• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Filth far too much water has to pass under the bridge to start thinking what the final four will be but I know one thing - it is still going to be a great effort if the Tigers manage to get that last spot.

At about the same time last year Easts were no certainties to make the four then a few sides fell of the pace and they managed to get a major semi spot.

One would think that maybe Uni, Sunnybank and GPS will take the first three spots and then it is for Brothers, Souths & Easts to fight it out for the 4th spot.

That is why last Saturday's result was so important to Easts, and why GPS v Souths this weekend and then Brothers v Souths the week after are important games in regards to the finals make-up - worth double points really those games.

Easts are still not at the same level as 2013 but the defensive effort last Saturday v Souths was the best they've done since the Sydney Uni game. They beat Bond Uni on the back of a fine first half defensive effort also.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Not a bad looking photo.

Norths managed their first win of the season against strong finishing Wests at Sylvan Road on Saturday. The Norths First-Five, Sebastian Filipe opened the scoring with a great try which he also converted. Tonga Ma'afu, playing hooker this week after the demotion of Bart Ritchie, then fooled the entire defence line of Wests with a magnificent dummy, and an even better 60m run that setup another try, this time scored by Saula Vuaca under the posts. Another try was then scored by Norths, with the conversion being missed, while Wests scored one themselves to leave the score at 19-5 at halftime. Norths had placed themselves in the box seat for their first win of the season.

The first try of the second half was controversial as Veresa Mataitini was given a dubious short ball, in front of the referee. However, it was missed and Vuki broke two West defenders and plopped the ball down under the posts. With the score now at 26-5, the Doggies needed a miracle. Then, after a break by the Wests backline, Vuki was sin-binned for a cynical killing of the ball. Wests were able to capitalise, scoring two tries in quick succession, bringing the score to 26-20, with five minutes to go. With both teams back to a full contingent, and the clock winding down, the play became very physical as the players fought tooth and nail to land the winning blow. And then... With 80 minutes up, nails were being bitten by Norths fans and Westies had their hearts in their mouths, as the Wests Winger George Morseau scored a try after gassing two of the Norths backs. The kick was for the win and was about 15 metres in from the sideline. Alas, though, the miracle was not to be as the kick was pushed across the face of the goalposts. The Final score being 26-25. A good hard final 20 made this game very memorable, with Norths being able to hold out for the win. Credit must go to Wests though, for hosting a great day and for pushing the game until the final whistle.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
All the uni reds boys, bar kev and chibb, were down at training on Tuesday night. I don't think paty305 will be getting his wish as most of them had their boots

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
With the Reds players predominately going back to two clubs, I think it will really spoil this season. 2014 has been the most contested and close competition I've seen in many years. In my opinion it's disappointing to see.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
And if it was Brothers having 5 or 6 representative players coming back I would still share similar sentiment. I just cannot stand a finals series similar to the Shute Shield.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Paty I was at the Norths v Wests game on the weekend, which I thoroughly enjoyed as a spectacle.

I gave MOM to your little open side Matt Ika, who was sensational. His aggression at the ruck was key to that first half dominance. What's his story/ background do you know?

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Paty I was at the Norths v Wests game on the weekend, which I thoroughly enjoyed as a spectacle.

I gave MOM to your little open side Matt Ika, who was sensational. His aggression at the ruck was key to that first half dominance. What's his story/ background do you know?
@RugbyReg - Ika was a part of the talented BSHS side that clean swept the GPS comp in 2009. He went on to play QLD Schoolboys alongside Browning, Sautia, & co before being selected for Aust. He played a few seasons for Souths Prem Grade before making the move across the river.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Think Gill and Taps will play for the Dragons again this weekend. Rumour has it that Holmes may play too.

T

Tigers Tale

Party 305 - good luck v the RED Heavies this weekened but you'll be right the next week against Easts as Quirk, Toua & Turner are all injured.

Filth - I can't agree with your dislike of the Reds returning to club land I think it lifts the standards of QPR - if you want to be the best you have to beat the best.

It is no different from the 1970s/80s when you had to play for Brothers/Uni to make the QLD side and they dominated the competition. I don't think you would have complained back then when Shaw, McLean, Moon, etc use to play for Aust on the Saturday and then turn out for the Filth on the Sunday!!

If Reds didn't come back and play for their clubs we wouldn't have seen this:

http://www.virals.eu/2013/07/michael-gunn-cuts-wallaby-rod-davies-in-two-with-big-tackle/

Lets hope that there is an opportunity for an unknown Norths flanker to chop down some big names on the weekend.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Party 305 - good luck v the RED Heavies this weekened but you'll be right the next week against Easts as Quirk, Toua & Turner are all injured.

Filth - I can't agree with your dislike of the Reds returning to club land I think it lifts the standards of QPR - if you want to be the best you have to beat the best.

It is no different from the 1970s/80s when you had to play for Brothers/Uni to make the QLD side and they dominated the competition. I don't think you would have complained back then when Shaw, McLean, Moon, etc use to play for Aust on the Saturday and then turn out for the Filth on the Sunday!!

If Reds didn't come back and play for their clubs we wouldn't have seen this:

http://www.virals.eu/2013/07/michael-gunn-cuts-wallaby-rod-davies-in-two-with-big-tackle/

Lets hope that there is an opportunity for an unknown Norths flanker to chop down some big names on the weekend.
TT, I agree that everybody benefits when the rep players turn out for their clubs but I also think that in the 70's/80's it was far more common for these players to be seen playing for their clubs. I think the frustration felt not only by the opposition but also the players having to move down a grade to make room for the rep boys was less as a result of this.

You used Shawry as an example, for QLD and Australia he was capped 148 times, James Horwill has 149 combined caps for QLD and Australia. Tony Shaw played over 120 First Grade matches for Brothers, I would be surprised if James has played more than 10 Premier grade matches.

I don't have a solution, times have changed and the game has moved on. The national championship will fill a bit of the void I guess and give blokes a chance to test themselves and improve but ultimately the clubs, their players and supporters are poorer for not having more on field involvement from the elite players.

T

Tigers Tale

Round 12 - 14/06/2014
Easts v Wests
Bond Uni v Sunnybank
GPS v Souths
University v Norths
Brothers v Bye

Filth if the Tigers defeat Wests this weekend they'll be within striking distance of the Filth and depending on the GPS v Souths result they could also be within striking distance of Souths and/or GPS. It could be a very congested table after round 12, and then in round 13 Bros v Souths, and Sunnybank have a bye.

Premier Grade Table
Team; Played; Points
University of Queensland; 10; 44
Sunnybank;10; 34
GPS; 9; 34
Brothers; 10; 33
Souths; 10; 30
Easts; 9; 24

Status
Not open for further replies.