• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Has anyone heard of any movements regarding Nemani Nadolo in the Brisbane club scene this year? (For those who don't know he was a rising star in Aus rugby playing Junior World Cup and was contracted with the Tahs but ended up going overseas due to various reasons). I'm sure I saw him around Brissy on the weekend and a friend of mine said he was playing for GPS but I haven't heard any indication of that.

If he is playing in Brisbane this season it would be a major coup for whichever club he's joined, a 120kg winger is not easy to stop! I seem to recall him having ties to both Brothers and Sunnybank?

He would absolutely carve it up in Prems. A couple of massive Fijians at GPS...haven't seen that since the 80's.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know this thread for Prem rugby fellas, but just want to say had our first senior game at our new grounds last night, just a friday night game obviously, but there wasn't a Logan City club member down there without a grin on from ear to ear seeing it all in action!! It certainly a great facility at this stage 2 playing fields with lights better than any outside of maybe Ballymore (if not as good) one training field which will also be No 3 field, lights still to go up on that, and a pretty good clubrooms. All in all great payback for a lot of sterling work over the years for a number of dedicated club people!! Got our first sat senior games against Tigers there next week.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I know this thread for Prem rugby fellas, but just want to say had our first senior game at our new grounds last night, just a friday night game obviously, but there wasn't a Logan City club member down there without a grin on from ear to ear seeing it all in action!! It certainly a great facility at this stage 2 playing fields with lights better than any outside of maybe Ballymore (if not as good) one training field which will also be No 3 field, lights still to go up on that, and a pretty good clubrooms. All in all great payback for a lot of sterling work over the years for a number of dedicated club people!! Got our first sat senior games against Tigers there next week.
How close do you think Logan City is to replacing Gold Coast (who seem to be on their last legs)?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
How close do you think Logan City is to replacing Gold Coast (who seem to be on their last legs)?
Tigerland, I don't think we are very close at all realistically, we have been given so many moving goalposts re being eligble for Prems, it is obvious that QRU have absolutely no intention of letting us in regardless. I can tell you it sure not facility based now as I personally think new set up would be best club set up in Qld, that saying something as I always thought Easts was best. It not from junior numbers as ours seem to be pretty healthy, and players wise although we drew with Sunshine Coast pre season, we are not going to stop top players leaving unless we in Prems, reason a few clubs are so determined to keep us down.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was going to head to Norths vs Uni today (seeing as I am a student at UQ and all), but ended up heading to the Scotney cup clash between Everton Park and Wests. I played a season for Park in 2004, after I had come down from Cairns. Back then I believe they were in the Pegg cup. I was really interested in seeing how the boys would go this arvo.

My God! Everton Park are well drilled in the pack! The scrum is brilliant. Everytime the backs got the ball today, they had so much space, and they backed themselves. Cracking game, from an EP perspective.

Shame they aren't in a higher div, as looking at the results, and todays game, they need to be. I don't know what their numbers are like now, but I know they used to field 2 teams. One in Pegg and one in Barber.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Best Everton Park can hope for is to go up to Pegg & Barber cup & the next team that will probably go up from there are rangers as i believe from my little bird at QRU that they to the next Logan & Redlands type team to join the brisbane comp. However Ipswich always struggle for in the colts department. I imagine most IGS and Eddies players who wanted to seek to continue their rugby career would move to a prem colts club.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh, I never expected EP to go higher than Pegg, I'm just surprised they aren't there this year. They must have had some shocking years recently.

EP have very strong juniors though.

W

What2040

I hear Easts got up over the Gold Coast, any other results around the grounds?

Evidently, Easts were tipped to win by 30-50 but the Breakers only lost the game in last 15 - score about 24 to 6

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts Tigers vs Gold Coast Breakers
Bottomely Park

Easts were heavily favoured to win this one, but with the loss of skipper Matt Brandon and winger Kieran Ross, there was a level of uncertainty about how the Tigers would perform against an always aggressive Gold Coast side. The opening exchanges were fairly physical, with Easts consistantly making big tackles and not allowing the Breakers across the advantage line. But in attack Easts failed to capatilze on their chances with David Skelton breaking the line twice before the play breaking down the next phase. Credit to the Breakers they managed to stiffle the Easts attack, but the home side was holding most of the possession through patient play and good build up from the forwards. For the second week in a row, 8 man Jarrad Buttler was immense in this work with the ball in hand and also the line out. Cox and Buatava traded penalites with the score 6-3 to Easts at half-time.

Buatava scored the Breakers last points after the interval. But from then on Easts dominated most aspects of the match, with Sam Cox directing the play. I will admit personally I had concerns how the Tigers would look in attack without star 10 Matt Brandon and rising Reds member UJ Seuteni, but Sam Cox was brilliant in all aspects of his game, threw some brilliant passes to his men out wide while also running, tackling and kicking well. One of his kicks to the corner allowed speedy winger Chris Mansell to place alot of pressure on Breakers fullback Langback, forcing him in goal. From the ensuing 5m scrum, the Tigers cleared the ball and a few phases later big centre Toby White crashed over.

As Easts continued to put pressure on the Breakers, their scrum continued to dominate. Young Bermingham and Parraka had a field day with the Gold Coast never seemingly moving forward at scrum time. Sam Cox added another penalty to make the score 14-6 nearing the end of the match.

Easts final score of the game came after persistant forward play from ball runners such as Buttler and Enever lead to the ever-present Dom Fuller to scoot through and put Parraka over in the corner. Final score 19-6

Solid performance from Easts, and credit to the Gold Coast who were persistant in defence. But Easts controlled most of the game, lead from strong performances from Sam Cox, David Skelton and Jarrad Buttler. But my personal MOM was fullback Johnny Wilder. He's played consistantly on the wing or at 15 over the past couple of seasons, and despite not having much meat on him, he is always a threat in attack. His kicking game and security under the high ball is also something to be applauded.

FInally, a word on the referee. I don't usually complain, but this ref was appalling. Free for all at the breakdown, and he missed many knock ons and forward passes. His ability as a ref was probably why the game was so stop start at some points. Would like to see him spend a few weeks as a touchie before getting another Premier gig.

019.JPG

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Not sure if we watched the same game tigerland12. Easts will be disappointed with there performance. GC had no attack and easts dropped a lot of ball. Cox didnt assert any authority or control on the game. Yes Butler was destructive and the centers Toby White and skelton played well.

I cannot believe Nathan eyres-brown is in reds consideration. He is a muppet and couldn't believe he's even a prem grade winger looking at him.

Also funny to see Caleb Brown get gassed down the sideline by late call up colt James Klassen.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Gotta agree with East Coast Aces. The Tigers should have done better but there was a lot of turn over from knock- ons by the backs. Tigers scrum was awesome to watch. Low and strong. Credit to all in the scrum.
Agree with tigerland...Ref had a shocking influence. Pedantic with some calss but then let obvious and massive mistakes right in front of him, go. Even my Mum knows some of the rules better then him!!

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Easts Tigers vs Gold Coast Breakers
Bottomely Park

FInally, a word on the referee. I don't usually complain, but this ref was appalling. Free for all at the breakdown, and he missed many knock ons and forward passes. His ability as a ref was probably why the game was so stop start at some points. Would like to see him spend a few weeks as a touchie before getting another Premier gig.

View attachment 2314

Ain't going to happen. He's one of only 5 referees in "Premier Squad".
More likely to see him running touch at a Super 15 game.
I didn't see it, but players don't usually get dropped for 1 bad game...
I've seen him turn in plenty of good ones.

K

KelseyMan

Ain't going to happen. He's one of only 5 referees in "Premier Squad".
More likely to see him running touch at a Super 15 game.
I didn't see it, but players don't usually get dropped for 1 bad game...
I've seen him turn in plenty of good ones.

You should have seen the performance at Ashgrove in GPS V Souths! Too many refs have never played the game and simply don't understand the dynamics, especially in scrums and at the breakdown. No easy solution to this except to have a pathway for ex-players. My understanding, however, is that if a former player puts his hand up, at least in the QRRA, he goes to the back of the queue. You also only need to look at the Reds V Crusaders game today to see that this problem extends to S15. And look at last year's RWC final - say no more.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Not sure if we watched the same game tigerland12. Easts will be disappointed with there performance. GC had no attack and easts dropped a lot of ball. Cox didnt assert any authority or control on the game. Yes Butler was destructive and the centers Toby White and skelton played well.

I cannot believe Nathan eyres-brown is in reds consideration. He is a muppet and couldn't believe he's even a prem grade winger looking at him.

Also funny to see Caleb Brown get gassed down the sideline by late call up colt James Klassen.
Also agree with a lot of your post here ECA! GC didn't look likely to cross the strip and I actually thought GC kept JB a lot quieter than normal. Easts pack monstered the Breakers who must e fielding the smallest pack ever in their history and probably in this competition. I thought they pressured Easts into a lot of mistakes but never looked capable of threatening. The ref was average and many of them have little understanding of the dynamics and las around the scrum. Paraka had a field day booring in on the GC TH but easy to overlook when Easts were so dominant in the set pieces

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Great report Tigerland, I really appreciate any of these kind of write ups as I tend to be at Logan games so don't get a lot of chance to see these games. Glad to see young Wilder had a good game, he one of the reasons that Easts my prem team.

Status
Not open for further replies.