• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
At Wests we've got three trials against Easts, Norths and then Souths.

I believe Norths are playing five trial games including Wests, Easts and Souths.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybanks trial against the Far North Coast has been called off for tomorrow.

T

TOCC

the QRU must be looking for a new naming rights sponsor for this comp now... Air Australia(aka Strategic Airlines) which declared bankruptcy last week was the major sponsor

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
QCup League is sponsored by Intrust Super, NEAFL by Powerade (Coke), QSL by Hyundai.
The only code without a sponsor is Rugby, and yet the Reds are enjoying public and corporate sales well above that of the elite teams in the other codes.
Will be interesting to watch the progress as the strategy this year is supposed to be to future proof Rugby in Queensland. Political spin or will real action follow????

M

manu

After going through the Reds, the Academy, 7's and few other players from other squads, I thought I'd list the players that could be turning out for each club next year. Obviously alot of players wont play at all but I thought it'd be interesting to list them anyway.

Brothers- Murphy, Shipperely, Felsman, Postal ( I think he played there juniors so maybe).

Uni: Davis, Hanson, Shepherdson, McDuling, Buchanan Horwill, Wade, Prior, Lance, Harris, Morahan x2, Davies, Foley

Sunnybank: Anae, Holmes, Alo-Emile, AWH, Simmons, Ah Wong, Gill, Shatz, Lucas x2, Tapuai, Ioane, Kingi

GPS: Smith x2, Samo, Frisby, Fainga'a x2, Hynes

Easts: Bermingham, Stollberg, Enever, Kimmince,Quirk, Buttler, Tupou, Faulkner, Toua

Souths: Robinson, Browning, Feaui-Satuia, Cooper, Humphries, Sitauti

Gold Coast: Slipper, Daley*

Wests: Higginbotham

Norths: Genia

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
A good number of the players mentioned in T12's post above will be on show at Ballymore at 6.00 this afternoon against Fiji A. Worth a peek if you're not doing anything.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Reported in the paper that ABC are no longer televising QCup. One would hope the QRU have been quick to lock in the services of the one and only OB van at the ABC to telecast Premier Rugby before AFL secure it.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Quite agree Happy Jack. Would be fantastic for the local comp and all our clubs.
Sydney's Shute Shield has been televised on the ABC for many years. Presume that's continuing this year.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm assuming that all the guys that went around for Qld A at Ballymore yesterday will also be featuring in the local comp this year. Excellent stuff, as there will be a lot of good young talent on display. I saw six or seven Easts Tigers out there, which bodes well for the clubs chances this year.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Quite agree Happy Jack. Would be fantastic for the local comp and all our clubs.
Sydney's Shute Shield has been televised on the ABC for many years. Presume that's continuing this year.
Doubt that the QRU staff will be driving this very hard as it would cost money to get it on abc and as Premier funding to the clubs comes direct from the ARU now, unsure how much funding is directed to the QRU to manage the competion. I am sure sadly they wont be in a position to fund premier rugby promotion, even though one could argue that is one of their primary responsibilities. Would be great though if they could get ABC and then maybe a sponsor. Easier said than done though. "Actions speak louder than words".

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd love to see games back on the ABC. It might involve teams playing at Ballymore as they have the facilities to film the matches. I think it would be great for grass roots rugby.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
I'd love to see games back on the ABC. It might involve teams playing at Ballymore as they have the facilities to film the matches. I think it would be great for grass roots rugby.
Yeah, I'm sure if by some miracle the ABC did start televising games it would be from Ballymore.
Personally I'd love to see matches broadcast from the suburban grounds, as Ballymore with a small crowd lacks a fair bit of atmosphere.
But hey, who cares.
I'd just love to see Premier Rugby getting to a bigger audience via television.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If done properly I think Ballymore could be a good venue for TV games. Play the games there on Saturday and not just the Premier and reserve games. If all of the club teams are playing there then the crowd and atmosphere would improve. It would involve playing a few games outside but if Premier, Prem Colts and 1st Grade were on the main field I think it would be great.
Also let the host club make money off selling food and they could also use the game as a day to bring sponsors out and sit in the comfort of the QLD Rugby Club rooms.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Televised club footy would be enormous but a private sponsor would be needed for that.

Not to the point but has the Premier Comp got a new sponsor in light of Australian Airlines going bust?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. You need a major sponsor to get the games televised but you can't get a major sponsor if the games aren't televised.
I know the QRU aren't big on funding Premier Rugby but it would do great things for rugby in QLD if games were on ABC each week.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree with the comments about sponsorship.
Somewhat optimistically, I sent an email to the QRU this morning asking if there was any possibility of the ABC being approached.
Will be interesting to see their reply.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Out of interest does anyone know how much it would cost for 21 rounds of Premier Rugby to be shown on ABC?

Status
Not open for further replies.