• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

It would be nice of the former Easts Premier Captain(99) - Richard Graham - to take Sam Johnson to Perth it's a lovely place to visit!! Seriously Johnson is a fine player and deserves a shot at S15, and the Force game would be an ideal opportunity to blood him.

No matter who GPS run out this Saturday it will be a great encounter with both clubs desperate to get the points - it is Cromwell Cup day at Easts.

Big Dog I would be very surprised if Hegarty turns out for GPS this year - even if he returns after his S15 duties are completed that will only give him two games and that won't qualify him for the finals. It is a rule in place so that clubs just can't fly in any player from another Aust Franchise or OS based player to play for them in finals. Reds players automatically qualify to play for their QPR club but that is a whole different situation.

If the rule wasn't in place what would stop Uni flying in a Morahan/Drew Michell/Laurie Weeks or Ian Prior; GPS - Ruan Smith/Radike Samo; Sunnybank - Digby/Kingi/Blake; Bros - Murphy/McKibbin; Easts - Butler/Rory Murphy to play in the finals.

Hegarty was not a hard luck story for GPS last year - it was the rules.

Reg would love to see Toua back in Tigers colours but I can't see it happening. The two blokes more likely and desperately needed are Paraka & Sanday. Hopefully Toby White is not far away either.

Easts scrum did have its moments on the weekend but its lineout and work at the breakdown was good so if they put Paraka, Ready & Sanday back into the front row that would make a huge difference at scrum time.

Jets - the Tigers aren't dead and buried yet. In 2013 they drew with Uni 20-20 in Round 13 and then didn't lose a another game - hopefully history will repeat in 2014.

If anything can be said about Easts this year it is that when all looked lost they have responded with a lot of character. That has been on the back of the input of the young players - Gunn, Wilkin, Fattal, Moore, Deck - and a few older heads - Brandon, Riley, Mullins, Wilder, Randell - who have really stood up.

They walk a tight rope but they won't die wondering - they play with heart and character.

T

Tigers Tale

What will Uni and Sunnybank line-ups look like in round 17 and beyond?

What will Uni do with there back three when they get their Reds back?
Will Rod Davies play in the Finals? JJ will obviously go back to #15, and then is it Parker and Davies on the wings?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets - the Tigers aren't dead and buried yet. In 2013 they drew with Uni 20-20 in Round 13 and then didn't lose a another game - hopefully history will repeat in 2014.

If anything can be said about Easts this year it is that when all looked lost they have responded with a lot of character. That has been on the back of the input of the young players - Gunn, Wilkin, Fattal, Moore, Deck - and a few older heads - Brandon, Riley, Mullins, Wilder, Randell - who have really stood up.

They walk a tight rope but they won't die wondering - they play with heart and character.

I don't think they are dead yet but I think they will have to win every game to make the finals. They play 3 teams above them on the ladder in the next 3 weeks so they can catch up.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What will Uni and Sunnybank line-ups look like in round 17 and beyond?

What will Uni do with there back three when they get their Reds back?
Will Rod Davies play in the Finals? JJ will obviously go back to #15, and then is it Parker and Davies on the wings?

It will depend on the QRU. If they let the Reds players play Premier Rugby then the team line ups will no doubt change. it the players are required to take time off then it will cause some issues as you'd be loath to change a winning line up going into the finals.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT - although I do agree with your points about clubs not being allowed to fly players in from outside the QRU program it wasn't the actual reason Hergarty was denied qualification.

An over site at the club meant that despite nominating GPS as his Premier club prior the season, he had failed to actually sign the registration papers before returning to QLD to play a couple of round games post S15. Had he signed the form at the start of the year he would have been qualified. It was the same situation as Sean McMahon who was away with the 7s for most of the year but because he had fully signed onto the club he was allowed to play in finals. Not sure what the situation is with either of those two for this year though.

guru13

Frank Nicholson (4)
I bumped in to the family of Levi Aumua, a fringe QLD U20s centre from GPS, and they informed me he had signed with Bordeaux in France for 2 years, 2015-16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote how does a young up n comer, get that sort of gig? im intrigued as too how that happens. great opportunity for the kid.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Jets - With McIntyre back from 20's, how will Third be accommodated? Wonderful position to be in especially with Benny Lucas around the corner also.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's a great position to be in but also one that has to be managed. Mitch has developed really well this year and you don't want to make him feel like he is being dropped. They played McIntyre off the bench against Norths and that worked quite well but that was a one off and he is too classy not to be starting come finals time.

When you also consider that Brando Va'alu is due back after being away with Samoa it creates a few headaches as he was a standout at 15 before he departed.

It will be a tough time for Rod Seib to work out.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - Saturday will just be the entre for the Bottomley crowd before the main event the following Saturday!!

There should be big crowds for both Saturdays with no School football on.

The result of this Saturday's game will impact on the crowd numbers the following Saturday though.

It's an exciting time of the year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Filth - Saturday will just be the entre for the Bottomley crowd before the main event the following Saturday!!

There should be big crowds for both Saturdays with no School football on.

The result of this Saturday's game will impact on the crowd numbers the following Saturday though.

It's an exciting time of the year.
If Easts get up this week, the match against Brothers will be huge crowd wise.

Not just because it's ladies day, not just the rivalry, but the situation with it essentially being a knock out match.

But first things first, time to beat GPS.

T

Tigers Tale

Pauly - Randwick & Brothers supporters still live off their 1980s deeds and neither club appreciates that they are not the super powers in Australian Rugby that they once were.

Clearly the advent of Super Rugby has changed the club landscape but clearly Sydney Uni is currently the most successful Rugby Club in Australia.

Brothers (one premiership ('09) since 1987) and Randwick (one premiership ('00) since 1996) for records of 1 in 27 years and 1 in 18 years respectively - that is GPS (1 in 19) & Magpie (1 in 15) like stats!!!

Sorry shouldn't be putting Sxxx on GPS in the lead up to this weekend.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Pauly - Randwick & Brothers supporters still live off their 1980s deeds and neither club appreciates that they are not the super powers in Australian Rugby that they once were.

Clearly the advent of Super Rugby has changed the club landscape but clearly Sydney Uni is currently the most successful Rugby Club in Australia.

Brother (one premiership ('09) since 1987) and Randwick (one premiership ('00) since 1996) for records of 1 in 27 years and 1 in 18 years respectively - that is GPS (1 in 19) & Magpie (1 in 15) like stats!!!

Didn't a Croft/ Hardman led Brothers side take the chocolates in 2009?

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
If Easts get up this week, the match against Brothers will be huge crowd wise.

Not just because it's ladies day, not just the rivalry, but the situation with it essentially being a knock out match.

But first things first, time to beat GPS.
It is also a good lead in to the Reds v Tahs at Suncorp that night. I am sure that for many the Bottomley Park match up will rank higher in importance.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)

Brothers (one premiership ('09) since 1987) and Randwick (one premiership ('00) since 1996) for records of 1 in 27 years and 1 in 18 years respectively - that is GPS (1 in 19) & Magpie (1 in 15) like stats!!!

Yes TT, the stench of failure sits heavy in the air at Crosby.

Just last week some of the old boys of were discussing the situation and it was agreed that 4 premierships in 8 decades was the new benchmark we should be striving for.

T

Tigers Tale

Ironingman happy for you to be yesterday's heroes, and you will note that I have given credit to Brothers (Shaw era) in this forum before but my point is that Brothers & Randwick for both their fine long histories are not the dominate clubs in their respective competitions that they once were - however the only ones that don't appreciate that are Brothers & Randwick supporters.

As we have seen in AFL over the weekend - humility in sporting success is very important for the good of the game.

We all respect the sustained success that Randwick, Brothers and Souths were able to achieve through their golden eras (all built on the back of some outstanding players who did great things for club, state & nation) but it is history and what is more important to me is the game and the team that my club runs out in circa 2014.

I have also said on this forum before that for all the bravado associated with pigeon holing particular clubs you will find that Rugby clubs have more in common than they are different. May we all enjoy the ride of supporting our own clubs.

Supporting one's club is a journey not a destination.

Enjoy supporting your club this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.