• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Disappointed with Brothers loss to Norths they should have been on top the whole game but blew it.

Looks like the Wests game all over again for the filth. The referee didn't help though today. Can't believe he is seen as a potential future Super rugby referee. Three in the bin at once from Norths? Surely a team can't be that bad at Premier level?? Poor management me thinks.
Credit to Norths. Great to see a battling club get a scalp like that. The comp seems very even in some respects with recent results. Brothers seem to have a poor mindset against lower ranked teams. Eg game v Wests now Norths.
Next few weeks will tell where their heads are at

G

G&GR News Bot

So once again, Queensland Premier Rugby has not disappointed!
Sunnybank, Norths, Wests and Easts all recorded wins. A very interesting result arose from this round -Souths and Uni drew. This furthermore proves that Souths has become a force to be reckoned with and has strengthened throughout the season. Brothers gave away a penalty in the dying minutes in their game against Norths and went down 19-17. This was the upset of the round. Reigning Premiers Sunnybank have also strengthened, achieving a win against Jeeps. Our two coastal teams were defeated but the Gold Coast showed a gutsy effort and have played with determination and spirit throughout the season.
As we near closer to the finals, the games are really coming down to the wire and the heavyweights are battling it out now. The lower teams are definitely trying to fight back and play for pride and perhaps give a preview to the stronger sides that they will be next year.
Round 13 next week…13 is an unlucky number…could we have some upsets in store?
I was at the Brothers game so here is my match report. You can check out this match report and all others early in the week if you follow this link: http://www.redsrugby.com.au/PremierRugby.aspx
Brothers have endured their second loss in a row, going down 19-17 against a strong Norths side.
A breakdown in Brothers’ defence saw Norths leading in the first twenty minutes of the first half but playmaker Damon Murphy made use of his attacking skills and put some points on the board for the Brethren.
Maintaining excellent defence throughout the game, Norths denied Brothers many near-tries. Even with Norths having a 12-man team at one stage due to three yellow cards, Brothers were unable to capitalise on the opportunity to score two more tries to achieve a much-coveted bonus point win. Norths coach Michael Bishop was proud of his team’s efforts during this difficult phase of the game, “We showed a lot of courage today especially with being down to twelve men at one stage but we just persevered with our defence.”
Norths wingers Piriipi Neho-Popata and Varesa Vuki demonstrated excellent speed and attacking skills throughout the game and proved to be stand-out performers in the game. Brothers’ backline also combined good footwork and speed, with the combination of regaining the ball and gaining possession. Unfortunately, several handling errors from both teams prevented the ability to capitalise on try-scoring opportunities.
The close game demonstrated the turnaround in Norths’ season and coach Michael Bishop believes that it was a well-deserved win. “We’ve been close a lot of times and we just haven’t got there…we were determined to win and I think we definitely deserved the win.”
With Brothers facing a series of tough games, this upset was not the confidence boost they were looking for. Coach Matt Kaye was, “obviously very disappointed. We struggled to match them physically and mentally. We are not far away but we have to improve quickly.”
Brothers now look forward to next week, playing recent dark-horse of the competition Souths at Chipsy Wood oval, while Norths take on an improving Gold Coast side down the coast.

Norths 19 (Tonga Maafu, Piriipi Neho-Popata tries, Lasarusa Tabu 2 pen 1 con) defeated Brothers 17 (Damon Murphy, Charlie Freney tries, Dylan Taikato-Simpson 1 pen, 2 con)

Continue reading...

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Went down to Crosby Park yesterday and couldn't believe it when the ref handed Norths three yellow cards in quick succession. Talk about a potential match killer! As it turns out it only galvanised Norths who put on a remarkable defensive display to record a stunning victory. I doubt that the club has seen better in their history.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Will be interesting to see which Reds players we will see in the coming weeks.

Sunnybank: Holmes, Wallace-Harrison
Easts: Buttler
University: Morahan, Harris (injured?)
GPS: Frisby
Souths: Robinson
Brothers: Shipperely (unless he is being rested for the Wallabies).

I think everyone else is injured or with the Wallabies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Interesting to see if the Wallby squad players are released to play club rugby. You would think a Taps would be keen for a run.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldnt be suprised if we saw Radike Samo in the wallabies squad & forfeit his availability for GPS.

Robbie Deans has never been afraid to give caps to super 15 players who spent majority of their season on the bench backing up a different player.

& Radike Samo has been involved in some pretty epic moments for Deans Wallabies teams.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If Mckenzie has been picking Shatz over Samo i would say Samo is either carrying an injury or due to the long season and large workload of last year he isn't in peak condition.

I don't think we will see many back this weekend.

I am wondering where Ant Faigina is in Deans' thoughts. What club is he with, South still? Because he would be huge for them, as they could sneak in to 4th.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Matt Lucas had a big impact for the Dragon's on the weekend. I expect he'll be a major part of their campaign for the rest of the season. They may aslo get Kingi and PAE back too.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Sunnybank getting their Super Rugby players back when they are starting to hit form. This week against Easts will be a belter.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Mckenzie has been picking Shatz over Samo i would say Samo is either carrying an injury or due to the long season and large workload of last year he isn't in peak condition.

I don't think we will see many back this weekend.

I am wondering where Ant Faigina is in Deans' thoughts. What club is he with, South still? Because he would be huge for them, as they could sneak in to 4th.

If Deans had a choice between Schatz & Samo for his wallabies bench. I'm pretty sure he'd pick Samo because of his versatility.

Samo is a lock, blindside flanker, no8 & winger. Thats a total of 6 positions he can cover (but lets be serious, he is not really a wing only in extreme circumstances)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Throwing out an idea tha thit me today liek a scak of potatoes. Would people prefer that instead of the City vs Country match played each year being based on city clubs currently played at. Would peopel liek to see it more as club first played at. Similar to the NSW way of doing it. That way player such as the smith brothers for GPS and Jarrod Butler for Easts would play for Country since they palyed junior sint he aloted country areas

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Throwing out an idea tha thit me today liek a scak of potatoes. Would people prefer that instead of the City vs Country match played each year being based on city clubs currently played at. Would peopel liek to see it more as club first played at. Similar to the NSW way of doing it. That way player such as the smith brothers for GPS and Jarrod Butler for Easts would play for Country since they palyed junior sint he aloted country areas

I didn't see the game this year, but I would rather see a truely country team, from outside South East QLD and the Premier comp.

They would probs get flogged by a Premier Rugby side, so maybe they could play QLD Suburban or something.

It just seems like its a combined Coast team with a token Townsville player

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
With no rugby for players until 18 August is there any chance of players from the Wallaby squad being released to play club rugby? I would have thought it would be beneficial if they played at least one game in that time.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Depending on results this weekend it could be tight up the top of the Premier table. If Souths, Sunnybank and GPS get up 7 point will separate 6th from 1st.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hi guys we have 2 games covered and I will more than likely get to the East v Sunnybank game but we are still looking for game reports for these 2 games.
  • Rugby Gold Coast v Norths - Glennon Park 3:00pm
  • Sunshine Coast v Wests - Stockland Stadium Sunshine Coast 4:15pm
If you're going along to either of these games we would like some feed back. It can be a little or a much as you like. A simple scoreline and general feel for the match with the name of a standout player will make all the difference.
Thanks Sully, Bec and Mic.
If you come, they will build it!

Status
Not open for further replies.