• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts were never troubled by Wests yesterday. They were very dominant in the first half with Toua and Brandon at their freakish best, the bonus point was secured early.

The second half was very dour, lots of scrum resets and handling errors. A few sin-binnings did not help the match, although they were all warranted. The best for the tigers was Toua and for Wests his opposite Eyres-Brown.

Now there has been a lot of chat about this Sam Greene player on this forum, and my first impressions of him are not good at all.

I'm not going to get into a player because he had a poor game, but the way he handled himself in the second half was pretty pathetic. But first, his game play seemed very selfish, shown by the fact that he took a field goal from about 15m out when his side were down 24-3 and on the attack. He pushed a few passes as well and just didn't look like he was running the game very well. In his favour though I thought he defended quite well.

But my biggest gripe is with his foul play. He hit Matt Brandon late (and clearly intentionally) on two occasions and then had a go at him while on the ground, ran in from wide out to get involved in a scuffle, which managed to turn it into an all-in brawl. After which he went on to have a bit of a verbal with someone in the crowd.

I understand that there are players like this (Easts Josh Parry a perfect example), but for a kid who is one-year out of school, playing a poor game, his team is down by about 30 points, and he seems more concerned with starting fights and getting the crowd as offside as possible.

Bit of a rant, but I found it pretty pathetic. Hopefully this was just a one-off for him, but he did not leave a good impression on everyone watching.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am going to disagree with a large portion of what you have said tigerland12. I agree that toua and brandon where decisive factors in the first half.

However i disagree with mostly the rest, i managed to get down to this game to see both reserve and premier grade. I can say that both were very spiteful encounters. Sam Greene did do some of things you have said but from what i saw he was given just as good as he got. The kid is given a special treatment most weeks from what i have seen and heard and yesterday was no exception.

I would hardly call greene the big bad wold in duel of the 10s. I would suggest that most players in his position would have been fed up and from my memory of the brawl thats whats it was. Both teams fed up with each with players running in a distance from both sides to join the fraccas. His attack was dodge first half but like the whole team he really shored up in the second and his defence was very good throughout I thought.

I definitely disagree with your statements about eyres-brown being the best for wests, as from where i was sitting most wests people were less than impressed with his decision making and running (twice in a row he ran 30m sideways to run out of bounds). Best for me was either Sef fagaase or young lock jeremiah lynch.

Best for easts was Toua the man nearly teleports he is so quick

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Completely agree tiger land, he carried on like a pork chop when I watched him a few weeks ago as well. Also his mum was in the crowd yelling abuse when players and spectators took exception to his nonsense. I think theres a Long way to go and a lot of lessons to learn before he is up to the next level. Being promised his spot in premier grade and not having to earn it, probably didn't help this attitude.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Completely agree tiger land, he carried on like a pork chop when I watched him a few weeks ago as well. Also his mum was in the crowd yelling abuse when players and spectators took exception to his nonsense. I think theres a Long way to go and a lot of lessons to learn before he is up to the next level. Being promised his spot in premier grade and not having to earn it, probably didn't help this attitude.

In which game was this?

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watched Both brothers at brothers and GPS at GPS, was impressed with some of his skills but unimpressed by the way he carries on. IMO He is just an 18 yr kid who has shown some great promise, but should be plying his trade in colts and getting some time of the bench in prems. IMO he'd be much better off for it next year. Getting thrown in the deep end at a struggling club can often mess around with confidence, attitude and the progression of young players.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know he got into a fight with one of the Murphys in round One and copped a gob-full from the crowd. But, I don't know much about him, but anyone who can play in Prem Grade this young must be good. But if there is ever a provocative crowd it's Easts. Their biggest weapon is their crowd. But it's really good to get a bit of passion in local rugby.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Well moving away from the Greene conversation (the less said the better), Link has said the non-wallaby reds will be playing club rugby after the Lions game. So we could be seeing quite a bit of talent turning out at clubland over the next month or so.

University: Rod Davies, Luke Morahan, Mike Harris
Sunnybank: Albert Anae, Ben Tapuai, Ben Lucas, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Jake Shatz, Greg Holmes
GPS: Nick Frisby, Radike Samo, Anthony Fainga'a
Souths: Beau Robinson
Easts: Aiden Toua, Jarrad Buttler, Ed Quirk
Brothers: Dom Shipperely
Wests: Ed O'Donoghue (?)

Will be good to see more of these guys running out for their club. Although a lot of them have already played club rugby at some point this year.

Sunnybank to benefit the most by the looks of things.

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well moving away from the Greene conversation (the less said the better), Link has said the non-wallaby reds will be playing club rugby after the Lions game. So we could be seeing quite a bit of talent turning out at clubland over the next month or so.

Sunnybank: Albert Anae, Ben Tapuai, Ben Lucas, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Jake Shatz, Greg Holmes

Will be good to see more of these guys running out for their club. Although a lot of them have already played club rugby at some point this year.

I think you left out Quade Cooper and CFS (if he is well recovered) from the magpies there !!! And what do you know - Souths vs Easts 15 June.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Woops forgot Quade, I'm so used to seeing him in the Wallabies :(

I think CFS will head over to France with the U20's after the Lions game so I don't think he'll turn out for Souths.

I'm going to have to watch the game away from my clubs fanbase for that one, simply because I'm a massive Quade fanboy and I know he'll be getting a lot of stick.

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
Woops forgot Quade, I'm so used to seeing him in the Wallabies :(

I think CFS will head over to France with the U20's after the Lions game so I don't think he'll turn out for Souths.

I'm going to have to watch the game away from my clubs fanbase for that one, simply because I'm a massive Quade fanboy and I know he'll be getting a lot of stick.
You will be most welcome as it is Old Boys Day at the nest, and if Quade can play, the club would be crazy not to market to all the Brits in town with the BIL tour as one of the rare opportunities to see him.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You will be most welcome as it is Old Boys Day at the nest, and if Quade can play, the club would be crazy not to market to all the Brits in town with the BIL tour as one of the rare opportunities to see him.
Oh woops I automatically thought it was at Easts for some reason. Haha don't worry I was refering to the Easts crowd as hostile, not Souths.
And if they market it then dear lord Brisbane's worst car park will get messy.

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oh woops I automatically thought it was at Easts for some reason. Haha don't worry I was refering to the Easts crowd as hostile, not Souths.
And if they market it then dear lord Brisbane's worst car park will get messy.
I am sure they will squeeze in a couple of tour buses from the pig and whistle !! The Yeronga Pool have opened their parking on occcasions this season, if you dont mind a short walk. up.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wow One Eyed Tigers fans out in full force. (Gotta agree with ya FilthRugby)

I give total credit to the fact that Easts won, You were deadly in the outside backs and when you can win a lopsided field position battle with a steady boot of Brandon & a tall timbered lineout weapons of Enever & Stohlberg. It really helps you secure that bonus point early on in games. As you can camp & counter attack in opponents redzone quite easily.

But to paint Sam Greene as some little Todd Carney ONField Grub is just wrong. He gives what he gets! He has a Red target on his back week in n week out & he is just embracing the challenge of being best on field.

So what actually happened with the events surrounding the scrumtime Penalty Try? Did i not see Easts try & pull a swifty & go uncontested right after that yellow card? I saw the referee consult with the sideline referee & were they ended up forced to contest? I don't know what happened surrounding those events but Tigers could defiantly work on their scrum because this was one area the Dogs had all over them all day.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Ed's team graphic at REDS INTRODUCTIONS before kickoff indicates he plays for the Bulldogs. So I have no idea why you've got the questionmark.

But all those names you've listed, I am sure there'll be a couple of players taking the time to rest and recover from niggling injuries. A few of those guys (Butler, Holmes Beau) might not be available for club commitments as they'll be featuring in the QLD/NSW Combined Country team to take on the Lions in Newcastle sometime in that June touring window)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So what actually happened with the events surrounding the scrumtime Penalty Try? Did i not see Easts try & pull a swifty & go uncontested right after that yellow card? I saw the referee consult with the sideline referee & were they ended up forced to contest? I don't know what happened surrounding those events but Tigers could defiantly work on their scrum because this was one area the Dogs had all over them all day.
Bermingham is as good as useless at scrum time. It is a serious problem for someone who in the past has shown so much potential.

When Kirwan Sanday (who was being rested with Sean Cox) is playing with Kimmance or Parraka our scrum is actually rather strong. But given that Kimmo went off injured (I think) and we had one of the weaker reserve grade boys coming on it got ugly. I can't comment on that piece of play however, was too far away to make a judgement.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Wow One Eyed Tigers fans out in full force. (Gotta agree with ya FilthRugby)

I give total credit to the fact that Easts won, You were deadly in the outside backs and when you can win a lopsided field position battle with a steady boot of Brandon & a tall timbered lineout weapons of Enever & Stohlberg. It really helps you secure that bonus point early on in games. As you can camp & counter attack in opponents redzone quite easily.

But to paint Sam Greene as some little Todd Carney ONField Grub is just wrong. He gives what he gets! He has a Red target on his back week in n week out & he is just embracing the challenge of being best on field.
I can understand you standing up for Greene in this comment, so I was going to leave it because I'd do the same if it was one of Easts players being pointed out for doing the same thing (it's club loyalty). But to say he is "embracing being best on field" is a massive statement. Matty Brandon taught him a lesson on Saturday, and I'd assume Dallan Murphy did the same. He wasn't even close to being Wests best player.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I can understand you standing up for Greene in this comment, so I was going to leave it because I'd do the same if it was one of Easts players being pointed out for doing the same thing (it's club loyalty). But to say he is "embracing being best on field" is a massive statement. Matty Brandon taught him a lesson on Saturday, and I'd assume Dallan Murphy did the same. He wasn't even close to being Wests best player.

I didn't actually make the comment that he was best yesterday but generally he has been one of Wests better players week in/week out this season & he usually would be considered in the 3,2,1's discussion for my club.

The M.V.P of yesterdays game would of being wearing Blue & Yellow stripes! Probably somewhere in the Outside backs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it not Prem rugby, but can I state right here the club in Brisbane that I hold in lowest regard?? Norths came down to Logan yesterday and didn't put on a contested scrum in 1st,2nd or 3rd grade. It shows me a club with a real non rugby culture to me, noone here will convince me amonst those 3 teams they couldn't find at least 2 props so thay could start one game as a proper rugby game. If they can't they obviously should be made to pull some teams.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

I'm assuming you can throw Chibba Hanson & Jono Lance down for the Heavies as well. McDuling is looking to come back late June/early July I believe and Reiser in coming weeks as well. Well in need of experienced reinforcements.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd assume Chibba would be brought into the Wallabies squad as a 3rd choice hooker.
Will McDuling risk coming back? Or will this be his audition to keep/attain some sort of a Super Rugby contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.