• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I checked out the Sunnybank gym in my days off over Christmas; incredible setup they’ve got there. What surprised me is that they’ve added a short undercover tartan track too so they can do sprints and fitness in all weather.
Absolutely incredible for a suburban rugby club.
This gym complex developed at Sunnybank will be awesome for developing the physicality of their players and will attract a lot of new players with aspirations for a professional career. I think most visiting super rugby
teams will choose to train at Sunnybank in future.

W

What2040

read in local rag that Sunnybank has about 260-280 pokies - Andrew Wilkie will soon be on to them

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
THE poker machine reforms being pushed by independent MP (Moana Pasifika) Andrew Wilkie look to be all but dead in the water after he met with Prime Minister Julia Gillard last night.
Even before the two-hour session, Mr Wilkie was already resigned to the fact he may have to rely on the "good heart" of a Coalition MP (Moana Pasifika) crossing the floor to pass mandatory precommitment laws.
Ms Gillard and Mr Wilkie released separate statements last night saying they continued to work together, but neither mentioned precommitment reforms by name.
Before the meeting in Hobart, Mr Wilkie said if independent MPs failed to support legislation he would turn to the Coalition for help. As speculation mounted the government wants a hybrid scheme of $1 bets and limited precommitment, Mr Wilkie said he would release more information later this week. He said the meeting was productive and held in a "spirit of goodwill".
But the chances of Coalition MP (Moana Pasifika) crossing the floor were at best remote.
Independent MP (Moana Pasifika) Tony Windsor is unlikely to support the laws, Rob Oakeshott has concerns about a multiple card system required for precommitment and Bob Katter's support is also said to be in doubt.
"Now it is that much easier for a member of the Opposition, a man or woman of good heart, to support this or abstain," Mr Wilkie said.
He said Coalition MPs had verbally expressed support.
The written agreement Mr Wilkie has with the government refers only to mandatory pre-commitment but Mr Wilkie said a hybrid model with $1 bets was being devised by the government with his support.
His relevance to the government has dwindled since turncoat former Liberal MP (Moana Pasifika) Peter Slipper became Speaker at the end of last year, effectively giving the government two extra votes. That means Mr Wilkie's threats to bring down the government if precommitment laws weren't introduced by his May deadline were no longer relevant.
But he said it would be "inconceivable" for Ms Gillard to walk away from the deal he struck with the government for support.
Mr Wilkie resisted calls from fellow independent Nick Xenophon to walk away from the government over claims it is just stringing him along until his May deadline before they "dud him". "He's been honourable, he's been decent, I don't think the other side has been," Senator Xenophon said last night. Mr Wilkie said Senator Xenophon was simply out of the loop.
A spokeswoman for Ms Gillard said: "The Prime Minister and Mr Wilkie had a constructive meeting about poker machine reform to help problem gamblers. They are continuing to work through the details."

Might not be an issue if this is true

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was told this week that Rota Setu may be off to Japan. Would be a great result for him but not for Sunnybank. Probably would have picked up a Super contract if he hadn't played for Samoa.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was told this week that Rota Setu may be off to Japan. Would be a great result for him but not for Sunnybank. Probably would have picked up a Super contract if he hadn't played for Samoa.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would him playing for Samoa have discounted him from a Super contract? Yeah OK he wouldn't have been allowed to play for the Wallabies, but OS players play in Super rugby???

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Each team is only allowed 1 OS player, apart from Rebels. They normally want a high profile player to fill this spot. I know at least 1 team that wanted him but changed their mind as soon as they found out he played for Samoa.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ahh. Follow now. Just having a blonde moment.:)

I could also get on my 'Forr the greater good' soapbox, but I won't....

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
which clubs will do well and who will struggle? Souths any good? i saw em in a gf in 2009 i think?

From the squads it looks like there will be a divide between the top 5 sides and the bottom 5. As usuall Univeristy, Sunnybank and Brothers will be strong and Easts and GPS have strong set-ups this year. You can expect those 5 will battle it out.

The coast sides will struggle as their Academy talent have come to Brisbane due to their involvement in the National Academy. Wests will improve, but are still rebuilding somewhat, but they should make strides in comparison to the last few years. Norths appeared to make a surge towards the end of the last year, so they could look to finish mid-table if they perform in the same manner. Finally Souths struggled last year and will finish in the lower half this coming season.

Well thats my view on it, I'm sure others have different perceptions.

I cannot wait to see some of the games between the first 5 sides I mentioned.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really starting to look forward to club season starting, I know it a long time yet, but I really got to try and catch more Prem games this year, though I do get to a few, with my club not being a prem one I tend to only catch a few.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
From the squads it looks like there will be a divide between the top 5 sides and the bottom 5. As usuall Univeristy, Sunnybank and Brothers will be strong and Easts and GPS have strong set-ups this year. You can expect those 5 will battle it out.

The coast sides will struggle as their Academy talent have come to Brisbane due to their involvement in the National Academy. Wests will improve, but are still rebuilding somewhat, but they should make strides in comparison to the last few years. Norths appeared to make a surge towards the end of the last year, so they could look to finish mid-table if they perform in the same manner. Finally Souths struggled last year and will finish in the lower half this coming season.

Well thats my view on it, I'm sure others have different perceptions.

I cannot wait to see some of the games between the first 5 sides I mentioned.

Pretty much agrees with view of things T12. Be interesting to see how many of the Uni and Bank players are unavailable due to Reds committments. Uni has better depth but Sunnybank could struggle a bit without the likes of Schatz, Tapuai, Gill, Lucas, Holmes, Simmons and AWH, who are all likely to feature in S15. The advantage for Brothers, East and GPS is that they play more regularly as a team and have a consistency that comes with that.

It will be a very interesting season.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just going back to something that was mentioned a couple of pages ago... How many of the clubs will/might struggle it there are changes to the pokey laws? Are there clubs out there that rely on pokey income heavily for their funding?

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Only Sunnybank who have 280 machines, Palm Beach Currumbin on the Gold Coast who have about 20 machines and Rockhampton Rugby who have 6. There are no other licences held by clubs in Queensland. Compared to other sports Rugby really missed the oportunity when the laws changed in Queensland in the early 1990s.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only Sunnybank who have 280 machines, Palm Beach Currumbin on the Gold Coast who have about 20 machines and Rockhampton Rugby who have 6. There are no other licences held by clubs in Queensland. Compared to other sports Rugby really missed the oportunity when the laws changed in Queensland in the early 1990s.

Thanks. Was wondering how real (or preceived, depending on who you talk to) reductions in this funding stream would effect the Clubs out there. I would guess then that Sunnybank would be the only ones at rick of a significant problem if the laws go ahead nationwide. We all wait with baited breath.

W

What2040

Thanks. Was wondering how real (or preceived, depending on who you talk to) reductions in this funding stream would effect the Clubs out there. I would guess then that Sunnybank would be the only ones at rick of a significant problem if the laws go ahead nationwide. We all wait with baited breath.

Heard that if Pokie laws were introduced then clubs would experience a 30% drop in revenue - huge! Of course it is probably the last 30% (as in all businesses) is where the real net profit is generated. The effect for Sunnybank would probably mean they may not be able to chuck the $$$$$ at Reds players or fringe Reds thereby making the playing field more level (for the other clubs). Am pretty sure of several players that would play for other clubs but for the $$$$$ Sunnybank provides. Having said that I understand that Sunnybank injects a lot of $$$$ into junior rugby, not only their own but also assist in a variety of ways to the game in general. Anyway probably academic now that the pinup girl has reneged to Mr Wilkie.

neverhasbeen

Stan Wickham (3)
Heard that if Pokie laws were introduced then clubs would experience a 30% drop in revenue - huge! Of course it is probably the last 30% (as in all businesses) is where the real net profit is generated. The effect for Sunnybank would probably mean they may not be able to chuck the $$$$$ at Reds players or fringe Reds thereby making the playing field more level (for the other clubs). Am pretty sure of several players that would play for other clubs but for the $$$$$ Sunnybank provides. Having said that I understand that Sunnybank injects a lot of $$$$ into junior rugby, not only their own but also assist in a variety of ways to the game in general. Anyway probably academic now that the pinup girl has reneged to Mr Wilkie.

Of the players that play for Sunnybank I understand that all except 1 came through their junior/colts development program.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
what2040 Sunnybank does invest in the juniors and in the rugby community in general eg schools comp, they also have a big commitment to funding senior sevens programs for men and woman to assist with player development and to create opportunity. Your comment re players leaving if it wasn't for the $$$$$$$ is simply bullshit. No player at Sunnybank receives money over and above what any club could and does offer. No player receives anything that could be considered more than covering expenses. This is fact. Sunnybank could spend dollars on foreign players etc but sees no purpose in that. Winning a tournament by cheque book is not sustainable nor something that is healthy for the competition or code in general. FYI not one current interstate or international import reds contracted player is playing for Sunnybank. Some player managers and players may try and tell clubs and supporters a different story for their own commercial reasons but it is simply not true.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugrat - you sound as though you have some inside information. Good on Sunnybank for their attitude and support to the game. Do you think that the 30% decrease in revenues is accrurate? As a club do they have contingency plans for maintaining revenue if this is the case? No matter what they spend their money on 30% is a big chunk to go missing.

I continue to ask the questions as something is going to happen, if not now in the future, where restrictions of some kind are going to be enforced on the amount of money that is fed through the pokies, and therefore effect the amount of money the relevant clubs bring in. I have my own views about whether or not this is going to acheive the outcomes that are intended. I just feel that the clubs (not only rugby clubs but this is where my most concern is) needs to start looking at how they are going to deal with the effects of this type of legislation will have on their operations.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Do you think that the 30% decrease in revenues is accrurate? As a club do they have contingency plans for maintaining revenue if this is the case? No matter what they spend their money on 30% is a big chunk to go missing.

Not quite sure of the figures, but 30% does not sound too far off the mark. I think Sunnybank is looking for ways to diversify, but their biggest issue at the moment is that they’re on land leased from the Brisbane city council. Their most recent priority has been to purchase their own land, not to move the facilities any time soon but in case they cannot get another long term lease.

I know a couple of years ago Sunnybank was very close to purchasing land and a club in the city centre. That fell through at the last minute with a director of the takeover target undermining Sunnybank’s offer. Sunnybank withdrew the offer rather than get involved in a bidding war.

So long story short, they remain worried about any potential impacts of pokie restrictions, and yes they are trying to find other avenues to ensure the club’s survival. It is worth noting however that all this is relevant to the Sunnybank community club which is a separate entity to the rugby club. The community club was born of the rugby club, and it helps fund the seniors and juniors at the rugby club (and the Macgregor cricket club, and the netball club) but if one were to die the other would still survive.

For disclosure, I’m related to a board member of the community club.

Status
Not open for further replies.