• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Doesn't look like there will be such a gap between the top5 and bottom 5 like there has been over the past few years, Souths and Wests will make alot of upsets, and you never know which Norths side will turn up, so they can be un-predictable.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Back to the rugby. I went and watched Souths v Sunnybank on Tuesday night. While it wasn't the most entertaining game to watch it was a great example of a team playing to the conditions and their strengths to win a game. Souths kicked well to established good field position and attacked the breakdown with great vigour. Sunnybank were let down with their body position going into contact and turned over a heap of ball.
Souths will trouble a lot of teams this year if they can build on this performance.

Did you catch a glimpse of this star winger they have? former national seven player for some african nation? Also i would be very interested to here about their backrow as it must be fantastic to keep ged o'hare out of the team

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I wasn't really watch the Souths players to closely but to create so many turnovers the backrow must have been doing a good job. Their winger with the mohawk looked dangerous, guessing that's the guy you're talking about.
The challenge for these teams is to keep the momentum now that teams will be expecting more from them.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Doesn't look like there will be such a gap between the top5 and bottom 5 like there has been over the past few years, Souths and Wests will make alot of upsets, and you never know which Norths side will turn up, so they can be un-predictable.

T12 are you the easts inside centre?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Which clubs have employed full time coaches? Correct me if I'm wrong but Uni and Sunnybank I believe have full time staff? Any other clubs ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Which clubs have employed full time coaches? Correct me if I'm wrong but Uni and Sunnybank I believe have full time staff? Any other clubs ?

most Prem clubs have full time staff, but that's distinct from full time coaches.

None of the clubs have full time coaches, although the Bank have the closest with a Director of Rugby (correct Jets, is that the title?).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank have a Director of Rugby, Development Manager, General Manager and Receptionist. All of these roles cover the Senior and Junior Clubs and with over 1000 players there is quite a lot going on.

Uni have 4 or 5 staff to and they cover the Club and Academy. General Manager, Director of Rugby, Marketing and Business Manager I think. Red Heavy would be able to give exact details.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Phil works for West Seniors, Wests Juniors, Forest Lake Rugby, Taylor Bridge Rugby and West Cricket as a Commercial Coordinator. His coaching role is outside this position. So technically he works for the club but isn't employed full time as a coach.

sunnysideup

Frank Nicholson (4)
Pretty sure Matty K at Brothers is fulltime, I know Zane Hilton was and naturally assume Adrian Thomson (Support Coach with the Aust U20's) and Matty Kaye would have followed suit when they took over the roles respectively - hmmmmm hope that makes sense

Tez T

Bob McCowan (2)
Did you catch a glimpse of this star winger they have? former national seven player for some african nation?
Their winger with the mohawk looked dangerous, guessing that's the guy you're talking about.

The player you refer to is Dominic Lespierre of Guyana (South America). While he had limited opportunities on Tuesday night against Sunnybank, in the trial against Wests he chalked-up 4 tries.

20100730rugby4-278x208.jpg

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I think if he gets some space he will be hard to catch. Nice pick up by you guys TT.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From the QRU website

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/6342/Default.aspx

Gallopers and Magpies headline round two of Queensland Premier Rugby

By Amy Price
imageResize.ashx
After torrential rain incited a hard-fought opening round, Queensland Premier Rugby teams will continue to prove their early form this Saturday during the second round of the competition, headlined by an intriguing battle between early leader GPS and emerging dark horse Souths at Yoku Road.
The encounter between Souths and GPS is set to be a blockbuster, with Jeeps four-try haul against Norths sending them to the top of the Premier Rugby ladder while Souths scored an upset win over defending premiers Sunnybank in their postponed game on Tuesday.
GPS electrified the crowd last week with Queensland Reds backrower Radike Samo storming the field for the full 80 minutes in a starring performance; but with Samo returning to the Reds camp this week, Souths will enter the game on a level playing field and confident after their impressive showing against Sunnybank first-up.
The performance of the Magpies defence, headed by captain Sam Denny, will again be crucial this week as they attempt to quell the Jeeps try-scoring machine when they take to the field at 3:20pm on Saturday.
The standout performer of the match will also receive the new Musashi ‘High Performer of the Week’ award, won in round one by Brothers scrumhalf Dave Campbell.
Campbell helped the Brethren launch a solid start to bettering their runners-up performance of 2011, coming back from an 11-0 deficit against a dangerous Easts side to clinch a 20-17 win in difficult conditions.
The Brethren will meet Wests in round two, who showed impressive form in a postponed opening round against University, going down 23-19 to the defending Minor Premiers in what was former Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney’s first game with the club.
But, with just four days between games, the Bulldogs will have to recover quickly in order to match the impressive Brothers outfit when they meet at Jack Ross Oval this Saturday.
The Gold Coast secured the biggest winning margin of round one, with the 29-15 success over the Sunshine Coast indicating a solid improvement from last year under the guidance of Sunnybank’s former premiership-winning coach Rob Nowlan.
The Breakers will have a chance to set their mark on the competition this week when they face an injury-hit Easts side, who despite being valiant in their opening round loss to Brothers, will take the field without injured flyhalf Matt Brandon, as Sam Cox steps up from the back-line to take his place.
Sunnybank will be desperate to prove they are still the force that saw them win the 2011 Hospital Cup when they take on the Sunshine Coast, after losing their opening encounter to Souths in a 25-20 upset on Tuesday.
Sunnybank will have to get past the Sunshine Coast at Oldmac Oval while the Stingrays will be determined to move on from their 14-point loss to the Gold Coast at the weekend.
Norths will look to regain confidence in their defensive line this week after conceding four tries in their loss to GPS on Saturday, despite losing captain Carlos Gavidi from their pack.
They face a tough prospect against the clinical University in round two at St Lucia, who will look to build on their four-point win over Wests to continue the devastating form that has earned them the past two Minor Premierships.
Each week RedsTV will review the past round of Queensland Premier Rugby and take a look at the game’s ahead. Make sure you check it out at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEMlnnWZ8E.
2012 Queensland Premier Rugby - Round 2 on Saturday 5 May
Brothers v WestsJack Ross Oval at 3:15pm
Easts v Gold CoastDavid Wilson Field at 3:00pm
Sunnybank v Sunshine CoastOldmac Oval at 3:00pm
University v NorthsSt Lucia at 3:00pm
GPS v SouthsYoku Road at 3:20pm
Full Queensland Premier Rugby fixtures and results can be found here:
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/PremierRugby/FixturesResults.aspx

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With Mortlock making his come back from injury this week, it made me wonder who the oldest player in Prem Grade is this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.