• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
It would be great to see Norths do well. After many years of having so much potential I really do hope to see them at least crack the top 6. They had a decent Premier Colts team in 2011 didn't they? Maybe a few blokes in Premier Colts will make the step to Premier Grade?
Quite a big step from Colts to Prems so don't look for miracles from Colts stepping up. Didn't the skipper win the Prem Comp player of the year? He's a good honest player but I do think they may need a couple of good signings to be competitive.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is there anywhere that I can get my hands on a draw? Looks like I might be spending a bit of time is Brisvagas this season so thinking I might drop into a few games for a squiz.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Quite a big step from Colts to Prems so don't look for miracles from Colts stepping up. Didn't the skipper win the Prem Comp player of the year? He's a good honest player but I do think they may need a couple of good signings to be competitive.
There were players eligible for colts last year that played in Prems but I don't know if there were any in Norths who did so.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Would be interesting to see what trials clubs are playing in the next couple of months. Sunnybank are playing a game in Melbourne at the start of March and then play Tuggeranong at home.

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
Just you wait and see

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jo O'Regan who played in the Australian School's A team in 2009 will be up in the grades this year. He has the potential to be a very good Premier player if he puts his mind to it. Think he is coming back from injury. He's a Norths Junior played 1st XV at BSHS.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Jo O'Regan who played in the Australian School's A team in 2009 will be up in the grades this year. He has the potential to be a very good Premier player if he puts his mind to it. Think he is coming back from injury. He's a Norths Junior played 1st XV at BSHS.
I played against Joe Numerous times and he was always a hard tough player, but I'm not sure he has the size yet to step up as a Premier Grade hooker.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Would be interested in getting some ideas of club players people are expecting big things from this year and who they think may be a chance of stepping up to the next level.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Aah Jets I hate leaving you hanging, but I haven't been to a training session yet this year. I do know that the Uni Prem Colts keep almost exactly the same forward pack as last year potentially, however I see some of those boys spending some time up in grades this year (based on their progress through last season). Still, there's a chance I'm talking out my arse..... :D I wish I could give names, but for the first 6 weeks of a season, I only know the new players by injury or strapping location, so "ankle boy" could have had a cracking game, or perhaps "the other ankle boy" might have outplayed him. Sorry!!

As far as "the next level" it saddens me a little that we're always talking about the step up from club rugby to super 15 and not recognizing those guys who are just really good club players, particularly those guys who start out in third or second grade and end up making a regular spot in first grade or premier grade. I get that it's an economic reality that we're so focussed on professional footy and it's no one's fault, but I guess I just miss those days where you had a bloody good club side with really quality players and not necessarily superstars (I'm thinking guys like Nick Barr, Andrew Brown, Fat Bum, Crackers, that Daykin bloke etc - apologies for nicknames, but I can't remember their real names right now). I mean, quality players are throughout the grades in Brisbane rugby, but they're not going to make it to S15 for any number of reasons - some work, some are behind Will Genia, some hit their prime too late, some just want to play club football etc.

Not intended as a rant against you or anyone in particular Jets, I'm just feeling a little nostalgic for the "good old days"

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Aah Jets I hate leaving you hanging, but I haven't been to a training session yet this year. I do know that the Uni Prem Colts keep almost exactly the same forward pack as last year potentially, however I see some of those boys spending some time up in grades this year (based on their progress through last season). Still, there's a chance I'm talking out my arse..... :D I wish I could give names, but for the first 6 weeks of a season, I only know the new players by injury or strapping location, so "ankle boy" could have had a cracking game, or perhaps "the other ankle boy" might have outplayed him. Sorry!!
quote]

Glad I'm not the only one!!!!. Still get blokes coming up to me and saying 'How you going? Haven't seen you in ages.' When I give them my perfected blank look I get, 'Oh, pick me up off this road/footy field/rodeo ring/cattle yards/ property with suvh and such an injury.' I remember now you did you ACL when you were tackled by that big lock. Sorry, if you had shown me your knee I would have recognised you.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Cat that was the greatest post I've read here. Laughing out loud at my desk. I'm questioning you eye for talent with at least one of the names you mentioned there.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
. I'm questioning you eye for talent with at least one of the names you mentioned there.

Crackers? Yeah - bit of a left-field selection... ;)

I'm often tempted to write a match-report before I know people's names one year. I'm pretty sure it'll go with "The curly-headed bloke kicked off and they knocked on. Then the guy with the dodgy hamstring went for a dart but had to come off after shortly after. The guy who played here a few years ago, whose name escapes me at the moment, made a pretty decent tackle - don't remember him being that fast before - and the ball came loose. It went wide to knee-boy and I think he passed it to the guy with the head-tape to score. I'm not real sure, because I was looking to make sure everyone got up from the previous breakdown. But that's what Macca said. (there's a Macca in every team!)".

Probably a bit below the quality of match reports on GAGR though...

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have tears rolling down my cheeks !!!!!!! There is just not a smilie that says how piss funny that would be. I would love to read it.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any trial news from clubs?
Breakers and Sunnybank at PBC 10s this weekend.
Sunnybank play FNC next Saturday 25/2; Rebels Rising in Melbourne on Friday 2/3 and Tuggeranong on Saturday10/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.