• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Results

Brothers 37 d Souths 28
University 54 d Bond 10
Jeeps 52 d Wests 17
Easts 50 d Norths 17

And before you start your usual biased, one eyed, blue and gold preaching, please keep in mind you haven't defeated a top 4 team in the second half of the season yet, TT.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nah, I love your chat, TT. Our valuable arguments takes up half this forum.

Your 'do or die' match is against Uni away next week, probably followed by Brothers a few weeks later.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bond uni looking for a full time coach next year and they should be able to attract some high caliber candidates as the package is worth $200 grand according to the bond president.

Tommy B

Bob McCowan (2)
Andrew scotney is coaching kubota in japan with toutai kefu who is head coach.

I hope a young coach gets a chance in the NRC.

Pat Byron was Eddie Jones' assistant coach for 4 years, surely that is a pretty good grounding for an NRC assistants job.

matho was assistant coach of qld 20's and shane Arnold Aussie 20's assistant, both have also done good jobs at their clubs.

Will be interesting to see who gets Bond job. I think they will go with a former super XV coach or international player, they will definitely want someone with 'profile'.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Geez $200k is a lot of money to coach a non-professional rugby team, guess they really wanna get their rugby program kicking. If they have that type of money for a coach it makes me think they'll be throwing some dollars behind recruiting for 2015, similarly to when Sunny Coast snagged Toutai Kefu and Caleb Ralph a few years ago. It is good to see the Gold Coast with more teams in the competition this year though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's more than Phil Mooney was on at the Reds a while back. They will have a host of people apply for that. Seems like a bit of overkill to me. They could probably spend the money on the development of the game on the Coast and provide a real pathway for players from school into senior grades.

T

Tigers Tale

I'll let that one pass SX, I am more interested in the Tigers game this week v Uni, but would love to see your boys rally and knock off Brothers this Saturday.

Will Greene get a hostile welcome back to Sylvan Rd?

Even after the result of the Bros v Souths game the race for the fourth spot is still a three horse race between Brothers, Easts & Souths.

SNBK(39):Sou, Wes, Nor, Eas, GPS;
BROS(38): Wes, Nor, Eas, GPS, Uni
EASTS(34): Uni, GPS, Bro, Snb, Bon
SOUTHS(33): Snb, Bon, Bye, Uni, Wes

The Uni v Easts,and Souths v Sunnybank games this weekend are crucial encounters in the context of the season. Losses for Easts and Souths will hurt both sides but a loss to Sunnybank opens up the race for 3rd as well.

High stakes ahead over the next 5 weeks - it will come down to the last round with Round 18 being:
Uni v Bros;
GPS v Snbk;
Souths v Wests;
Easts v Bond

The temperatures are dropping but QPR 2014 is just hotting up!!

T

Tigers Tale

Cat_A - I don't think there would be a coach or assistant coach in QPR who wouldn't give it some consideration - I know Bond are sitting in 8th spot but they aren't too far off the mark - they can score a try and remember they knocked off Sunnybank this year.

If they were to pick up a few players in crucial positions then they are a top 4 side in no time, and when they are travelling well they will be hard to beat at home.

I would be very surprised if Richards, Heenan, Arnold, Matheson, Broad, Byron, Drahm, Sampson, aren't all giving it some consideration.

Heather

Bob McCowan (2)
But how long will that funding for one person last for? I can see some similarities to Sunny Coast a few years ago- and that fell over only a few short years later. I do not profess to have a business brain- but surely continual investing in the club - facilities / equipment / even involvement in the multiple 7s etc tournaments around the place instead of a person would stand the club in better position over the long term?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm with Heather on this one. It doesn't sound like a very good investment. You really need to improve the program and paying one person such a huge sum of money isn't the way to do it. It's like paying players, long term you don't get any return as they will leave and you have nothing for your spend. You'd be better off paying someone $80K and investing $120K in other areas.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TT I like your faith in the Dragons but they are 1 point ahead of the Filth and if they loose this weekend could end up in 5th or 6th spot.

Souths probably are most likely to miss out as they still have a bye to come but I don't think they can be written off just yet.

T

Tigers Tale

Jets that's why I listed Sunnybank's run home m in the earlier post.

A Souths win on Saturday will clearly enhance their chances but a loss will probably finish them off;

A Sunnybank loss will put them in the race for a Minor semi spot but a win elevates them to a Major semi chance.

Losses by anyone over the next month will hurt the loser's chances.

I think a loss for Souths this week will be fatal to their chances and a Tiger's loss will not kill them off but it will put them on wood.

I think it is still going to take a big effort by Souths or Easts to make it, but both these south side clubs will do everything within their powers to make it.

They'll both be cheering for an Easts win over Brothers in Round 16.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Some wins over Uni and GPS would be much appreciated too. I think Easts, Souths and Brothers all have the opportunity to make this happen.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I haven't watched an Easts game for a month now due to work or other commitments, TT care to give me a run down on how they are going?

I've heard Wilkin is really making a fist of it, pretty keen to watch him for the finest time.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
EASTS(34): Uni, GPS, Bro, Snb, Bon-can be very dangerous.

TT, Easts have the hardest run home out of anyone. But, more importantly, I think the big contest is for 2nd spot, not 4th. If Brothers and Easts knock off GPS (both away games for the Gallopers) then it can be a different story for both Sunnybank or Brothers.

Likewise with T-12, due to other things I only made a little bit of the Crosby Park game. Souths are a good side. They can still make the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.