• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Not one brothers forward in the starting side for the City team. Could they just be over achieving this year? With Brandon and Dallan Murphy injured it seems a pretty accurate team in the backs. I wouldn't have a clue about the forward pack, but think they picked the right 2 Easts forwards.

Also surprised to see such a strong GC and SC representation despite their poor form this season. Surely their are some mungrel forwards from Townsville or Toowoomba. Or maybe even a rough diamond from Logan or the Ipswich Rangers? It would spark my interest to see this.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Agreed ECA. Obviously Buttler and Enever aren't available unless they'd be sure selections.

In regards to the lack of Brothers in the pack, I'm also suprised. I haven't seen Nguamo, but I would have had Andrew Coady at hooker hands down. Freney and Price have been playing well also.

What's this Norths 8 like?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/7089/Default.aspx

Best Queensland Rugby talent to be showcased in annual City v Country encounter

imageResize.ashx
No caption provided​
Queensland Rugby’s annual City v Country grudge match will carry even more significance in 2012 with the encounter to be played as the curtain raiser to the St.George Queensland Reds and Waratahs FxPro Super Rugby clash at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night (kickoff 5:15pm).
The match pits Queensland’s best Country talent against its City counterparts while providing a further representative pathway for players to experience a higher level of Rugby.
The City v Country concept has a long and historic tradition and in 2011 it was Country who reigned supreme as they demonstrated their improving stature in State rugby circles by defeating their much vaunted City opponents in a hard fought 27-26 affair.
Country will be aiming to replicate that result on Saturday night after naming a strong 23-man squad that is dominated by Rugby Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast Rugby Union talent, along with representatives from Central and Northern Queensland.
Central Queensland backrower Jono Bradbury will captain the side while Tom Rosewarne continues as Queensland Country coach.
“It was a bit of an ambush last year and I don’t think the City boys thought we had a chance,” Rosewarne said.
“That will give us a lot of confidence heading into this game but we are under no illusions to the challenge and strength of City. They’ve chosen an extremely talented line-up and we’ll need to be on our ‘A’ game if we want to win.”
City has chosen the best talent on offer from the Queensland Premier Rugby competition with 2011 finalists Sunnybank and Brothers having the highest representation with five players each.
Ensure you get to Suncorp Stadium early from 5:15pm to see the next generation of Rugby talent before enjoying the St.George Queensland Reds and Waratahs battle from 7:30pm.
Tickets can be purchased through Ticketek - http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=REDS2112.
2012 City v Country Teams – Saturday 14 July 5:15pm at Suncorp Stadium.
Country

City
SC
Tom Kearney
Pettowa Paraka
Easts
SC
Ben Church
Maile Nguamo
Sunnybank
SC
Hayden Hirsimaki
Jean-Pierre Smith
GPS
GC
Mike Macdonald
Adam Preocanin
UQ
GC
Rubin Fuimaono
Michael Stolberg
Easts
CQ
Jono Bradbury (C)
Curtis Browning
UQ
GC
Dan Collins/John Norton
Matthew Blain
GPS
GC
Matt Peel
Carlos Gavidi
Norths
GC
Vitori Buatava
David Campbell
Brothers
GC
Cayden Matehaere
Dion Taumata
Sunnybank
GC
Tim Hindmarsh
Shane Seiuli
Sunnybank
GC
Fabian Snaith
Brett Gillespie
Wests
SC
Louis Fesolai
Toby White
Easts
GC
Karl Manning
Dylan Taikato-Simpson
Brothers
GC
Dan Nethery
Damon Murphy
Brothers
GC
Hadyn Callahan/Josh Cooper
Lyall Fidow
UQ
GC
Haden Makiri
Kirwan Sanday
Brothers
SC
James Turvey
Seth Faagase
Wests
GC
Dan Collins/John Norton
Nigel Ah-Wong
Sunnybank
SC
Kurt Ludecke
Luke Beauchamp
Brothers
GC
Tom Williams
Scott Malolua
GPS
GC
Liam McGeachey
Simon Morahan
UQ
NQ
Ernest Suavai
Rex Tapuai
Sunnybank

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Pissed off that more Brothers players didn’t get in.:mad: It seems that everyone in the QRU hates us so much that they go out of their way to pick other players, regardless of the fact we are currently first. Matt Dews, Simon Price, Andrew Coady, Charlie Freney, Nate Gendle, should have had a go in my mind.

Tigerland, he won the Alec Evans Medal (Player of the Year) last year for Norths. There is a highlights reel of him on YouTube, if you want to have a Captain Cook at that.

W

What2040

Pissed off that more Brothers players didn’t get in.:mad: It seems that everyone in the QRU hates us so much that they go out of their way to pick other players, regardless of the fact we are currently first. Matt Dews, Simon Price, Andrew Coady, Charlie Freney, Nate Gendle, should have had a go in my mind.

Tigerland, he won the Alec Evans Medal (Player of the Year) last year for Norths. There is a highlights reel of him on YouTube, if you want to have a Captain Cook at that.

Mate its not just people in the QRU that hate the Filth - its everyone else in the world

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
How was the side selected? Was it a nominations process where clubs sent in nominations, or is it a merit-based thing where the best club players got the call-up? Who were the selectors?

I'm sure I could find out the answers to these questions if I fossicked, but isn't this the beauty of forums? :)

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that the Dogs are really Brothers bogey team in the competition. Every year they seem to come close to winning, and on Saturday they did just that. So well done Wests! That being said, I’ve heard somewhere that the Doggies younger grades (Colts 1 & 2) are getting belted each week? SouthernX is this the case? The reason I ask is because a good mate of mine (funnily enough is a Wests old boy) says that Uni are poaching Wests players? I’m seriously not suggesting that the Red Heavies are cheats and whatnot, I’m just simple wondering? I greatly admire how well the Heavies have done in the past few years with the younger grades and of course the Prems. Even though I’m Filth through and through, I hope Wests make it into the finals this year. Mooney is doing great to get the chocolates against teams like us, Jeeps and Sunnybank.

Filth
Well done Wests for sure. Their defence for the second half was incredible. Brothers bombed their cbances. Damon Murphy isn't Brothers saviour in such times and needs to stop pretending to be. Twice he had to draw and pass and the 11 would gave scored. Twice he took it to the line himself and was wrapped up. I admire the 11s patience but gee, Wests just clung on to Brothers poor decision making. Good to see some fighting spirit left in the dog.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well done Wests for sure. Their defence for the second half was incredible. Brothers bombed their cbances. Damon Murphy isn't Brothers saviour in such times and needs to stop pretending to be. Twice he had to draw and pass and the 11 would gave scored. Twice he took it to the line himself and was wrapped up. I admire the 11s patience but gee, Wests just clung on to Brothers poor decision making. Good to see some fighting spirit left in the dog.

The Game I watched against Easts, Brothers bombed three tries close to the line. Once is the first half, twice in the second. Just basic overlaps, two I think set up by non-other than Simon Price. Now, he is playing good footy. Anyone got any news out from Chipsy Wood? Just wondering as Souths in my mind pose a threat to some teams in higher positions! Prem rugby is awesome this year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ohh? How could I forget? No joke, Brothers is the most hated club in the world.
Geez Filth, lucky you told me that, I have no probs at all with 'the filth' , I can assure you in my world (and rugby club) they are not particularly unliked!! Always tended to think that if I wasn't with Logan I would be at Easts or Brothers.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mate, you're not lying! Been brilliant this year, no longer the top/bottom 5 split between sides.
To be honest i think the standard as a whole has dropped, it is not that souths and other clubs are stepping back up to the mark but more that the talent pool in Brisbane has been drained to super 15 academys and over seas contracts over the last few years and the dominant clubs are now coming back to the pack.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
To be honest i think the standard as a whole has dropped, it is not that souths and other clubs are stepping back up to the mark but more that the talent pool in Brisbane has been drained to super 15 academys and over seas contracts over the last few years and the dominant clubs are now coming back to the pack.

I dunno if the standard has gone down, I look at Easts, our team seems stronger then last year, but the opposition hasn't allowed us to play perfect rugby like we did in the first round of last year.

I do however wonder if the weather has played its part this year? Seems to be more wet weekends then sunny.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ohh? How could I forget? No joke, Brothers is the most hated club in the world.

The reason we hate you is because of your success... Take it as a compliment.

Got a lot of time for Brothers Rugby.. A handful of grubs & flamboyant types don't do you any favours out on the football ground (but every club has those types)

But honestly when was the last time Brothers used their Reds representatives as an exucse? (Oh will be better when so&so comes back from the Reds) Brothers has been the best rugby team in premier grade for the last 5-6 years & i can rattle off their limited rep players on 1 hand in that space of time (Cordingly, Hardman, Croft, Chambers & Shipperley) .. Ok 6th finger Dllan Murphy (but he was a reds academy member until all our injuries this year correct?)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

Mate i think your on crack the standard has gone right up look at the talent comign back fromt he national academy and sevens programs turn to uni or geeps just to see.

@filthrugby i think you will find wests the problem with the wests colts is they have no onafide feeder school the last two years as university have ingrained themselves at BBC diverting the BBC contingent away form the usual wests home ground but i think that will vastly improve over the next two years. As i recognise a few brothers of wests players running aroudn the schoolboy representative traps

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
I dunno if the standard has gone down, I look at Easts, our team seems stronger then last year, but the opposition hasn't allowed us to play perfect rugby like we did in the first round of last year.

I do however wonder if the weather has played its part this year? Seems to be more wet weekends then sunny.
Yeah the only reason i say it has dropped is because in previous years clubs would generally have 1 or 2 if any kids that still qualify for colts in thier premier side, premier grades were full of older more experienced players. this year it seams the competition is teaming with kids around 19 or 20 (pretty much all the QLD based national academy are under 20 years old) a lot of the older stalwarts have moved on all in a short space of time for example players like Loyd Campbell Mcbride, Gareth Clouston, James Turner, Paul Kahoe, Ernest Skelton, Sean Graham, Ant Sauer, Paul Donnely, Nathan Ross and all those 100 gamers that make premier grade so tough. Im not saying the young blokes arent talented because they definately are, i just think in previous years they would have had to work harder to make the grade.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Club rugby would be alot stronger if players were able to have as long careers in amateur footy as they can in professional football. But with family and work commitments, not being able to dedicate your life to your body it makes it very hard to play Rugby in your late 20 and early 30s at the highest level with your highest commitment.

But Just because there is alot of younger players doesn't mean they are just as good or better. Being young often means your still in good shape from from school. and Life's excesses haven't gotten to you yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.