• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes I totally agree, Ironingman.

I remember seeing him absolute wallop a player from Easts or GPS once - (poor bloke had to run on from Reserve Grade to make his debut.)

However, Chucky Freney has more than made up for the butchered strip hole left by Crofty.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - Croft dead set legend and Freney is one of the best #7 in the comp his dual with Gunn this Saturday will be a ripper.

Ironingman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes I totally agree, Ironingman.

I remember seeing him absolute wallop a player from Easts or GPS once - (poor bloke had to run on from Reserve Grade to make his debut.)

However, Chucky Freney has more than made up for the butchered strip hole left by Crofty.

Agree Filth, Freney (Another great Brothers name) is certainly top shelf. TT is spot on, Freney v Gunn should be a ripper. As TT would say, 3 more sleeps.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Very happy to see Johnson, Kuridrani and Kerevi all in the Reds 23 match day squad. Would be great if they all got on the field together.

On the flip side though, another weekend with a depleted back line for GPS Premier Grade, they could be fairly light on this week depending if Zangari is fit to play.

Tommy B

Bob McCowan (2)
Very happy to see Johnson, Kuridrani and Kerevi all in the Reds 23 match day squad. Would be great if they all got on the field together.

On the flip side though, another weekend with a depleted back line for GPS Premier Grade, they could be fairly light on this week depending if Zangari is fit to play.
Big Dog, it is good to see some young players get a chance for the Reds, but saying the GPS side is 'depleted' is a bit unfair to your reserve grade team. They are undefeated this season, and most of that team would play Premier Grade at other clubs. It should be good to see some other players get a game against another top club and see how they go in Premier Grade.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Big Dog, it is good to see some young players get a chance for the Reds, but saying the GPS side is 'depleted' is a bit unfair to your reserve grade team. They are undefeated this season, and most of that team would play Premier Grade at other clubs. It should be good to see some other players get a game against another top club and see how they go in Premier Grade.

Its no disrespect to anyone in the Reserve grade team and most of them have played significant minutes in Prems this year, its simply a fact that 3 players are missing from GPS starting backline due to Reds commitments. I'm sure anyone who gets selected, especially out of that strong reggies side will put on a good show but being able to emulate the dominance of Kerevi etc is a big ask.

T

Tigers Tale

Does the unavailability of a number of the regular GPS Reserve grade side playing up this weekend make them vulnerable tomorrow to the Uni Res Grade side who are coming second by only 5 points despite the fact that Uni have dropped two games (to GPS & Easts)?

Team P W L D F A Df BP <7p BP 4t Pts
GPS 13 13 0 0 551 104 447 0 10 62
UNI 13 11 2 0 533 217 316 1 12 57

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT to be honest, I think the GPS Reserve team are still looking fairly strong. They'll have the likes of Christie, McWhirter and Logan playing in the backs whom have all started a few games for Prems this year as well as younger guys like Champtaloup and Stower in the forwards who played higher this year also. The depth at the club seems to be really good considering players of that caliber are still stuck in reggies despite the unavailability/injuries in Prems.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The reserves are feeding from the 1st grade side that won its last 10 games (before dropping last week) the forward pack is relatively unchanged other than frosty coming up who can match anyone when he can be bothered. Craig Hunt is killing it at the back at the moment and looks to be getting a lot of his pace back.
Unfortunately it's the lower grades looking very weakened this weekend, we may barely have a 4th grade to run out.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Generally if your Premier Grade team is going well, the same is occurring in Reserve Grade. I remember when we won back in 2009, both Premier and Reserve won and were strong throughout the season.

It's obviously due to the fact that if someone from Premier Grade gets injured, a player of similar skill level can come in from the grade below, therefore not weakening the team. However, if the same situation occurs and a player from reserve grade comes in who isn't as skilful, then you have problems.

I think casting a predicament of how a PG side will go throughout the season, is reflected partly through the strength of RG side. I know Eastwood and Sydney University are traditionally strong in both grades down in the Sydney comp, it makes a massive difference.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Brothers 26 d Easts 9
Uni 24 d GPS 8
Bond Uni 50 d Wests 29
Sunnybank 62 d Norths 14

The cream now appears to be rising to the top.

Brothers gave Easts a 2nd half spanking at David Wilson field today. Fantastic defence from the filth kept Easts tryless. Brothers led 9-6 at oranges and Easts seemed to be still in it but alas it was not to be. Brothers' loose forwards were outstanding and Sam Greene the #10 had a blinder. They are going to cause some headaches in the finals. Their forwards were relentless. Well played filth - we won't be seeing the Tigers at Ballymore in August.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well said, Pauly.

That was one of the best wins I've seen from Brothers in a while, especially their defence.

Brothers forwards were particularly dominant, with Charles Freney and Jack Payne being specific stand outs. Carter, Symes, Bennie, Suisala and Beauchamp were very solid in attack and defence as well. Matt Mafi was yellow carded in the 1st half, but came on to strengthen the Brothers scrum. Mafi in my opinion has been great this year, a very consistent front-rower.

Andrew Coady has now 198 first grade caps. Marvellous achievement.

The halves were outstanding. Greene played his best game in the butchers strips, whilst Dave Campbell was also exceptional. They both dominated their counterparts.

Safe to say everyone from Brothers played well.

Easts on the other hand weren't too bad. Jack Mullins was head and shoulders the best player on the Easts side, whilst Placid made some great runs before being injured - similar to his debut for Qld.

I think Mullins should stay permanent #13.

All in all, I think Brothers were a lot better than Easts and deserve the win. And I look forward to old boys day at Crosby Park next week against GPS albeit with TT donning the blue and white.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
First half was pretty even I thought. Vey much an arm-wrestle.

But second half was all Brothers, and I'll give credit where it's due , they completely outplayed us in the second 40min.

Take into consideration the filth blew about 4 tries, the scoreline flatters Easts a bit.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Watched the top 2 contest at Yoku Rd. Even first 40 minutes but then Uni took off. Too strong in forwards for struggling (injuries) Jeeps. The youngest were among the best on the field. Korczyk (looks and plays like Schalk Burger), Dalgleish and Tuttle only 19 no doubt they have bright future. I can only hope they will stay in QLD.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Great day for uni at yoku rd yesterday winning 9 from 10 and going along way to making sure the Dougherty shield stays on the wall at st Lucia for another year

Status
Not open for further replies.