• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Filth,
The one punch and your off rule has been in place in QLD rugby for more than a decade. So all players should be aware of it by now.
I'm sure the parents and players who played with Andrew Hahn (Sunnybank Colts 1995) would disagree - one punch next your dead.
Always missed but remembered always.

Filth - correct and guys who played that day still have difficulty talking about it.
I enjoy tough hard rugby as well as everybody else, but the line has been drawn by the game administrators in Qld. If it helps eliminate the "cheap shot merchants" I am all for it.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Can you bloody believe it, I have witnessed the comeback of all comebacks! Breakers down 25-7 at the break storm back to beat GPS 35-32! Un-bloody believable, sorry no time for match report off to the Reds vs Lions but that Rory Arnold should get an Academy contract

Xavier jenkins

Frank Nicholson (4)
Let the Brothers 4 play this weekend, Wests will sort him out.
Let the Brothers 4 play this weekend, Wests will sort him out.
From what I saw before the reds game yesterday, wests should of spent more time and energy focusing on playing football rather than trying to pick fights and get square with the brothers players. Was impressed with the brothers tight five to hold out on their own line a man down, 7 men against a strong wests scrum showed a lot of ticker.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
From what I saw before the reds game yesterday, wests should of spent more time and energy focusing on playing football rather than trying to pick fights and get square with the brothers players. Was impressed with the brothers tight five to hold out on their own line a man down, 7 men against a strong wests scrum showed a lot of ticker.

Obviously we were watching different games because it was the assistant referee who put the Brothers lock in the bin for playing foul. You wanna say Wests boys were the ones picking fights? (maybe you're right, maybe Wests has a attitude problem) but We're not the team called the filth (cocky swaggar & foul play)

Brothers were a class outfit all over the park. They defended well and attacked ferociously in the 2nd half. The only things the Dogs dominated was in crowd support and at scrum time. When Brothers were 7 men down at Scrum time, The Dogs should of (should of, would of, could of) scored a 7 pointer right under the post but the referee indicated a knock on by Wests.

I have no idea if Brothers scrum is crap or if the Dogs front row is just that much more dominate but Wests seem to wheel that pack more times then often & the referee should of (should of, would of, could of) awarded us about handful of tighthead wins that he decided to reset for Brothers put in.

Xavier jenkins

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'd say more skilled in the front row at boring in and wheeling. They were very effective at it against the boys from Easts last week as well

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers were a class outfit all over the park. They defended well and attacked ferociously in the 2nd half. The only things the Dogs dominated was in crowd support and at scrum time. When Brothers were 7 men down at Scrum time, The Dogs should of (should of, would of, could of) scored a 7 pointer right under the post but the referee indicated a knock on by Wests.

I have no idea if Brothers scrum is crap or if the Dogs front row is just that much more dominate but Wests seem to wheel that pack more times then often & the referee should of (should of, would of, could of) awarded us about handful of tighthead wins that he decided to reset for Brothers put in.

Firstly, well done in having more supporters at a home game, great effort!
Secondly, your loose-head was angling in the whole first half which wheeled the scrum, once the referee corrected it, it stopped. To say Wests had the better scrum is quite ridiculous, because Brothers managed to hold out with 7 men. Seriously though mate, I reckon Wests are a good side, like a few more years and you fellas could be up there. Wests just lack attacking ability, but have the size, just probably a work in progress.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Secondly, your loose-head was angling in the whole first half which wheeled the scrum, once the referee corrected it, it stopped. To say Wests had the better scrum is quite ridiculous, because Brothers managed to hold out with 7 men. Seriously though mate, I reckon Wests are a good side, like a few more years and you fellas could be up there. Wests just lack attacking ability, but have the size, just probably a work in progress.

Clearly you have little or no experience at Scrum Time. But that's okay neither did Damien Mitchelmore.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Clearly you have little or no experience at Scrum Time. But that's okay neither did Damien Mitchelmore.

Okay, well is ridiculous to say Wests had a dominate scrum over Brothers when with 7 players, you still couldn't get a push-over try. So lets think about this, instead of saying stupid things like 'you have no experience at Scrum Time'.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

My comment about dominating in the crowd support was clearly a bit of sarcasm. Trying to find positives from this game (even though I was clutching for straws)

Okay, well is ridiculous to say Wests had a dominate scrum over Brothers when with 7 players, you still couldn't get a push-over try. So lets think about this, instead of saying stupid things like 'you have no experience at Scrum Time'.

FilthRugby.

Did you not witness that it was a knock on at the back of the scrum? This was Wests mistake & not the willpower of 7 scrum technicians in butcher stripes!!!

But good on Brothers for getting the clearing kick out of a very sticky situation. I was almost certain that the Dogs were going to walk away with 7 points in that specific situation.

Xavier jenkins

Frank Nicholson (4)
Was the knock on not forced by scrum pressure southernx? Or did I not see properly through my beer goggles haha. I must say it was a very entertaining game. I would imagine a few sore bodies wandering around today, very physical.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Was the knock on not forced by scrum pressure southernx? Or did I not see properly through my beer goggles haha. I must say it was a very entertaining game. I would imagine a few sore bodies wandering around today, very physical.

Don't know if it was the scrum pressure, looked to me the 8 for Wests just made a meal of it. Looked more like pressure from the number 9 from Brothers than scrum pressure.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
I think that is what rugbywatch was referring to. The U20's played Ireland this morning and lost.
Probably saving Kite for the NZ game.

I honestly dont know what this coach is on. By the looks of it he obviously hasnt been watching any club footy his Queensland players have been playing otherwise he would have had Kite starting. To not have him on the bench was ridiculous because of what he adds in terms of work around the park with his defence and ball running. Latu, Paraka and Hoskins are scrummaging props and in my opinion dont offer as much carrying the ball. What is the point of having 3 props who pretty much offer the same thing in terms of skill set? If a plan is not working do you then bring on a player who just continues the trend of the downward spiral? Ala'alatoa's selection ahead of Kite was also baffling.

Australia absolutely lacked a strong ball carrying force up front to unsettle the Irish ferocity at the breakdown which really stifled Australia's momentum by getting Australia at the ad line more often than not. If the coach had been doing his job he would also have started Ready ahead of Ngauamo based on recent club form. I rate Maile very highly and talent wise in terms of physical attributes I have him slightly ahead of of Ready but it became quite evident was what Australia needed was some real mongrel in close and Ready is the best option in those situations.

There seems to be a lot pre-determination about these selections based on theoreticals and not a hell of a lot hard facts which can be very easily attained if the coach did a bit of homework. Sadly he didnt seem to be doing that. UJ Seuteni underperformed, Meehan is a good year away from replicating the level of play he produced at schoolboy level, because he has to re-learn rugby union in a position where instinct is just as important as physical and sporting pedigree and can only be attained playing the game.

I get the impression not a hell of a lot of respect is given to paying attention to the Queensland group of players, with players who should of been picked missing out or benched and players who should not have been picked, being selected.

What is the point of saving Kite if Ireland were to win? A strategically very stupid move. The smarter option would of been to rest players against New Zealand if you were inclined to think that way. Absolutely bloody frustrating.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Tiger land I missed my beloved boys yesterday any match report to speak of?
It was a bit of a strange match considering the high scoreline. It was a very stop start game and both teams looked pretty sluggish out there. Credit to Norths, they weren't pretty but they gave it a good shot, they were ahead at the half.

Unfourtunately I don't remember many specifics from the match, but there was nothing really of note to point out.

As per usual Easts scored some entertaining tries from set-peice play. Toby White and Aiden Toua were our best in the backs, while it was hard to pick any stand-outs for the pack.

The best result about this is that with GPS loss, we go one point ahead of them to second place, and further the distance between us and University, Sunnybank and Souths.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wow Aiden Toua played Club Rugby on the weekend?

I assumed he might of been injured when you account for all the Wallabies missing & he didn't even feature in the REDS 22 man team against the Lions. (but it seemed strange Shipperley was on the bench, Reds do have a lot of depth at outside back)

Maybe Touas days are numbered at the Reds??? Was there any other Reds contracted players not featured in the Reds 22 on the weekend?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't know why you sound so suprised? Morahan, Davies, Lucas, Lance, Shipperely and Harris are all ahead of him right now, and rightfully so.

He will be there next year with Morahan, Ioane and Lance all leaving.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't know why you sound so suprised? Morahan, Davies, Lucas, Lance, Shipperely and Harris are all ahead of him right now, and rightfully so.

He will be there next year with Morahan, Ioane and Lance all leaving.

Is TOUA under contract next season?

I think the REDS might target Cummins & J'OC so maybe Toua is not needed.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Is TOUA under contract next season?

I think the REDS might target Cummins & J'OC so maybe Toua is not needed.

As far as I know his contract ends this season. I really hope the Reds resign him, and it should be likely with 3 outside backs already leaving. It would be a shame for the Reds to give up on a player they have invested so much into. I feel like it's a matter of when not if he turns his blinding footwork in club rugby into Super Rugby success. Unfortunately his previous appearances for the Reds have exposed some highball frailties, which hopefully were just nerves. They were looking at him as an outside centre a couple seasons ago when he won king of the gym. But the Reds are very well covered their with Faiinga, Tapuai and CFS.

I would assume the next 3 weeks will see a number of signings amongst all Super Rugby teams so let's all keep an eye out.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
I watched the Junior WC match V the Baby blacks yesterday and was astounded to not see Phil Kyte as one of the starting props and said to myself surely he must be on the bench, but no he was not even in the team!!!!!.

And I critically watched both halfbacks for the Junior wallabies and was not all that impressed, they did what they had to do behind a dominant forward pack but apart from chucking out the ball to the backline what else I ask???

I always maintain that to be a good HB you need to do more than just pass the ball you need a lot of other skills but I didn't see that in both the HB used for the JUnior Wobs.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
On the Wests match I thought that the Wests scrum was dominant but Brothers won the game with superior backs. A couple of things that I noted is that the ball didn't seem to get to Wests speedy wingers very often the Wests backline was shut down. I think that Sam Green is still very green (excuse the pun) he tries hard but while he is a talent maybe he should be playing in prem colts to gain some valuable experience. He is a sound goal kicker but his decision making by sometimes lofting the ball for up and unders is sometimes not the best decision. He looks to be struggling to come to terms with the actual pace of the game at times. In his defence if he gets through this season without to much damage to his body and confidence he will be a lot better player next season.

I'd actually like to see a more dominant HB than Genia playing he plays quite well but apart from having a good pass he doesn't do much else. I would like to see a tougher HB to take some runs and box kick more often, I'm sure that Wests would gain a bit more with some added aggression (and I don't mean biff). I also think that they missed Eares-Brown's (spelling?) speed on the wing, Tim Smith (normally a HB), although he is good is not a natural winger and has not got that outright speed that you need for the wing. In saying that he would be in my team as the HB in place of Genia or the would get half a game each in turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.