• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree Easts were the better team & deserved the win.
Wests were unlucky not to be at full strength missing some of their best players.

Another year the dogs have to wait for the Paul Mooney Cup.

Btw does anyone have an update on UJ? It seemed like a serious injury. I swear it's either TOUA or UJ getting carted off when they play the dogs.

Hopefully UJ has a speedy recovery because Easts will need him enroute to the post season.

T

Tigers Tale

SX it did seem like a very serious injury to UJ let's hope it's not as bad as first thought.

He has been playing great footy and will be sorely missed with the big 4 just around the corner.

Gunn & Wilkin are outstanding talents and Easts are very lucky to have their services.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You're getting closer to the Filth on the ladder. I think Easts will overtake Souths at some point.

I've got a question for some of our avid Souths supporters; do any of you remember a Grand-Final either against Wests or Easts (think it was Wests), when Souths were behind 33-0 at half time? Kefu(s) came off the bench and Souths won 34-33!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Premier » Premier

Team P W L D Fft Opp Fft F A Df BP <7p BP 4t Pts
University of Queensland 11 10 1 0 0 0 411 192 219 0 9 49
Sunnybank 11 7 4 0 0 0 377 216 161 3 8 39
GPS 10 7 2 1 0 0 320 252 68 1 8 39
Brothers 10 7 3 0 0 0 278 200 78 1 4 33
Souths 11 6 5 0 0 0 286 296 -10 2 6 32
Easts 10 5 4 1 0 0 254 225 29 2 5 29
Wests 11 2 9 0 0 0 267 357 -90 4 4 16
Bond University 11 2 9 0 0 0 197 375 -178 2 1 11
Norths 11 1 10 0 0 0 208 485 -277 1 3 8
P=Played W=Wins L=Losses D=Draws Fft=Forfeits Opp Fft=Opposition Forfeits F=Points For A=Points Against Df=Points Difference BP <7p=Close Losses BP 4t=Four Tries Pts=Ladder Points

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So Uni are pretty safe to make the 4. The next few weeks will be interesting. Brothers v Souths will be a big game this weekend. Also Sunnybank will slip down the ladder with the bye.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth the gap is narrowing!!

Table after Round 12
UNI 49
SNB 39
GPS* 39
BRO* 33
SOU 32
EAS* 29

* - Teams who have had their second bye.

If the Tigers can get the points against Norths this week - which won't be easy because they have played some good footy recently and Easts always find them a difficult opponent - then depending on the Bro v Sou result they could jump one of those teams and with Snb having the bye they could be in striking distance of them also.

Crunch time for the tigers is just around the corner though with round 14 -17 opponents being UNI(A), GPS(H), BRO(H) & SNB(A). I think they'll need to win 3 of these and round 17 will probably see a Reds enhanced Snb.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Souths played quite well against GPS and had their moments that made the GPS supporters quite nervous. Tuttle from GPS had a fine game, he's got a beautiful pair of soft hands, although he slipped off a tackle that should have been made from which the Souths centre strolled through next to the posts just before half time. I think Souths bench let them down. They didn't seem to have enough strength in their reserves, at a critical time in the match, which maybe reflected in their Prem Reserves getting done 50 -0.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Filth you'll obviously want to win the one game of the year that truly matters: Uni Old Boys v Brothers Old Boys (to be played as a 20min curtain raiser before the game at Uni in July).

While I think a game of such magnitude clearly deserves its own thread, there are probably some crusty busted up old blokes interested parties on this thread. You have to be over 35 to play in what I'm sure will be an unnecessarily violent a willing encounter in front of a packed licensed grandstand.

Even more entertaining is that players will, wherever possible, be playing in their old Uni jerseys. Scissors will be available after the game to free some of the players from the constrictive cotton.

Uni's troops will be marshalled by Shaun "Fat Bum" Barry, and one player will be flying from London to Brisbane for only 30 hours just so he can play. Dayks will be somewhere on the field (others may know him by another name...) in a utility role(?). While I know of other Uni names, I'm not sure if they have received clearance to play from their wives yet so I'm reluctant to get them in trouble this far out.

There will be "training sessions" - touch games where players will be able to stretch their hamstrings for the first time since they retired, and test their speed and reminisce about "how much easier this used to be". Should be a great day, especially considering the club night to follow the Prems game will be the inimitable "rude kit night".

Any Brothers people feel free to jump in with news from Crosby.

T

Tigers Tale

The QRU has released the player allocation/selection criteria, it is as follows:

In relation to the allocation of Players to the two QLD NRC Teams the following considerations will be taken into account:

Requirements as per current CBA and NRC player contracting guidelines.

Allocation of players will be based on the following:

§ Place of birth
§ Junior Club Representation
§ Senior School Representation
§ Club where majority of Senior Rugby has been played

Further to the above, the following High Performance considerations will be taken into account:

1. Ensure there is no positional conflict for contracted players in any of the teams
2. Player retention

3. Development of key succession plan players
4. Developing key combination

5. Player availability
a. Level of experience
b. Injury status

Further it has been confirmed that Stiles will be the head coach of the Brisbane team and Meehan the Country side.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth I think you'll get the cash against Souths so you won't drop to 6th just yet.

But you do have a tough run in: Easts (Round 16), GPS(17) & UNI(18), so you wouldn't want to go without this weekend v Souths.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NOT Nick Stiles. Why not give one of the QPR coaches a go, I.e. Pat Richards? I'm absolutely filthy (no pun intended).

T

Tigers Tale

A few days ago I posted a well done to Will Genia for pulling on the Wests jersey - now I appreciate that he was probably wanted to test out his injured ankle in game time but good on him for pulling on the Wests jersey and he was still making a dart from the back of a ruck in the 80th minute.

Very pleased to see him return to a club that he has a history with rather than running out for Sunnybank or Uni with the other Reds.

Lachlan Turner was at Bottomley to watch his club side run around - it will be interesting to see if the Reds want him to have a run around for the Tigers this weekend ahead of the S15 resuming.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - I think you will find that some of the QPR coaches will be appointed assistant coaches to these guys.

As a sign of mutual respect - I would be happy to see Matho appointed as an assistant - in fact I'd be happy for any club coaches to get a gong.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I find it more than a coincidence that the QRU announce the criteria for the NRC the same day that Cat reveals the Uni Old Boys v Brothers Old Boys Game. I think this will from now on be known as "The selection trial".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Lachlan Turner was at Bottomley to watch his club side run around - it will be interesting to see if the Reds want him to have a run around for the Tigers this weekend ahead of the S15 resuming.
Lachie might just be a lover of good club rugby as he was out at sunnybank v uni the week before

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
NOT Nick Stiles. Why not give one of the QPR coaches a go, I.e. Pat Richards? I'm absolutely filthy (no pun intended).

I'm not to unhappy with Stiles being given the Brisbane team. He has done some good work with the forward pack and I'd like to see him given the responsibility of leading the team.

Also he has coach at Premier level before and it creates more of a pathway for coaches, something that is lacking currently. It would be great to have a couple of Premier coaches involved as assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.