• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Outstanding win to Easts against Uni today. Uni led 29-3 at oranges and Easts played a barnstorming 2nd half to win 39-29. Magnificent 2nd half from a fired-up Tigers team!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Quite a few upsets today. Easts came from 29-3 down to win 39-29 (something like that). Wests 27 beat GPS20.
Sunnybank smoked Gold Coast 73-6.
Souths 41-Norths17

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone know the Logan v Brothers scores?
They are missing from the results along with Bothers v Sun Coast Colts
Premier
Wests 27 (M Lee S Fagese A Walters tries B Lainchbury 2 pens 3 cons) d GPS 20 (J Lalagavesi J Rasolea T Winkley tries P Smith pen con)
Sunnybank 73 (P Less 3 tries H Taefu 2 tries N Ah Wong D Tusitala D Tuamata A Gavegan R Tapuai E Lainge tries D Tuamata 9 cons) d Rugby Gold Coast 6 (C Matehaere 2 pens)
Easts 39 (J Tuapou M Brandon C Mansell D Skelton T White tries M Brandon 2 pens 4 cons d University of Queensland 29 (K Davies J Ambrosini S O'Leary W Tuffley tries W Tuffley pen 3 cons)
Souths 41 d Norths 17
Brothers 38 d Sunshine Coast Rugby Union 5

Premier Colts
University of Queensland 22 (H Parker 2 tries N Malouf try D Damen pen 2 cons) d Easts 14 (T Walker H Hawker tries J Klasson 2 cons)
GPS 57 d Wests 15
Sunnybank 35 d Rugby Gold Coast 14
Souths 43 d Norths 5

Brisbane 1st Grade
GPS 31 d Wests 26
University of Queensland 28 d Easts 5
Sunnybank 67 d Redlands 5
Souths 28 d Norths 14

Brisbane 2nd Grade
University of Queensland 9 (J Taylor 3 pens) d Easts 5 (T Cavanagh try)
GPS 27 d Wests 12
Sunnybank 45 d Redlands 15
Souths 25 d Norths 14

Brisbane 3rd Grade
University of Queensland 26 d Easts 16
Wests 27 d GPS 25
Souths 43 d Norths 7

Brisbane 4th Grade
GPS 70 d Wests 0
University of Queensland 17 d Easts 5

Brisbane Colts 1
University of Queensland 22 d Easts 10
GPS 66 d Wests 0
Norths 29 d Souths 12

Brisbane Colts 2
University of Queensland 59 d Easts 11
Norths 15 d Souths 14

Brisbane Women
Redlands 15 d Sunnybank 5

T

TOCC

I find the performance of both the Sunshine and Gold coast concerning... Both seemed impacted by financial pressure and also their inability to retain Reds/National Squad players in their squads..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Brothers beat Logan in 2nd and 3rd grade. First grade Logan won 28-3. Was a bloody good game, personally thought Logan boys played bloody well. Brothers didn't play badly by any means, just Logan did it well, thought Logans player of day was toss up between Tim Griffiths at 7or James Sua 8. As can see by score defence patterns seemed to work well too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By the way Penguin, it not really that frightening in Logan watching games, especially compared to Annerly;), but take my word for it, we don't want you to come down anyway with that attitude:p. Don't even know where Souths would ever get to set up in Logan anyway, or where your club would get money to try and set up elsewhere, our new set up cost 4.5 mill, so really I think you pretty safe, your club won't be relocating.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Look forward to the match writeup T12. I hear it was a cracker of a comeback. That should mean second on the ladder. Not bad given injuries this year. Next week against Brothers should be a cracker!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts vs University Round 9
Bottomely Park

Strange but pleasent conditions greated a healthy crowd for Round 9's match of the round between two of the form heavy weights of the competition this year. Leading into the Premier game, University were looking for a clean sweep of the Tigers, given they had won all games that day. The size of the crowd watching, given the Wallabies game, was quite impressive, showing the support for Easts this season.

After an outstanding gritty performance against GPS the week prior, Easts looked completely lethargic in the opening exchanges, whilst University were playing as if they were continuing their domination of the Sunshine Coast in the last round. Dominant ball running and physical exchanges, exemplified by playmakers Ambrosini and Thompson running the show, the Heavies backline ran riot outwide with O'Leary and Tuffley going over in the corner.

Lead by Red Kevin Davis, the University forward back simply out muscled the Tigers who were clearly missing the services of Ed Quirk and Jarrad Buttler in the backrow. Despite a Matt Brandon penalty, Uni set up camp in the Easts half and seemed to put the game to bed by the halftime whistle with further tries to Ambrosini and Davis.

One can only imagine the mouthful coach Pat Richards gave his side at halftime, as the Tigers switched into gear straight from the re-start. In a complete role reversal, Easts asserted dominance in the pack with 7's star Jordie Tupou and Michael Stollberg belting rucks and the University ball runners. After maintained pressure just outside the University 22, Easts quickly put the foot down with Matt Brandon sparking two tries with an oustanding try to wing Mansell quickly followed by a charged down score of his own. Maintained pressure from Brandon's boot kept University on the back foot as they seemed to begin to struggle in the physical exchanges.

After more pressure in the University half, Tigers regular stand out David Skelton gassed his way around the University left flank to set up Toby White to score Easts third try, which sparked the crowd who began to realise a win was suddenly on the cards.

But it was Easts bonus point try that was seemingly the game breaker, with livewire Tupou breaking two tackles and producing a side step that would of made Shane Williams jelous to scoot around fullback Tuffley to score under the posts, sending the crowd into a rapture.

Despite the massive turnaround the Red Heavies were not finished yet, as they sustained 10 minutes of pressure on the Easts goal line, coming inches short on numerous occassions as the Easts tight forwards made crucial tackles. The final nail in the coffin however came from a typically freakish Chris Mansell break, as he stepped and gassed his way around the vunerable University left flank to chip and allow David Skelton to re-gather after a lucky bounce and a lethargic chase from Tuffley to score in the corner.

In one of the best 40minutes of football I have seen from Easts in the past years, they turned around a 29-3 halftime scoreline to overcome the defiant University side and put on 36 unanswered points. David Skelton was rewarded with a man of the match award for his highly involved performance, with Jordan Tupou and Chris Mansell other standouts.

As we come to the half way point in the season, Easts have put their hand up as genuine title contenders with two resounding victories over fellow challengers in the past two rounds, and now face rivals Brothers at Crosby Park in what is sure to be a brutal encounter. University on the other hand were not bad in the second half as the scoreline may incinuate. They definatly have the goods to win the competition, but seem to lack any real x-factor from their outside backs.

One final note on the game was the support for both sides at Bottomely Park. I was personally expecting a watered down crowd due to the scheduling of the Wallabies game, but with the beer garden, stands and clubhouse quite full it showed the support for the Premier competition this season. This was exemplified by a majority of Easts supporters staying 10minutes after the final whistle to give the side a large ovation as they exited the pitch.

3rdTier Rugby, SUPPORT IT.

Easts 39 (J Tuapou M Brandon C Mansell D Skelton T White tries M Brandon 2 pens 4 cons) d University of Queensland 29 (K Davies J Ambrosini S O'Leary W Tuffley tries W Tuffley pen 3 cons)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
That is something else that hasn't been spoken about, Wests are playing some fucking good footy and getting results, they are building a good side there. Bridging the gap.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Does this mean Brothers and Easts are playing for the Welsby Cup next week?

Also, looks like Sunnybank have found their mojo, winning by 70 odd points.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS seem to be really missing an impact from Samo in the last few weeks. After watching a few games in which he played I thought his workrate was down a bit and he seemed a little lazy but maybe that was just me expecting more from a current/former Red and Wallaby. On paper GPS backline was the best they have put out all season as nearly all the 'stars' from the 7's circuit had come back and a few guys back from injury. The game was lost up front and if not for Mogi Wei having another blinder it could have ended up much worse.

Congrats to Wests who are obviously building a great team and as said earlier have been flying a bit under the radar so far this year. The club culture is really good down there and they pretty much split the days results with GPS so they have some depth.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
According to southernx in the tipping comp thread. Wears success can be attributed to versing teams easts have beat up the week before

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
By the way Penguin, it not really that frightening in Logan watching games, especially compared to Annerly;), but take my word for it, we don't want you to come down anyway with that attitude:p. Don't even know where Souths would ever get to set up in Logan anyway, or where your club would get money to try and set up elsewhere, our new set up cost 4.5 mill, so really I think you pretty safe, your club won't be relocating.

Sorry Dan, I didn't mean it in an offensive way,(though some parts of Logan can be pretty scary!) :eek: I just wouldn't have the inclination to travel that far to watch, I only go to home games generally as I can walk there to watch.... other than an occasional game at Ballymore over the past couple of seasons. That & it's been my club since starting there as a junior in the late 70's, if they folded I wouldn't feel an affiliation with any other club. It's just the way it is I guess.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
That is something else that hasn't been spoken about, Wests are playing some fucking good footy and getting results, they are building a good side there. Bridging the gap.

I watched the Wests-Souths game the week before & I thought Wests were very ordinary in attack, had a strong forward pack & really great defense. The defense is what won them that game & I wouldn't have picked the GPS result at all from the previous weeks performance.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Brisbane Rugby Competition » Premier Rugby

Brothers 38
Easts35
University of Queensland 32
GPS30
Sunnybank26
Wests21
Souths16
Norths12
Rugby Gold Coast10
Sunshine Coast Rugby Union 0

Mic Atkinson

Frank Row (1)
Halfway mark in the season and it seems some of the earlier comments suggesting Easts to be favourites could be on the money. they have a strong side across the park and have shown they can compete with (and beat) fellow premiership contenders in Uni and GPS.
let's not forget that they led the competition at the same point last season, yet they failed to make the finals.
this weekend's clash with Brothers at Crosby will be massive and (weather permitting) should be more entertaining than their round 1 match up.
I may even leave my beloved Yoku Rd to go and watch the battle for the Welsby Cup between the Tigers and the Filth.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
What more could you want: Welsby Cup, Brothers Ladies Day, top of the table, traditionally large crowd, the two highest performing sides and not to mention the intense rivalry.

Knowing my luck I just jinxed it and itll be raining and turn into a 6-3 scrap fest!

Status
Not open for further replies.