• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Souths - Need change, Michael Broad has presided over 2 seasons of 6th place finishes. They have had some good results however are too inconsistent. They have bled quality players and there are growing rumblings about his coaching style and the way in which Reserve Grade have been left for dead this season. Maybe time for new a direction at the Nest

I think this is a bit harsh on Broady. The Souths team have done will in the last couple of seasons and have pushed towards the top 4. I seem to recall them not being great in 2012 before he took over.

Also wasn't the previous guy disliked by the players too? Maybe it's a culture thing there? maybe they are recruiting the wrong coaches for their demographic?

T

Tigers Tale

I agree Jets - Broad seems like a good guy and a good coach.

Losing Muirhead, Kefu, etc hasn't help their cause this year.

Is it just the players that need a good hard look at themselves or could it be that the Board/Management need to also look in the mirror as well because you need to treat people appropriately and what has happened to Doubles could not be good for the karma at the club.

I don't want to take a pot shot at Souths here but why do so many sons of former Souths players play at Easts? Why do they fail to attract Old Boy support?

I don't know what the make up of the Board is at Souths but are they people who have a long running association with the club and understand the culture at the place?

There are four former players on the Board at Easts (Stoddart, Box, Mowen & anor) and despite the fact that Easts would love to have greater success across the board, the Board (Now led by Stoddart & previously by Peter Murdoch) has done a great job turning the club around from a difficult financial position just only 4/5 years back.

The one club (Seniors & Juniors) approach has certainly worked for Easts, Brothers, Sunnybank and GPS it would seem and that only comes about from coordinated cooperation of many at these club.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi Guys, I have just found this forum and thought I would add to the discussion!

Great stuff from Brothers flying the teams out to Roma, will certainly be great for the game.

The GPS vs Easts game is a big one this weekend, it's looking pretty likely we will be without Johnson, which was expected anyway when he was taken off after only a short stint against Norths. There are a few good players coming through the grades that will be able to fill the void. Unfortunately Winkley will still be out for a few more weeks with his hammy.

Also, good luck to Samu with his starting debut, he is a true player of the future.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I think this is a bit harsh on Broady. The Souths team have done will in the last couple of seasons and have pushed towards the top 4. I seem to recall them not being great in 2012 before he took over.

Also wasn't the previous guy disliked by the players too? Maybe it's a culture thing there? maybe they are recruiting the wrong coaches for their demographic?

Nah Jets the last guy ( Dan McKellor) got a gig with the Brumbies just before last season kicked off and Broad bought in as last minute replacement. My (limited) understanding is that McKellor was very popular and a big loss. pretty sure he played a lot of his club career at the nest to.

I think Broad has done ok with an inherited squad in his first year, but for whatever reasons, he couldn't cobble together the squad he had hoped for this year and lot of players moved on for personal reasons or didn't fit in to his plans. It seems to me he counted his chickens before the eggs had hatched and as a consequence he is stuck with an immature (playing wise) backline. The forwards seem to be just fine with Van Humphries running that ship/

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
GC - Look to be taking steps to arrest their slide down the ladder with a huge contract for a big name coach

I am not sure a big name coach will be enough to attract decent cattle to bond but at least its a positive step in helping reshape the rugby program down here. There are definitely still some culture issues with young players tending to depart after they play the Colts rugby at Bond. Though this season has seen what would normally be an influx of cattle from TSS bypass Bond altogether for other clubs, with Bond missing out on the likes of Third, Fines and Brown to name a few who are plying their trade elsewhere.

On another topic altogether, I am tipping Bond to get up against Souths this weekend. Souths have hit struggle street and Bond pushed them close last time round and had the game won if they hadn't choked in the last couple of minutes. Bond still have the ability to spring a surprise on one of their last four opponents and I'm picking Souths this weekend.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Penguin I thought there was a kiwi bloke there last year - Ken Williams or Willis I think his name was? I could be wrong though and yes Mckellar was very popular with his players

T

Tigers Tale

I think Ken Wills was the coach in 2012 and Brett Whalley was the coach in 2011 (Whalley coached Res Grade premiership in 2010). Don McKellar was the coach in 2010.

I think Stevie Kefu was the assistant Coach in 2012-13.

Broad was coach in 2013.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I think Ken Wills was the coach in 2012 and Brett Whalley was the coach in 2011 (Whalley coached Res Grade premiership in 2010). Don McKellar was the coach in 2010.

I think Stevie Kefu was the assistant Coach in 2012-13.

Broad was coach in 2013.

Actually I think you're right TT, I think McKellor was going to take the reins in '13 but scored the Brumbies gig early pre season.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Looking at the bottom half of the table I would make these observations about coaching and structure;

GC - Look to be taking steps to arrest their slide down the ladder with a huge contract for a big name coach

Wests - Pat Byron is doing a great job with the cattle he has got, just needs some game breakers, losing Setu, Gillespie & Sef this season wouldn't have helped his overall plan. Wests on the right path.

Souths - Need change, Michael Broad has presided over 2 seasons of 6th place finishes. They have had some good results however are too inconsistent. They have bled quality players and there are growing rumblings about his coaching style and the way in which Reserve Grade have been left for dead this season. Maybe time for new a direction at the Nest

Norths - In a constant state of change and rebuilding. Tim Grady is a good coach and filled a hole when Paul Healy jetted off. Norths inability tap into the rich Northside talent pool is a worry, a potential idea would be tap into their gun 4th grade side and get Donovan Slade involved in the coaching and planning of Prems. Quality guy, good connections. They could and have done a lot worse!

ome good observations about these clubs. One would think with the off field set up, Bond could be a real force with more emphasis on retaining coast players, perhaps a big name coach could be one way to do this. At the end of the day, you can't stop a young school leaver moving to Brisbane to study or undertake an apprenticeship.

Norths had some success with a big name coach and it certainly saved the club 10 years ago from folding when former Wallaby Chris Roche took over the coaching reigns. He brought several players from uni lower grades over (turned them into premier players), including convincing former reds prop Peter Loane to come out of retirement. I don't think they have ever fully recovered since Roche moved on, some rash coaching appointments when they could have done with someone like Healy earlier and constant player turnover hasn't helped.

I admire what Pat Byron has done at Wests as well, one feels that he gave several players (sef, greene and fepulai) opportunities to become established premier players and they've turned round and thrown it back in his face by leaving for other clubs. With the rise of BBC in the GPS rugby comp, perhaps wests can tap into some of these Tom barker coached talents.

As for souths, I think they have always had strong lower grades, filled with experienced ex prems player. There will always be some grumblings by these players in terms of what's going on up top. Not having the traditional schools like lauries and BSHS being strong probably hasn't helped them either in recent times.

From talking to different people, it seems that there may be a new wave of younger coaches coming through who could be a bit more up to date with the modern game. Coaches who had success in years gone by, may have become a tad outdated (arguably) in todays current game. To me, the younger generation of QPR coaches Arnold, Byron, Heenan, Mathison, Seib are a bit more recent in terms of their playing days than perhaps others, I would also place McKellar in this bracket, despite moving onto S15. Perhaps they relate to players better and are more familiar with the modern game? This opinion will vary on who you talk to and I say this as an older bloke.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I feel Wests will continue to struggle for a while yet. One of their issues is that geographically they sit between two clubs, Uni and GPS, who are consistently strong in both Premier Grade and Premier Colts which is far more appealing to school leavers. You'll notice a lot of St Peters and BBC old boys from the past couple of years at UQ and down at Yoku whereas traditionally they'd flock to Wests.

It must be hard for the Bulldogs to see Uni and GPS with over 80 colts on the books and only 40 or so down at the Kennel. Especially considering these players are electing to take less game time and possibly playing in a lower team rather than heading to a club that is in need of players.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good to see big Radike Samo back down at GPS tonight.

Playing ranks throughout the club have been rung dry with injuries of late. It will be a tough task for the prems to get over the line without either strike centres playing.

The reserve grade match against Easts also shapes up to be a good one, thus far, Easts are the only team to get within 15 points of the undefeated GPS team (lost by 5 points when they met in may).

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah Grasso has a couple of reggies games under his belt now and the sc joint is causing minimal pain for now, unfortunate for Christie who has done nothing wrong and often a standout in the team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah Grasso has a couple of reggies games under his belt now and the sc joint is causing minimal pain for now, unfortunate for Christie who has done nothing wrong and often a standout in the team.

Turns out changing clubs has been great for young Thumbs. He was probably seen as the 3rd or 4th choice half at Sunnybank but has gone to GPS and played a heap of Premier. It goes to show that sometimes a new environment can be great for a player.

T

Tigers Tale

Jeeper - I hope you aren't looking for excuses ahead of tomorrow mate.

Easts haven't beaten GPS at Bottomley for 3 seasons. (2011 W E28-G23; 2012 L 14-19 & 2013 L 20-29)

With GPS leading the Reserve Grade comp arguably you should have the best depth in the Premier Grade comp capable of handling a few outs.

Hence GPS come to Bottomley as favourites.

Part of being successful is that your players get called up to rep duties - Easts missed a lot of their Reds A players when they took on Sydney Uni and Souths (rnd 2) this year. Some of these guys have also been unavailable due to benching for the Reds at some stages as well. Easts were also prohibited from playing Placid whilst he was rested in preparation for Aust U20 representation.

You just have to go with what you've got.

As Henry Newbolt put it in Cricket parlons:

Ten to make and the match to win—A bumping pitch and a blinding light,An hour to play and the last man in.And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote"Play up! play up! and play the game!"

Look forward to seeing GPS at Bottomley tomorrow regardless of who runs out for them it will be an epic encounter with a lot to play for.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Jeeper - I hope you aren't looking for excuses ahead of tomorrow mate.

Easts haven't beaten GPS at Bottomley for 3 seasons. (2011 W E28-G23; 2012 L 14-19 & 2013 L 20-29)

With GPS leading the Reserve Grade comp arguably you should have the best depth in the Premier Grade comp capable of handling a few outs.

Hence GPS come to Bottomley as favourites.

Part of being successful is that your players get called up to rep duties - Easts missed a lot of their Reds A players when they took on Sydney Uni and Souths (rnd 2) this year. Some of these guys have also been unavailable due to benching for the Reds at some stages as well. Easts were also prohibited from playing Placid whilst he was rested in preparation for Aust U20 representation.

You just have to go with what you've got.

As Henry Newbolt put it in Cricket parlons:

Ten to make and the match to win—A bumping pitch and a blinding light,An hour to play and the last man in.And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote"Play up! play up! and play the game!"

Look forward to seeing GPS at Bottomley tomorrow regardless of who runs out for them it will be an epic encounter with a lot to pay for.

This is a huge game, Tigers need to play field position and take every point on offer. GPS have been a problem team for over ten years now for the Tigers and it needs to stop on Saturday. I think a massive crowd will favour the Tigers who are hungry to make the finals. On another note what has happened to Prem Reserve Grade? They were awful at Norths and worse against Uni. I understand that injuries are showing up a lack of depth but surely we can still play to a pattern and take reasonable options. Lower grade results in general are very disappointing. Are Easts too Prem focused ? GPS and Uni are the two best depth clubs with all grades final bound. What does Easts have to do to improve the quality of its lower grades? It's also been a while since Prem Colts have threatened to win a title, what's going on with that? Every year we blood three or four good Colts but how many are taking the step to play Seniors ? Culturally something is wrong if 15/45 Colts don't continue on to Seniors. Plenty to discuss , interested in others observations, suggestions and or conclusions.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Roma may be a little too far for me, so I might head over to Easts v GPS or watch Brothers Reserves run out.

I hope you boys win, TT. Good luck.

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
Any news on when the BOND coaching gig will be decided.. my sources tell me its a closed shop and a 3 horse race.

T

Tigers Tale

Fritz - I don't know what the answer is in regards Easts lower grades and colts.

Well one really delivers the other - most colts end up in the lower grades apart from the stars - so if you have ordinary colts then this will ultimately manifest itself in ordinary lower grades.

Are Easts too Prem focussed? Well if the lower grades and colts performed better that would share the focus around a bit.

As a club I don't think we engage with the modern youth/teenager. Easts have never been a club that chases colts in an aggressive way - it has always been "If they want to play for Easts - they'll come" maybe that has to change a bit.

I don't really know, but I am sure that Easts are not the only club with this problem and you are correct in saying GPS & UNI do it well and hence they find themselves at the top of the tree when it comes to the Doughty Shield but it is only 5/6 years back when Easts won the Doughty Shield??

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
I agree Jets - Broad seems like a good guy and a good coach.

Losing Muirhead, Kefu, etc hasn't help their cause this year.

Is it just the players that need a good hard look at themselves or could it be that the Board/Management need to also look in the mirror as well because you need to treat people appropriately and what has happened to Doubles could not be good for the karma at the club.

I don't want to take a pot shot at Souths here but why do so many sons of former Souths players play at Easts? Why do they fail to attract Old Boy support?

I don't know what the make up of the Board is at Souths but are they people who have a long running association with the club and understand the culture at the place?

There are four former players on the Board at Easts (Stoddart, Box, Mowen & anor) and despite the fact that Easts would love to have greater success across the board, the Board (Now led by Stoddart & previously by Peter Murdoch) has done a great job turning the club around from a difficult financial position just only 4/5 years back.

The one club (Seniors & Juniors) approach has certainly worked for Easts, Brothers, Sunnybank and GPS it would seem and that only comes about from coordinated cooperation of many at these club.

TT - Didn't Tigerland pick up a few of these discarded players? Thought I read this earlier in the thread. Surely those boys indicated why they made the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.