• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There is no doubt that the Premier comp has changed a lot in terms of the age of players. It is more the exception than the rule to have players over 23 years old in teams these days and if they are there they are the older statesmen. In saying that though some of the talent that is floating around is quite incredible. One of the good things about the comp is the number of players being unearthed who have come from outside the traditional pathways and have developed in clubland.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah the only reason i say it has dropped is because in previous years clubs would generally have 1 or 2 if any kids that still qualify for colts in thier premier side, premier grades were full of older more experienced players. this year it seams the competition is teaming with kids around 19 or 20 (pretty much all the QLD based national academy are under 20 years old) a lot of the older stalwarts have moved on all in a short space of time for example players like Loyd Campbell Mcbride, Gareth Clouston, James Turner, Paul Kahoe, Ernest Skelton, Sean Graham, Ant Sauer, Paul Donnely, Nathan Ross and all those 100 gamers that make premier grade so tough. Im not saying the young blokes arent talented because they definately are, i just think in previous years they would have had to work harder to make the grade.

Well whats the point of having a bunch of 25 year olds in the academy when thats the median age for the reds squad and the fact is that a 25 year a 23 to 25 year old cant afford to be training 5 times a week when they are at the age where there real careers are starting to take off.
Also Ernest Skelton still plays he has just come home to the doggies and is on the bench for their prems

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well whats the point of having a bunch of 25 year olds in the academy when thats the median age for the reds squad and the fact is that a 25 year a 23 to 25 year old cant afford to be training 5 times a week when they are at the age where there real careers are starting to take off.
Also Ernest Skelton still plays he has just come home to the doggies and is on the bench for their prems
You missed the point, i wasnt saying the average age of the academy is too young, Its always been a pathway for young players and thats the way it should stay, my point was in previous years not all the academy blokes played premier rugby because Premier rugby was a lot tougher with a much older group of players involved, most academy boys finished their two years in colts and worked into premier after that. The age of premier grade players has dropped massively and you dont see too many of those older 100 cap players sticking around anymore, they all seem to go oversees or retire early instead of playing into their late 20's early 30's like they used to.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
You missed the point, i wasnt saying the average age of the academy is too young, Its always been a pathway for young players and thats the way it should stay, my point was in previous years not all the academy blokes played premier rugby because Premier rugby was a lot tougher with a much older group of players involved, most academy boys finished their two years in colts and worked into premier after that. The age of premier grade players has dropped massively and you dont see too many of those older 100 cap players sticking around anymore, they all seem to go oversees or retire early instead of playing into their late 20's early 30's like they used to.

I think your talking a bit out of your arse i can name at least 5 premier players above 26 who are near stand outs and academy players havent always been colts i remember a stage where they where teaming with players above colts age

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think your talking a bit out of your arse i can name at least 5 premier players above 26 who are near stand outs and academy players havent always been colts i remember a stage where they where teaming with players above colts age
I'm happy to be wrong, who are your 5 100 game premier players that are still playing?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm happy to be wrong, who are your 5 100 game premier players that are still playing?
Why is this an issue to you? The quality of football has improved, and most of us on here would agree with that.

And I don't know about 100 gamers but there are plenty of older guys running around (ie: Greg Riley, Kruikelis, Brandon, Price ect)

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
So do I have to change my opinion so I can be the same as 'most people'? It's not an issue to me I was simply pointing it out, and voiceing an opinion, that's what these forums are for yeah?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

Peter Nelson Wests
Reuben Leilua Wests
Ernest Skelton Wests
Damon Murphy Brothers
Ed Langi Sunnybank
Dave Campbell Brothers
Are ones that i can with definitely confirm. And then:
Carlos Gavidi Norths
Ben Church Sunshine Coast
Nigel Ah Wong Sunnybank
Are ones that must be so close its doesnt even matter and i am naming these off the top of my head i am sure if i looked at a prem grade program I would see more

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think PlayedinHeaven makes a fair point. A lot has changed in Premier rugby over the last 10 years or so. Rugby is a young man's game these days and I think the comp is worse off for not having more old heads in the game. When I first played grade rugby there were a bunch of old guys who knew all the tricks in the book, this is especially evident in the front row. These days we have guys straight out of school playing Premier rugby and while I'm not saying they aren't talented, I think that they miss out on some "education" as a result of those older guys not being around to give it to them.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Pretty sure Ed Langi wouldn't be close to 100 Premier games but he did play in Canberra for a while, at both the Raiders and Tuggers, also has a test cap for Tonga from the 2003 RWC. He's 37 so I will concede that he falls into old man territory.
Nigel Ah Wong has just passed 50 caps for Sunnybank, has only been out of colts for 3 years.
James Kriukelis would be close to 130 and is the most capped Sunnybank player. Rex Tapui has also been around a while and is 28.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Simon Price - Brothers?

Im only figuring he has played 100 games for Brothers in Premier grade. He seems to have been around forever.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I heard whispers from someone in the know that they're contemplating raising the Colts age to under 20's.

This would be in line with the representative teams we send away every year to participate in the U20 championship & also will be in line with the Rugby Leagues equivilent Toyota Cup.

Dont know how this plays out with the quality of Premier grade rugby... But Colts games i think will be more interesting to watch as a U20 player might start to blossom and dominate over his U18 counterpart.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I heard whispers from someone in the know that they're contemplating raising the Colts age to under 20's.

This would be in line with the representative teams we send away every year to participate in the U20 championship & also will be in line with the Rugby Leagues equivilent Toyota Cup.

Dont know how this plays out with the quality of Premier grade rugby. But Colts games i think will be more interesting to watch as a U20 player might start to blossom and dominate over his U18 counterpart.

The best part of this is they wont have to play the under 19 rules ie no crutch binding or lifting on the legs. Should also make the transition into grade a bit easier. I am pretty sure it used to be under 20’s back in the day does anyone know why it changed back then?

The change will have to happen in a few years when the school leavers age raises to 18 anyway.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Pretty sure Ed Langi wouldn't be close to 100 Premier games but he did play in Canberra for a while, at both the Raiders and Tuggers, also has a test cap for Tonga from the 2003 RWC. He's 37 so I will concede that he falls into old man territory.
Nigel Ah Wong has just passed 50 caps for Sunnybank, has only been out of colts for 3 years.
James Kriukelis would be close to 130 and is the most capped Sunnybank player. Rex Tapui has also been around a while and is 28.

100 prem games is not easy to get to. Heath Tessmann played at Uni for 10 years (colts included) and is only on 80 odd.

Uni’s fullback Will Tuffley is closing on 100 this season. Think he is up to about 95 or 96

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
There are alot of guys who don't move from Colts to opens because they think they are too small. But I think this is a cop out from them. I think once you are 20 you are usually big enough and good enough to mix it with the rest. But perhaps there is an opportunity to start an under 20s or under 21/22s comp maybe through the suburban clubs. As a social competition. I think league also has an under 22s comp. i don't think this is necessary for a club like Easts, who have a pretty social 4th grade side and usually a Friday night team as well.

In terms of making it align more with the U20s RWC I don't think this is necceasry as rightly or wrongly, players are funneled into that team from a pretty early stage and if your not in there at 19 (excluding injury) your normally not in there at 20. I also think the points made just before by some of you about players being schooled by older men is also good for the 19/20 year olds who are in the mix for the U20s RWC

in short keep Colts to U19s its worked for us so far. And if your good enough for Prems your old enough.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
100 prem games is not easy to get to. Heath Tessmann played at Uni for 10 years (colts included) and is only on 80 odd.

Uni’s fullback Will Tuffley is closing on 100 this season. Think he is up to about 95 or 96
Greg Riley has over a 100 for Easts, it takes a long bloody time.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)

L.Bertini, D.Skelton and M. Brandon at easts would be close. as well as G.Riley as previously mentioned.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

If Tess stopped getting suspended for Grand Finals he'd have played a few more games. ;)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Matt Dews from us have played 100+ Prem games.
Hey guys, I've got a question for you to ponder...what has been the best Prem Grand-final you have watched?
2009 easily for me. As we beat Souths with Quade, the twins, plus Van the Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.