I will still be watching club saturday, though surprised the test is on when clubs are playing.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really think Easts are looking good this year. I reckon they have a strong chance of making the Premier Grade Final. Does anyone else agree with me? And, I know it’s away in the pipeline, but who is your pick for the final?

Mine are Brothers vs. Easts/Jeeps/Uni/Sunnybank. I don’t mean to sound biased, but I believe that the Filth are always strong in the finals.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I really think Easts are looking good this year. I reckon they have a strong chance of making the Premier Grade Final. Does anyone else agree with me? And, I know it’s away in the pipeline, but who is your pick for the final?

Mine are Brothers vs. Easts/Jeeps/Uni/Sunnybank. I don’t mean to sound biased, but I believe that the Filth are always strong in the finals.
Filth Rugby, great to finally see a Brothers poster on the forums. That being said I can't ever recall hearing a Brothers fan compliment Easts before :p

With Easts though, I'm suprised and proud of how well we are going given the injuries to key players we have (no excuses). Having White, Cox, Tupou and Enever back this week is a massive boost. Should be a cracker down at Bottomely.

In regards to the finals, I believe Brothers are the competition frontrunners by a decent margin, and I suspect they will make the final. Who out of GPS, University and Easts makes it aswell is another question. Big suprise for me this year though is how average Sunnybank have been, they are falling behind the top 4, next few weeks are crucial for their season.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah mate; I’m reckon Wests will go far, but sadly not far enough. Awesome rugby thus far, Uni will go well towards the end of the season. Looking forward to some running rugby by the Catholics versing the Sunny-coast on the weekend.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I would love to see Souths move to Logan, I'm a old Souths boy myself but the economic climate and the demographics have left Souths struggling..

But then you'd alienate people such as myself who would no longer have a premier club to support. Fucked if I'm going to go to Logan to watch games & my only other options of supporting Easts or Sunnybank just aint gonna happen, I'd rather be rogered by a pineapple! If that happens there'd be no third tier for me.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Filth Rugby, great to finally see a Brothers poster on the forums. That being said I can't ever recall hearing a Brothers fan compliment Easts before :p

With Easts though, I'm suprised and proud of how well we are going given the injuries to key players we have (no excuses). Having White, Cox, Tupou and Enever back this week is a massive boost. Should be a cracker down at Bottomely.

In regards to the finals, I believe Brothers are the competition frontrunners by a decent margin, and I suspect they will make the final. Who out of GPS, University and Easts makes it aswell is another question. Big suprise for me this year though is how average Sunnybank have been, they are falling behind the top 4, next few weeks are crucial for their season.
With only 6 guys in the team that were regulars last season there has been a lot of change at the 'bank. They are starting to find some form, as shown by the win over Brothers, but you are right the next few weeks will be crucial. The good thing at the moment is that they control their own destiny, they will be in trouble when they start to rely on other results to get them into the 4.
You also have to remember that last year the Dragon's only snuck into the top 4 after beating your Tigers in the last round but from there they went on to win the comp. Depending on results of some Super teams and how quickly some guys return from injury the Dragon's could potentially get quite a few players back. Add to that a couple of guys in the U20's.
Albert Anae has been training this week and is just waiting to get a clearance from the doctor before he can return to the field.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
But then you'd alienate people such as myself who would no longer have a premier club to support. Fucked if I'm going to go to Logan to watch games & my only other options of supporting Easts or Sunnybank just aint gonna happen, I'd rather be rogered by a pineapple! If that happens there'd be no third tier for me.
And this is the issue you have to weigh up when thinking about clubs relocating. While I believe it's in the best interest of the comp for some clubs to move it needs to be something that is decided from within the club otherwise it won't work.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)

Most clubs are doing it tough. As for the demographics, we've no shortage of players, with all grades plus 3 Colts teams playing this year. And a particularly strong Souths Juniors.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So what's the problem guys. It seems to me that the product is good enough. It's dirt cheap to go to a game so it can't be the price. Is it the promotion? Why are so many clubs struggling?

Status
Not open for further replies.