• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I have issues with Stiles/Meehan developing some of our QLD Reds in the NRC on account that Richard Graham job appears safe if his assistants take the fall.

Why not bring in RG new assistants for 2015 as so stiles/Meehan aren't a pair of lame duck coaches?

Nash Nash

Frank Row (1)
A few days ago I posted a well done to Will Genia for pulling on the Wests jersey - now I appreciate that he was probably wanted to test out his injured ankle in game time but good on him for pulling on the Wests jersey and he was still making a dart from the back of a ruck in the 80th minute.

Very pleased to see him return to a club that he has a history with rather than running out for Sunnybank or Uni with the other Reds.

Lachlan Turner was at Bottomley to watch his club side run around - it will be interesting to see if the Reds want him to have a run around for the Tigers this weekend ahead of the S15 resuming.

Lachlan Turner is down for 40 minutes this weekend v's Norths

T

Tigers Tale

Would be great to see him(Turner) in a blue and gold jersey.

It is just great for the players to play alongside and to test themselves against the s15 players.

T

Tigers Tale

Trivia

Did Will Genia play his last two club games against Easts?

I recall in about the last round of 2010 that he played for Norths v Easts at Bottomley.

I don't think he ever ran out for the Stingrays - so his game for Wests on Saturday may well have been his first since 2010.

Nash Nash

Frank Row (1)
Trivia

Did Will Genia play his last two club games against Easts?

I recall in about the last round of 2010 that he played for Norths v Easts at Bottomley.

I don't think he ever ran out for the Stingrays - so his game for Wests on Saturday may well have been his first since 2010.

I think you are correct, I know his last game for Norths was against Easts at Bottomley.

T

Tigers Tale

An NRC query

Will players signed by other Aust'n Franchises for 2015 play for the other Franchise's affiliated NRC side or for the QRU NRC sides? e.g. Mike Harris, Jonah Placid

Will players heading overseas be required to play in the NRC e.g. Aidan Toua?

Gee there are some fullback options leaving the Reds - Toua, Harris, Placid, Davies. Does this point to the fact that JOC (James O'Connor) &/or Karmichael Hunt are already (or near) signed by the Reds for 2015?

T

Tigers Tale

I'm predicting that Mike Harris' final game in QLD will be a grand final for Uni Red Heavies. It would be nice if Jonah Placid's was in that same game!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the Grand final might be the final swansong for a few Reds players. Don't think any will be in gold and blue at this stage TT. Can all change pretty quickly though. The next few weeks will be very interesting.

T

Tigers Tale

Well aware of that Jets - If you were framing a market for the GF - shortest odds would be on the promoters dream GF between the big guns Uni & Sunnybank.

Easts rode their luck last year in terms of a good playing roster, low injury toll and fact that Uni & Sunnybank were a bit off their norm. They aren't experiencing the same run this year but they're still in the race at present but the next month will determine their fate that's for sure.

After this week against Norths, Easts play Uni(A), GPS(H), Bros(H) & Sunnybank(A).

They probably need to win all of these (maybe they can afford to drop 1) and if they do that then they may well have the momentum and confidence to do some damage in the finals.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Souths fate will be known in the next 2 weeks I would think. The Filth then Sunnybank. If they win these 2 they are in the 4 but if they drop both games they are gone.

T

Tigers Tale

Refabit is that all you have to add??? Please!!!

Referee's Association must be in a good place if this is the type of positive attitude that you and your colleagues pass on to the Junior Referees.

If your beef with me dates back to comments I made about a certain referee earlier this year - I think you will find that my comments (before they were removed) were not just related to his handling of Easts games but across the board.

I know my personal opinion of that referee is shared by some other contributors to this forum and some of his referee colleagues - one said to me recently - "I honestly don't know why he is still running around"!!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
21/06/2014 » Souths
28/06/2014 » Wests
5/07/2014 » Norths
12/07/2014 » Easts
19/07/2014 » GPS
26/07/2014 » University of Queensland

Brothers run home.

Geez, it's going to be tough to get through those fixtures undefeated! Personally, I think Wests (A), Easts (A), GPS (H) and UQ (A) are crucial to win, irrespective if they make the finals in 4th spot and I'll give you the reason why!

Beating teams towards the back end of the season really does lift the morale when playing in the finals. I recall in 2011, Brothers beat University in the regular fixtures, before beating them in the Major Semi-Final. In 2013, University beat Brothers in the final round, before beating them in the Minor-Semi Final.

If Easts didn't belt Brothers in the second last regular fixture, I doubt they would have beat GPS in the final.

I'm only using Brothers as an illustration here.

T

Tigers Tale

I agree with you Filth - A first!!

Momentum and confidence is crucial leading into the finals.

In 2013 Easts lost to Souths & GPS in rounds 11 & 12, then drew with Uni in round 13 and then went onto win their next 7 games including two defeats of GPS in the finals.

Brothers, Souths or Easts would probably have to go through undefeated from this point to be there for the big dance - GF 2014.

Filth - Shipperley is apparently heading to the Rebels as well - according to today's Australian - what is going on at Herston with back 3 options.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No doubt TT it changes some factors in the side. It's a great opportunity for the young wingers to show their class, though.

Nothing would be better then seeing a Reds-less Brothers knock off Jeeps, Uni and Easts.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - for Bros they are pretty well placed for talented back three options so you'll be right on that front but Shipperley has been a real stalwart for your club.

A real shame that injury probably struck him as his rep career was taking off.

Along with Turner he was The Reds best wing option this year.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
If premier coaches were to be given an opportunity (which I think would be a great incentive) who would be the front runners? Richards has obviously done QLD A stuff in the past. Pat Byron has coached in Japan, Michael Broad in Andorra all in a professional environment and obviously Heenan has been a mainstay during Uni's success of recent times. Matho is obviously doing great things at Brothers too. What about some Brisbane based coaches with pro experience not currently aligned with a club like Todd Dammers or Andrew Scotney? Michael O'Connor is also around Brisbane too.
Thoughts????

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it would be best to reward coaches who are running successful programs and have done for a period of time. Also they have to fit in with what the next level are trying to achieve. I don't think that experience as a professional coach is a requirement, otherwise we could get Jeff Miller and Andrew Slack out.

Status
Not open for further replies.