• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hey guys, I'm looking to do a Beau Robinson. What team should I play for up there?

Hey Tom. Redlands is our number one club, the equivalent to Sydney Uni in that all the Reds players go their to play and dominate every other club. Head to the Alex Hills hotel on a weekday and you should be able to find the coach or club president propping up the bar.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Attn UQ Allumini.

Can I ask what the deal is with parking on training night? A bunch of Wests players were hit with $50 parking fines when the grades had make up games against the Heavies last night.

I'm just curious how the playing group park if your not an actual student & don't have one of those stupid colour coded stickers as to where your allowed to park?

In the likely event that there's mid week bad weather makeup games, It would be nice c in the future if UQ Rugby could give the courtesy & inform about parking issues to the visiting rugby club.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Attn UQ Allumini.

Can I ask what the deal is with parking on training night? A bunch of Wests players were hit with $50 parking fines when the grades had make up games against the Heavies last night.

I'm just curious how the playing group park if your not an actual student & don't have one of those stupid colour coded stickers as to where your allowed to park?

In the likely event that there's mid week bad weather makeup games, It would be nice c in the future if UQ Rugby could give the courtesy & inform about parking issues to the visiting rugby club.
The carpark in pretty well signed. It costs $3 to park for the entire day.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
But is the carpark only available to people with colour coded stickers?

brisbane club rugby subs are already expensive enough four to five hundred dollars.. Why would you wanna pay an extra $6 a week in parking to play there?

I was curious if Heavys players/staff get there parking reimbursed/discounted ect?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You can buy a carpark pass for the year. I can't recall the cost but pretty sure it was around $50. I think some of the coaching staff receive carparking passes but am not sure about the players.
Also a large number of players live on campus so they can walk to training. When I played there I rode my bike as I couldn't afford to pay for parking.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
But is the carpark only available to people with colour coded stickers?

brisbane club rugby subs are already expensive enough four to five hundred dollars.. Why would you wanna pay an extra $6 a week in parking to play there?

I was curious if Heavys players/staff get there parking reimbursed/discounted ect?

The UQ club has no control over the parking inspectors and if your blokes got done then so did all the Uni boys. Same as what would have happened if players parked illegally around Wests when one of them came around.

All you need to park there is the fore mentioned $3. There are special pass things that coaches and players can get and I think it costs about $50 for the season but none of the boys get them. Mainly because the last few seasons we haven’t seen the parking inspector around at all so the boys just run the gauntlet or park off campus. This season however they have come down about 3 times and is a real pain for everyone.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thanks for the feedback to answer my questions of curiousity.

$50 a season for parking seems like good value as opposed to $3 a day. It's been a long time since Ive parked out there on a school night. Use to play heaps of basketball on the outdoor court & never got a infringement. Have not been back since someone slam dunked the ring & the UQ sports hadnt got around to putting a ring on the backboard after 6 months.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Player retention is more difficult than recruitment. Most players of ability are looking to maximize their talent for a financial return, and for the most part this can only be done overseas as most players in Australia that are signed are already part of the Academy. The nature of the Academy now means that the clubs are pretty hands off so there is little you can offer or do for these players. They will tend to choose to play together at a club close to the inner city where they train and party.
Retaining players therefore becomes about the Rugby and social package you can put together for players who are happy to give club Rugby their best shot, while not dismissing the opportunity for higher honors, they are really getting on with their life by studying or learning a trade.
Uni have a natural advantage because the common binding purpose is study. The success of this study can also cut short careers.
GPS had a great club culture which is based on the village lifestyle of Ashgrove and the Gap which is landlocked by the surrounding western mountain range.
It is interesting that GPS have not fared any better by attracting outside players via the Academy or player managers and this may be because it does alter their culture.
Any player that is over the age of 23 who is still playing should be commended and recognized because they are very rare. Any club that has a number of them in Premier will be successful.
Unfortunately I think the situation will only get worse.
To remain strong a club must have good colts every year and they unfortunately also have to look outside of the Brisbane market to offer opportunities to players to plug holes where retention has failed.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
What is it about Brothers having former Western Force players in their reserve grade side? Is it that there premier team are that good or the Force recruiting is that poor. Scott Daruda and Ted Postal are running around and can't crack the top team. Postal debuted for the Force two years back. Big fall from grace

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
What is it about Brothers having former Western Force players in their reserve grade side? Is it that there premier team are that good or the Force recruiting is that poor. Scott Daruda and Ted Postal are running around and can't crack the top team. Postal debuted for the Force two years back. Big fall from grace
The best thing about brothers is that you have to earn your spot in Premier grade, unless you are a starting super 15 player who is required to play premier grade, you start in reserve grade and work your way up. evidenced by Brett Gillespie and Dom Shipperly (reds academy) in 2009 playing a whole year in reserve grade because of the outstanding consistency of Nathanuel Gendle (100 premier caps) and Paul Donnelly (100 premier caps). this system goes a long way for club morale, instills confidence in the boys who are in premier grade and puts a lot of pride in the premier jersey. Scotty Daruda didnt play prems this year because the club was aware he was sniffing for any contract somewhere else so their was no point in having him their for only a month when he isnt committed to staying. Ted Postale has been out with a knee problem and has returned into reserve grade to earn back a premier spot. he gets a chance this weekend through injury. i think its a system that a few other clubs could look at... as previously mentioned in this forum one of GPS main issues this year has been the disruption of the premier side through returning rep players and constant team changes from week to week, its definatley not a lack of talent but often just a mismangement of team selections in my opinion.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Daruda has since gone to Manly in sydney where he is playing 1st grade off the bench. Postal was never up to premier grade or super 15, he was pushed too quickly too soon and got found out. The year he played super rugby, he came back to Brothers where he was naturally playing premier grade. A super rugby player should be able to play premier grade shouldn't they??? He was found out very quickly and was subsequently dropped back to colts. Brothers very much make their players earn their spot and are loyal to players who hang around, they have never really had an abundance of academy/rep players, it has been a case of developing their own and retaining them.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
i think its a system that a few other clubs could look at. as previously mentioned in this forum one of GPS main issues this year has been the disruption of the premier side through returning rep players and constant team changes from week to week, its definatley not a lack of talent but often just a mismangement of team selections in my opinion.

I think its a great system that should be the rule for most clubs. I know GPS used to have that policy. I actually think it contributed to Will Genia leaving the club as when he finished in his debut Super Rugby season he wasn't going to be starting for Prems because the halfback Tom Sully (who was pretty bloody decent) had been with the team all year and deserved his spot for the finals which naturally frustrated little Willy.

The problem this year at GPS is that most of the rep players who have come to the club are a bi-product of having Brett Picone their player manager come down as premier grade assistant coach. It doesn't really instill a lot of confidence in a player if their own manager won't even play them in the premier grade side so it seems like the club has its hands tied in that situation.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I have a problem when coaches or clubs implement these rules. As every case is different and the time will come when this rule will be broken. This is often when the shit hits the fan.

Personally I think players returning, usually from injury but from other commitments like Reds or 7s, should come back into a team as a fresh reserve. This limits the impact on the whole club. Because if you bring them back into a lower team, it effects that lower team, and then possibly all the teams below them.

But as I type this rule I think of all the other possibilities such as if a player in the grade below is injured and he can just slot into his spot, or maybe he is a genuine superstar who will rip up prem grade, or he needs some quality game time before the wallabies tour or he was a regular in the team for the last season and so combinations, structure etc isn't an issue.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I have a problem when coaches or clubs implement these rules. As every case is different and the time will come when this rule will be broken. This is often when the shit hits the fan.

Personally I think players returning, usually from injury but from other commitments like Reds or 7s, should come back into a team as a fresh reserve. This limits the impact on the whole club. Because if you bring them back into a lower team, it effects that lower team, and then possibly all the teams below them.

But as I type this rule I think of all the other possibilities such as if a player in the grade below is injured and he can just slot into his spot, or maybe he is a genuine superstar who will rip up prem grade, or he needs some quality game time before the wallabies tour or he was a regular in the team for the last season and so combinations, structure etc isn't an issue.
Easts have been doing this in recent weeks with Parraka and UJ returning from u20's, coming off the bench just after halftime.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
We can all sit here & say what policy works best. But unless we are a coach & knows what makes players/teams tick then I guess its up for the individual head coach.

Comment by "PlayedInHeaven" eluding to how You gotta earn your stripes at Brothers before you get a crack in premier grade, that maybe true for the last 5-6 years (because i have said that The filth have been the best team over that time period)... But all great things must come to an end. When Brothers become a middle of the pack organizxation or dare i say a wooden spoon material. That rewarding loyalty to a player may well go
straight out the door & head coach will experiment with younger lineups/inexperienced players to hopefully save his job or build for next season.

As for GPS. If a team is going to fall out of the top 4, I believe it will be them. They might be stacked with academy players but I believe Uni & Sunnybank will be strengthened by Reds returning, I think Brothers have enough of a lead to scrape in (Even with a Easts 2011 business end of the regular season chokejob) & I think Easts will continue to be a team of consistancy. We still got 7 or 8 rounds to go. But like others have pointed out maybe the youth of the academy is hindering GPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.