• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've seen a copy of the proposed draw for 2013 and below are the major points.
  • Season to start on 6 April
  • Full comp bye on 22 June (for Lions Test in Brisbane)
  • Full comp bye on 27 July (Super Rugby Semi Final weekend)
  • Grand Final 8 September
Earlier start to the year and earlier finish. I like the idea of the byes for the Lions test and hopefully a home Semi for the Reds.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Hurry Up 2013.

Hopefully these Full Comp Byes on 22/6 & 27/7 aren't going to be makeup game weekends for wet weather cancels.

The 2 Dogs vs Students matches played on Tues Night & Sunday Afternoon were great atmospheres.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hurry Up 2013.

Hopefully these Full Comp Byes on 22/6 & 27/7 aren't going to be makeup game weekends for wet weather cancels.

The 2 Dogs vs Students matches played on Tues Night & Sunday Afternoon were great atmospheres.

Midweek games for prem grade suck. Players need more time before and after games to prepare mentally and physically after work.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Jets can you confirm or deny the rumour of redlands being scrapped for wynum or ipswich?

I would love to see Ipswich get this opportunity. As I see far more potential in them sustaining a prem grade side in the future. The main reason is it has a GPS and AIC school that feed into it. Which is what every other Brisbane club has. The other reason is the Springfield developments which has health, education and IT jobs which will support twentysomethings who play at the level.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I imagine a colts team could be an issue for ipswich as most kids who would want to play rugby would head into the city to at least play it at a prem colts level the rest would usually play league

sunnysideup

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jets can you confirm or deny the rumour of redlands being scrapped for wynum or ipswich?
TD hearing a few whispers that one of the Coasts clubs may get the vacant spot. It is a much needed boost for these regions but I question whether they could gather the numbers to field a side. I think the stingrays would be better placed than the breakers infrastructure wise.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TD all I have seen is a proposed Premier draw. I'm not sure what is happening below that at the moment. After this year I can see good reason for Redlands to drop out as they struggled to filed teams for many games and you would think it would be better for the club to drop back to subbies and provide an environment where they can be competitive.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
TD hearing a few whispers that one of the Coasts clubs may get the vacant spot. It is a much needed boost for these regions but I question whether they could gather the numbers to field a side. I think the stingrays would be better placed than the breakers infrastructure wise.

Really Can't see this happening they can barely convince a squad of players to make the trips each week to brisbane let alone a whole club

TD all I have seen is a proposed Premier draw. I'm not sure what is happening below that at the moment. After this year I can see good reason for Redlands to drop out as they struggled to filed teams for many games and you would think it would be better for the club to drop back to subbies and provide an environment where they can be competitive.

Agreed its definately time and if we want logan to move to premier grade we need to have another club being groomed to step up with them. Ipswich could be viable if they managed to get the clubs like goodna and springfield around to join them but such a move would effectively kill sub districts competitions. But looking at the clubs in the sub district competitions i can't see any other option

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Not sure many want Logan to step up to Premier. They have good facilities but a lot of work would be need to be done before they are anywhere near ready to be a Premier team. On field they don't justify promotion as they didn't make finals in 1st Grade and the rest of their teams struggled. Their Juniors would be a positive though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They would have to play Subbies and it would be interesting to see what area they moved to. What are their motives behind doing this ECA?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't expect expansion for another 3 years but logan are next cab off the rank you would think.....

In other news there rumours some people at Easts might break away and start their own club. This to me is a stupid idea, but I cant imagine it being any players who take their footy seriously so it won't hurt the club too much.

Not like it hasn't happened before, there was easts riverside at one stage but that died off quickly....can anyone say why some people want to split from easts?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
oh really thought they went under at one stage....i knew a few lads who played there.

But interesting another satelite club is on the horizon

sunnysideup

Frank Nicholson (4)
"]Really Can't see this happening they can barely convince a squad of players to make the trips each week to brisbane let alone a whole club

I think you will be surprised TD, you heard it here first!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Can't be long now until this thread is a thrive of activity when all the regulars get excited for preseason and share 2nd hand gossip and unfounded innuendo.

DOGGIES 2013!!!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I guess preseason training starting will initiate more conversation SouthernX

F

FTM

Does this Facebook post from the Breakers solve the question of who'll replace Redlands in 1st grade?

BREAKERS FIRST PRE-SEASON TRAINING AT NEW HOME GROUND...BOND UNIVERSITY.

ALL GOLD COAST PLAYERS ARE INVITED AND ENCOURAGED TO TO COME AND TRIAL FOR THE BREAKERS 2013 COLTS, 1ST GRADE AND PREMIER TEAMS!

The Pre-season will be an open trial for any players wishing to compete in Premier Colts and Premier Rugby.

2013 is looking like an exciting year on the back of a number of successful Colts seasons and a promising Premier season;
A brand new home at Bond Uni
And the return of 1st grade which will allow for a larger grade squad.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
So there will be a 1st grade team for coast? sounds good but what about 2nd and 3rd grade and colts 1?
Doggies Pre-Season already started according to their website. Expect a big year for the dogs 2013 and the re emergence of the old powerhouse. I am not blowing smoke but from what i have heard things are looking like the best prem grade team since 07.
Anyone know where Shota Horie will be playing his club rugby next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.