• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Crusher - no insult re the migration to tigerland because you have elaborated that in your post that Easts are not the only beneficiary of Gold Coast talent.

Filth - you only have to look at 2013 to see an example of a side that won a premiership without any S15 players (except for Jarrad Butler who was a Reds reserve in 2013).

I have a feeling though that the 2014 Hospital Cup winners will contain quite a few Reds players.

It will be interesting to see what affect the NRC has on the timing of the end of the S15, the QPR finals and the NRC kicking off in future years. Might be that the clubs never get their S15 players back for the end of the season.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've said this before that I think GPS are currently sitting near the end of what has been a 3-4 years building process (essentially since Shane Arnold was appointed head coach) which nearly ended up coming to fruition in 2013.

They've brought some of these guys through like Kerevi, Kuridraniand Kite from the start of their careers into a position now where most of them will probably get fulltime contracts in some capacity for 2015. Its all been helped along the way by players such as Frisby, Radike and Sean McMahon who helped raise the profile of the team and contributed when needed, including to a lesser extent the Fainga'a bros. Lets not forget the club toilers either like Ferguson, Ellis and Gorman who have been essential to the team.

Taking all that into consideration and that some of these young stars may not be running around down at Yoku much next year I'd have to think 2014 is nearly at a must win stage before re-enter a bit of a rebuild. Even Shane Arnold's involvement with the Aussie 20s this year shows he may be on his way to bigger and better things. Yes, they have great colts coming through like Bobby Tuttle and Campbell Magnay but they'll still need time to reach full potential and may not be ready to make an aggressive attack on the Hospital Cup for a couple of years yet.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
. I find it unbelievable that we did not do enough to hold onto talent such as the Tapuai's, JB, the Cox's, Kimmo, Sef Faagase, Sam Fattal etc etc the list goes on and will continue to do so til we learn from the Souths, Tigers, GPS, UQ's of this world who have openly welcomed our players that we have had no idea how to look after.

I not sure where the others are from Crusher, but Sef Faagase doesn't drive up the M1, he Logan boy who travelled down the M1 when he was at Breakers.

T

Tigers Tale

TBD - I appreciate that GPS have this premiership window (as the AFL like to refer to it as) but I just hope for your sake that last year wasn't your chance to jump through that window. Timing is everything in sport.

Having said that when GPS won the Hospital Cup in 1996 they knocked off a star studded Souths outfit with a side of their own which contained three guys who would become Wallabies in Herbert, Tune & Cockbain.

BTW how is Ben Tune going? - I hope he's doing okay because he thrilled a lot of people with what he did on the rugby pitch. Wow what an athlete!!

Herbert and Tune were definitely RWC99 winners but was Cockbain also in the Wallabies RWC99 side?

On the topic of the RWC - RWC15 will be the third time that the RWC will be held in the UK (previously in 1991 & 1999) and who won it on those two occasions - Australia!!

More RWC Trivia if Australia was to pull off the 2015 RWC - I think Ewen McKenzie would be the first person to win a RWC as player(1991) and coach?

RWC winning coaches:
1987 Brian Lochore
1991 Bob Dwyers
1995 Kitch Christie
1999 Rod McQueen
2003 Clive Woodward
2007 Jake White
2011 Graham Henry

(The hardest one here was Kitch Cristie - that would be some type of trivia question)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good topic choice, TT!

I know Martin Johnson was up for that accolade after captaining the winning 2003 team and then went onto be head coach for the 2011 RWC-Which didn't end so good.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A bit of trivia for you, TT.

Obviously there have been two Australian captains who've held up the Webb Ellis Cup. One played for Sydney University, the other played for a Queensland Club- who was it and who did he play for?

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - I am sure that Ealesie couldn't have done it without the help of Paddy McGrath!!

I loved Jets angle on this one.

Have Brothers or QLD Uni had more Wallaby Captains?

I know David Wilson captained the Wallabies in a few test but I think they lost them all - the first time he was captain that got towelled by the South Africans.

Wallaby Captains isn't Easts strong suit but how many Brother's Players have been sent home (not through injury) from a Wallaby tour? Easts have 1 in this category - Ross Cullen (a hooker) he was sent home from the 1966-67 UK tour.

Wikipedia says - the 2nd match of the tour – Queensland hooker Ross Cullen was accused of biting the ear of Oxford front-rower Ollie Waldron. Waldron's ear needed treatment and McLaughlin acted to ban Cullen from the tour as punishment. Cullen was put on the next flight to Sydney and never played for his country again.

Legend has it that the coach/manager (McLaughlin) was rather anti-QLD and wanted Cullen sent home so the no.2 hooker who also played for his Sydney Club - Syd Uni I think - could start in the test matches. Even back then there was conspiracy against the Tigers!!!

Do you recall who was the Brother's player before Eales (in terms of Bros players) to captain the Wallabies?

T

Tigers Tale

How remiss of me - Easts have claim Ben Mowen as a Tiger to have Captained the Wallabies even if it was just for a brief moment in time.

And David Codey coached Easts in mid 1990s when he came over from GPS with Grant Batty and brought Richard Graham with them.

T

Tigers Tale

Good one - I'll use that someday.

I wonder whether the man himself actually remembers that?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TT. Cockbain was blindside in that 99 RWC team.

Also I think you undersell your man Wilson. I think he may have won a Bledisloe Cup. Did we not win in 2000? Eales was crook and Wilson was skipper I think.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think the Heavies have had more with 10 (or 9) to 7. That's due to Sharpe, Horwill and Moore in the past decade. (Wallabies captains)

Brothers use to beat Uni in every category I.e. Premierships won, Wallabies and Reds players, captains of both, etc. But since University have had great success in the last few years (10 or so) they've taken a few records back to St Lucia.

I can't see Brothers next captain coming anytime soon, unless Shippers can skipper on the wing or JOC (James O'Connor) (if he comes to the Reds) some how turns into an angel.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
TT. Cockbain was blindside in that 99 RWC team.

Also I think you undersell your man Wilson. I think he may have won a Bledisloe Cup. Did we not win in 2000? Eales was crook and Wilson was skipper I think.

Reg, I think many people undersell Wilson, he was premium. Would have looked great in the butcher stripes as well!

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the Heavies have had more with 10 (or 9) to 7. That's due to Sharpe, Horwill and Moore in the past decade. (Wallabies captains)

Brothers use to beat Uni in every category I.e. Premierships won, Wallabies and Reds players, captains of both, etc. But since University have had great success in the last few years (10 or so) they've taken a few records back to St Lucia.

I can't see Brothers next captain coming anytime soon, unless Shippers can skipper on the wing or JOC (James O'Connor) (if he comes to the Reds) some how turns into an angel.

Well Filth, at least Brothers have produced more All Black captains than University!

Status
Not open for further replies.