• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
If done properly I think Ballymore could be a good venue for TV games. Play the games there on Saturday and not just the Premier and reserve games. If all of the club teams are playing there then the crowd and atmosphere would improve. It would involve playing a few games outside but if Premier, Prem Colts and 1st Grade were on the main field I think it would be great.
Also let the host club make money off selling food and they could also use the game as a day to bring sponsors out and sit in the comfort of the QLD Rugby Club rooms.
We were discussing the same thing driving home from the game at Ballymore last night.
Maybe each club got to hold there 'home' game at B'more at least twice a season or whatever, and they get the proceeds still.
Great grounds just sitting there.
Also, very impressed with a lot of the players last night. Those that started and those that came of the bench. Some great talent there.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think when they were last televised the QRU told the Premier Clubs that it cost $5K a game
18 Rounds Plus 3 Finals = $105K
One of the great things was that people in Qld Country saw the games as well
It was the only free to air coverage of Rugby
I would not be surprised if AFL grab the spot for NEAFL as the ABC televise the local comps in SA and Victoria on similar deals

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Are you suggesting we pass the hat around?:)
No I don't think most clubs have $2 spare. Just wanting to know how much they would need from a sponsor to get the games on TV.
The QRU are currently pushing a One Economy policy to try and strengthen the grassroots game. I think if Premier Rugby can get on TV it would make it easier for clubs to get more out of their sponsors as they would receive greater exposure.
Also showing the game across the state and on i view would allow more people to be exposed to rugby.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
No I don't think most clubs have $2 spare. Just wanting to know how much they would need from a sponsor to get the games on TV.
The QRU are currently pushing a One Economy policy to try and strengthen the grassroots game. I think if Premier Rugby can get on TV it would make it easier for clubs to get more out of their sponsors as they would receive greater exposure.
Also showing the game across the state and on i view would allow more people to be exposed to rugby.
Yeah, sorry Jets, I was being very tongue-in-cheek. I certainly know that most clubs are in no position to contribute a brass razoo.
I agree 100% about the flow-on benefits that Premier clubs would get from TV coverage.
At the moment, the most that clubs can offer prospective sponsors is a bit of ground signage and logos on jerseys. And not much more.
In an earlier post Happy Jack has quoted some figures per match from a couple of years ago. Not sure if this was from the ABC or not.
Also, I sent an email to the QRU yesterday asking about the possibility of TV coverage, but no reply yet.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I wouldn't hold my breath Pieman. If I were the QRU I would be jumping o this. Will do more for the game than Reds TV.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
I believe the ABC has already indicated they will be looking to do more televising of Women's Sport.
Also if clubs allowed all games to be moved to Ballymore then they lose revenue from the beer tent and canteen sales.
I think it would be a hard argument to push.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
If I were the QRU I would be jumping o this. Will do more for the game than Reds TV.
I agree - now would be the perfect time to take this up. There is generally a spike in interest following a WC year and that will be amplified (at least in Queensland) by the Reds sucess last year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I believe the ABC has already indicated they will be looking to do more televising of Women's Sport.
Also if clubs allowed all games to be moved to Ballymore then they lose revenue from the beer tent and canteen sales.
I think it would be a hard argument to push.
But if they were smart it would be a great way to make more money. Hosting an event such as an Old Boys day or the like would give them the opportunity to attract a big crowd and I'm sure they could come to some arrangement with the QRU in regards to a good price for the facility.
This works if the QRU see it as a way to spread the word and showcase the grassroots game to a greater percentage of the population. It fails if they want to make money off it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank are flying down to Melbourne to play the Rebel Rising in the curtain raiser for the Rebels v Tah's game tomorrow. Will be a good opportunity for a few of the young guys in the Dragon's team to impress in front of officials from a Super Team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Unfortunately Ben suffered a season ending knee injury at the Noosa 7's at the end of last year. He had a knee recon and I think he will be back running around June or July. I think he is going to hold off a come back for the 7's season as he sees the Commonwealth Games as a goal. It was a real pity as he would have been in the running for the 7's this year had it not been for the injury.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Off the Sunnybank facebook page. Quite a few new faces.

Sunnybank Team v Melbourne Rebels Rising 4:00pm (Qld Time)
1 MACKAY Buchanan
2 CURRY Kurtis
3 TULI William
4 MILLS Tom
5 MELTON Gregory
6 Dallimore Jon
7 POUHILA Michael
8 Ah Wong Nigel
9 TAUPO Conan
10 TELA Teti
11 GAVEGAN Adam
12 TAPUAI Rex
13 LEE Peter
14 TELA Semiti
15 ROUTLEDGE Danny
16 MELLOR Samuel
17 HOROMIA Josef
18 DOWLING Christopher
19 UTTERIDGE Mitchell
20 LANGI Ed
21 O'CONNOR Sean
22 ELLIA Leon
23 PETAIA Walter
Trainer McDONALD Corey
Head Coach SEIB Rod
Manager BYRNE Nathan

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
But if they were smart it would be a great way to make more money. Hosting an event such as an Old Boys day or the like would give them the opportunity to attract a big crowd and I'm sure they could come to some arrangement with the QRU in regards to a good price for the facility.
This works if the QRU see it as a way to spread the word and showcase the grassroots game to a greater percentage of the population. It fails if they want to make money off it.
From memory I believe the Qld Rugby club had the liqour license and Spotless had the catering rights.
Whilst I agree in principle with the proposal and the overall benefits to Rugby's exposure in Qld, these businesses will be hard to convince re the benefits to rugby overcoming financial interests.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)

1 MACKAY Buchanan
2 CURRY Kurtis
3 TULI William
4 MILLS Tom
5 MELTON Gregory
6 Dallimore Jon
7 POUHILA Michael
8 Ah Wong Nigel
9 TAUPO Conan
10 TELA Teti
11 GAVEGAN Adam
12 TAPUAI Rex
13 LEE Peter
14 TELA Semiti
15 ROUTLEDGE Danny
16 MELLOR Samuel
17 HOROMIA Josef
18 DOWLING Christopher
19 UTTERIDGE Mitchell
20 LANGI Ed
21 O'CONNOR Sean
22 ELLIA Leon
23 PETAIA Walter
Trainer McDONALD Corey
Head Coach SEIB Rod
Manager BYRNE Nathan

How old will Langi be now - remember him from his time in ACT. Probaly need a 4 XL jersey too.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From memory I believe the Qld Rugby club had the liqour license and Spotless had the catering rights.
Whilst I agree in principle with the proposal and the overall benefits to Rugby's exposure in Qld, these businesses will be hard to convince re the benefits to rugby overcoming financial interests.
I doubt Spotless have the rights to catering at Ballymore any more. It wouldn't be worth their while.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
what's happening with UQ, are they looking the goods in 2012?
Uni will be in the same boat as any of the clubs with a large number of rep players. With the change in Super season structure the Reds players wont get on the field much, if at all, in 2012. The clubs with depth and good programs will do well. In saying that Uni have had great depth in the past few seasons so they should do ok.
It would be nice if there wasn't such a gap in the comp this year.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
I doubt Spotless have the rights to catering at Ballymore any more. It wouldn't be worth their while.
Well I did say "From Memory" - my point was about the financial interests over rugby interest.
I do agree that grassroots rugby needs the exposure that TV can provide.
If TV exposure can be a component to sell to the clubs sponsors then it becomes a more marketable product.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sunnybank went down 40 - 29 to Rebel Rising. Good result as the Dagons could not take a full strength team due to work commitments. Game was close (21 -17 just after HT) but when the younger players came on (all 24 players used) the budding Melbourne professionals scored 2 late tries.
Good result to score 29 points. Players had a defensive session with John Muggleton this morning and are enjoying the Melbourne (wet) weather. Some R&R time this afternoon including one of the NAB Cup matches at Etihad.
Sunnybank will play Tuggeranong Saturday at Sunnybank.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

12 TAPUAI Rex

Hopefully this fellow played well and got a serious look. He's got strong links to Vic Rugby and if I'm not mistaken played most of his junior rugby there (he played at least some). He's also played at least a season of seniors in Vic.

I'm actually pretty miffed that more of the Rebel/Force/Brumbies "EPS" spots haven't been assigned to taking a risk on a local, it seems this kind of contract should be tailor made for taking a punt on an untried player that could be a success story for the local scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.