• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I thought Brett Gillespie was a great choice for the Alec Evans Medal. Few would question his leadership, commitment and presence on the field and I'd argue that by attracting the attention of other teams he has allowed Greene the space to shine.

I can't think of any other player who has played for three different clubs (Uni, Brothers and Wests) and left on good terms with all. He'd also be welcomed wherever he went. He spoke beautifully at the Reds presentation do and he singled out Sam Greene.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
tigerland12

Reasons why "Player X" didn't win the Alec Evans award.

Matt Brandon: (Placid, Toua, Enever, Stoulberg, Butler, Paraka, Mullins, Gunn)

Jack Mullins: (see Matt Brandon)

Samu Kerevi: (See Matt Brandon, but replace with GPS star studded team, I.E Faaingas, Radike, Frisby, Toolis bros, Kite etc)

As Cat_A pointed out, the stronger the team the more the dilution of the votes were going to be. There's less standouts on Wests then there is on Easts & GPS.

I was sure it was going to be Sam Greene, just because what he did as a 18 year old this year was kind of freakish. But come to think about it, i think I remember more of the memorable games Greene was involved in (@ Sunnybank) & forgot about the not so great games, I'll call them average performances/learning experiences (@brothers)

As a Wests fan, I had to rewind the brain & think about the last bad game Dizzy played in. I think it would of been last year Wests vs Sunnybank where I believe Rex Tapuai ran in 2 tries against him (& that's gounds to be forgiven because everyone was saying in 2012 how Rex deserves a Reds contract)..

This year I can't recall a halfhearted performance from Gillespie. He was solid across the park.

Also remember this is an award handed out on the views from the referees. As a majority of drunken sideline fans would agree, they have no fricking clue ;-)

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I agree with Mr Stalwart.

Following this thread there is a disturbing appearance that the supporters of the blue and gold want to dictate who should win the awards, who souths supporters should barrack for when their team is eliminated. and are pretty vocal in their intense dislike for the dragons, the filth, the students and the gallopers. I am grateful that I don't associate with people like that.

Your generalisation of 'certain supporters' is both arrogant and insulting.

T

Tigers Tale

GPS 46 Uni 32 so it's GPS v Easts GF. Samu made a big difference. I say like last week one side turned up to play the other thought they'd win. Next will be a great GF as both side will turn up to play best attack v best defence. Only 7 more sleeps bring it on.

Any early predictions.

TT Easts Easts Easts

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
GPS 46 Uni 32 so it's GPS v Easts GF. Samu made a big difference. I say like last week one side turned up to play the other thought they'd win. Next will be a great GF as both side will turn up to play best attack v best defence. Only 7 more sleeps bring it on.

Any early predictions.

TT Easts Easts Easts

Well for starters, GPS actually scored 49 points. Uni snatched an intercept on fulltime from a GPS attack in Uni's 22, and by then only one GPS player chased. Everyone else were already enjoying the victory.
This was a very different GPS side to the one that went down to East's last weekend, and more reflects their position as minor premiers.
If I were an Easts supporter I'd be scared...very scared.:p

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Generally when one side turns up to win and the other doesn't, there are signs from the start. A one point half time margin tends to indicate that wasn't the case.

I agree that the centres for GPS were immense and they enjoyed the 10min player advantage. There were lots of errors from both sides, but I agree that the GPS side today reflected their minor premier standings. They were good.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I saw most of the game and it was a bloody good game! I thought University forwards were good, especially the tight-five.
I cannot get any rugby tips right this year. However, I'm picking Jeeps, a massive backline and some hard-running forwards, along with a good kicking game from Frisby and the 10 should do it.
It occurred to me today that penalties could decide the GF, so Jeeps should get the kicking tee out at training, because as we know Brandon can kick from anywhere. Plenty of Jeeps supporters out there today as well as from Varsity, so should be a big crowd for Sunday.

T

Tigers Tale

Generally when one side turns up to win and the other doesn't, there are signs from the start. A one point half time margin tends to indicate that wasn't the case.

I agree that the centres for GPS were immense and they enjoyed the 10min player advantage. There were lots of errors from both sides, but I agree that the GPS side today reflected their minor premier standings. They were good.

So sorry 46/49 what does it matter.

Sorry only saw the second half and Uni did do much in the 2nd half.

Scared? I don't think the tigers will be scared but they know they will have to step up next week and I think that there is certainly room for improvement in their attack. GPS didn't score a try in 80 minutes v Easts 7 days ago so they'll need to improve there as well but Samu definitely makes them a more dangerous team.

T

Tigers Tale

GPS definitely favourites being Minor Premiers and having put 49 points on the reigning Premiers. Well done GPS enjoy the favourites tag.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Faainga could potentially come back from the Wallabies to feature in Sundays game. You'd have to think that Stephen Moore gets through his 80 minutes uninjured & Sa'ai doesn't feature much in the Suncorp game.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
GPS bucking the trend of the last few years having the minor premiers actually make the grandfinal instead of getting knocked out in straight sets like UNI and brothers have over the last 2 seasons.

Big congrates them and Easts hopefully it's a cracker of a final.

Status
Not open for further replies.